using Bleach as chlorine question

I usually put the bleach in and go to work. The next day morning FC before I add more is around 2.4. This past saturday I added half bottle 121 oz of chlorox 8.25 and my FC was up over 5. Unfortunately, we rarely actually swim in the pool, so FC getting red eyes is not an issue (except for my dumb dogs that like to drink it). I feel like adding half a bottle of bleach a day seems like a lot of $$, but the pool has been algae free since I drained it and started over.

I have seen that since I am in Houston, some recommend CYA of 50. Do you guys have any idea if I raise my CYA to 50 if I would be having to add more or less bleach to maintain a minimum level of 4? for me to keep a minimum of 4 right now would probably take a bottle of bleach a day. I think Half a bottle of bleach a day is already pretty expensive.

FC > 5 ppm with appropriate for your CYA level will not cause red eyes. That is usually due to the pH being off or there being higher CC levels.

The higher the CYA level, the higher you have to maintain the FC, but usually you would lose less FC each day to the sun.

We have a few Texans that report a FC loss of 4ppm with a CYA of 50ppm in the heat of the summer. For your size pool, that could easily be over a bottle of bleach required everyday. It is what it is ... you have a big pool so get to use a lot of bleach.

FC > 5 ppm with appropriate for your CYA level will not cause red eyes. That is usually due to the pH being off or there being higher CC levels.

The higher the CYA level, the higher you have to maintain the FC, but usually you would lose less FC each day to the sun.

We have a few Texans that report a FC loss of 4ppm with a CYA of 50ppm in the heat of the summer. For your size pool, that could easily be over a bottle of bleach required everyday. It is what it is ... you have a big pool so get to use a lot of bleach.

Fellow Texan here and I keep my CYA level at 40ppm. In the summer with the water temp between 86-88 degrees I loose 1.5-2ppm of FC a day with NO BATHER LOAD. The entire pool has sun from sunrise to about 3pm Then it starts to get shade. You must keep all organics out of the pool make sure everything is clean. polaris, skimmers, pump basket, filter grids.

Just to be clear, if I add bleach, have FC of 5, then the next morning have FC of 2.4, does this mean that I am losing 2.6 ppm of FC a day?

I have no idea what "no bather load" means.

Organics, you mean leaves, dead worms, sticks, etc.?

By posting "polaris, skimmers, pump basket, filter grids" you meant keep those clean as well?

I have no idea what "no bather load" means.

Bather Load is how many people in the pool that day (or dogs). I think for every hour a person is in the pool you loose .3ppm FC

Organics, you mean leaves, dead worms, sticks, etc.?

Correct

By posting "polaris, skimmers, pump basket, filter grids" you meant keep those clean as well?

Yes these need to be checked and kept clean leaving organics in the pool will cause a loss of FC. Obviously the DE grids can't be cleaned everyday

probably the same weather as you had.

here is what my pool of over 200 CYA looked like until I drained it a month ago. Scroll through pics.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/90598-Killing-yellow-algae

How do I start with a high enough FC level? just add more bleach?

When I drained the pool, except for maybe a couple hundred gallons that I couldn't get with the pump, I rinsed the sides down with 50% liquid bleach 10% and water. So when I filled the pool, it had 10 gallons of 10% FC in it.

Sorry if my questions are sound dumb or like I am making this difficult. It is just that I got this far and I don't want to screw this up. If I need to be adding more bleach on a daily basis, then that is what I have to do. Lots of trees around my yard and now some are shedding some kind of tiny flowers/seeds that keep landing in my pool and I keep skimming out.

Leslie pool convinced me to buy some Phos-free product last year. SHould I keep using this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ignore Leslie pool. I looked at your pics and I just want to make sure that you do not have a pool light correct? If you do have a light algae could still be in the niche.

Your questions are fine and no your not making it difficult. I just want to make sure you don't have a parasitic FC loss from something still in the pool. If not then we can start playing with CYA levels and how much fc is lost from the sunlight

my pool light was filled with water and I pulled it out and rinsed all that down with liquid chlorine as well. I haven't put the new one in yet and the only thing in the water right now is the cord. the light is out of the pool.

I have been algae free, except when my polaris picked up some debris off the bottom and was in the pool for a couple days, i noticed a bout 2 inches of algae on the net. I immediately pulled it out and bleached it down. I didn't know if my FC was too low or if it was more prone to algae, due to it being right next to the 'organics' it picked up.

The most important thing to do to prevent algae in your pool is to keep FC above the minimum level at ALL times for your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart. It is fine to aim a little above the target level just to be sure until you get a better understanding of your pool's chlorine consumption.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read to get a better understanding of water chemistry.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.