Using a tarp as a temporary cover. Is this okay? Or could I potential damage my hot tub?

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
My hot tub cover had a leak in it and I decided to try and repair it first before buying a new one. I took the cover off and I'm drying the foam insulation. We have no freezing weather in the forecast, so I turned off the hot tub. My plan is to just run it twice a day. I'm not concerned about the water chemistry because I'll just drain it anyways. However, I didn't want to drain it yet. I went ahead and put a tarp over it. However, the tarp isn't very thick and plenty of sunlight can still make it in. The hot tub is a fiberglass shell, but my understanding is that the sun can damage the shell. I'm not sure how long it will take for the foam to dry, but I'm thinking it will be like this for at least a few days. Any concern with this?

20230410_190118.jpg

A few days should be ok, but (I'm no expert) if you're going to run it manually it might be better to turn the temperature all the way down and set filter cycle to minimum instead. You would be surprised how many posts show up that the tub misbehaves after having it off...

Reactions: Mdragger88
So long as there’s water in it it should be ok. Maybe go get another tarp so it’s double covered. Be sure to do an Ahhsome purge before refilling. You can add a little bleach daily to prevent a swamp. Stir it around.

Reactions: Methuselah
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.