Using a heat pump to warm an above ground pool AND cool a shed?

ioinva

Jun 3, 2020
VA
Has anyone used the cold air return from a heating pump to cool off a nearby insulated work shed? I would leave the pump outdoors, and build a collector to bring the cold air indoors. Or, do I need to use a full heat recovery unit and an AC?

Have you felt how cold the air is that the HP fan throws off?

I think putting a "collector" on top of the HP will effect its cooling efficiency or cause it to overheat.

Will your "collector" have its own fan to duct the cold exhaust air into your shed?

I doubt you will get much cooling into the shed but I don't know what your local temperatures are.

I like the idea, but it's likely going to more issues than it's worth. At best you would be pumping cooler damp air into your shed. If conditioning the air is the insulated work shed is desired a mini split would best. I am sure there are systems out there that can be used to cool the the shed and dump the heat into the pool. But the pool probably wants more heat than you can pull out of your shed or your are going to turn your shed into a freezer. A 140K btu heat pump is about the same as a 12 ton a/c unit. If your shed is about 10K sq feet it might be something to look into. But I would guess solar panels shed roof would be a better option at that point.

One can dream. I have a cold pool i need to heat and thinking about building a shed/studio to take my very noisy hobby away from the bedrooms in the house. I had not thought about the humidity angle, which would be a deal breaker. ugh.

But thank you!!