Using automatic (or other?) dishwashing detergent to clean DE grids

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
From doing some research on older threads here about cleaning DE grids, it has been suggested a few places to soak them in detergent. I use a large bucket that accommodates my entire grid assy but have only ever used the pool store "filter cleaner". Is using a dishwash detergent mixture better? I just assumed that whatever 'acid' is in the filter cleaner solution would degrease and whatever else to effectively "clean" them.

Today I installed a set of new grids and, in looking at the old ones (well, actually only two years old!), once taken all part from the pastic rings that go in between each of the 10 grids, what always LOOKED clean after a thorough hose-spraying following each backwash turns out to not look clean at all. There's no way to really see what they look like unless truly taking apart the whole assy. So if anyone has a suggestion on how much dishwash detergent to use, that'd be worth a try. I perhaps am diluting the filter cleaner too much since the bucket is really quite large, but I only fill it half-way with the water/cleaner mix, and then after 12 hours of the one half of the grids soaking, I flip it and give the other half another 12 hours. It may VERY well be that the newer grids simply aren't made as well / durable as older ones. Now wouldn't THAT come as a real shocker LOL 😆

So here are the new ones......the DE dominoes game.....FUN!!! I cleaned all those plastic spacers real well too - there was gunk in between the slats that are in each of those. Those individual compartments I'm referring to don't pass through, but still...figured can't hurt. Hardest part is finding the threaded piece when passing the rod all the way through the assembled grids. This thing can fall apart VERY easily before it's all tightened up. Easier with two people. These grids are also getting harder to find, being that they were for the old Anthony Apollo VA-52 filter. Thing is built like a tank - NO plastic parts anywhere - all stainless steel. Have never even had to replace the clamping ring that holds the two parts of the tank together.

IMG_2048.jpegIMG_2050.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going through the same exercise with the Apollo filter each year in October when closing the pool for long, snowy and frosty New Jersey winters. I never used any detergents or acid to clean the grids, just water through the hose nozzle.
IMG_0430.JPG
The Polaris 280 in the picture above was bought in 2013. It runs happily the 10th season now:
IMG_3275.jpg
All the equipment has been replaced after replastering the pool. It's true that the Apollo filter was built like a tank, but its efficiency was so much worse than that of my new Jandy DEV60. Now I never have to backwash the filter. I clean it only once per year when closing the pool - take out the grid and hose it thoroughly.

The pad in 2016:
IMG_0431.JPG
The same pad in 2022:
vertical_mount03.jpg

But this never ends. I'm planning to replace the single speed Jandy pump with a VS one and build a simple system running on an SBC (Raspberry Pi ?) to control the filter and Polaris pumps, the SWCG and the lights.

Reactions: anthonypool89
Now I never have to backwash the filter. I clean it only once per year when closing the pool - take out the grid and hose it thoroughly.
When you were using the Apollo all those years - about how many times would you backwash / replace DE? Just curious. And, how does your starting pressure on the Jandy compare to that of the Apollo? I seem to recall always being around 8 before I had a heater plumbed into the system. Ever since, start-up has been around 10-11 but lately more like 13-14. Start-up with the new grids yesterday was at 13 - see how long it stays there.

I do that every time I backwash, also cleaning out the tank, skimmer, and pump strainer, but every few weeks soak the grids in the filter cleaner. None of that has made much difference this season with the short filter cycles.
May be time for a "light" acid wash of the grids. They are likely calcium clogged. A good product that actually has an acid base and works well is this: Bio-Dex Quick-Spray Cartridge Cleaner. Just be sure to stand upwind when you spray and don't do it over any concrete you care about.

The long way is a soak in a 20 - 1 acid solution for an hour or so. There are many videos online about how to do this and how to dispose of the acid solution when done.

Reactions: anthonypool89
After buying a 3rd set of new grids last month (have 2 other sets that were bought two years ago), I thought that while the new set is currently in use and doing fine so far, might as well really go to work on the other 20 grids. I soaked them overnight, as usual, in the filter cleaner but unassembled - just the grids without the spacers and bar attached the way the whole thing goes in the filter tank as a complete assembly. Then, took them out and got a bucketful of the filter cleaning solution and with a long-handled brush throughly scrubbed all 40 sides. Amazing how some of the dirt towards the center hubs cleaned right off. The filter cleaner alone SHOULD remove any deposits, but given the short cycles I've been experiencing even after having a set of "clean" grids, I don't think the filter cleaner alone is doing enough. It'll be interesting to see what happens IF I get to even try them out this season yet. No way to know how long this current filter cycle will go with the new set of grids.

Dominoes, anyone?

IMG_2060.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.