Upgrading WFE-8 from 2hp to 3hp

tetlee

May 11, 2015
Tempe/Az
The 2hp motor attached to my Pentair WFE-8 just died. I've been wanting to replace it with a two-speed or variable and more powerful motor for a while.

From looking through the parts listing for the WFE-8 it looks like if I get a new 3HP impeller and replace the diffuser with the 3HP version (072928) I should be good.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

How old is the pump?

Thanks for response. I'm not sure how old. I was looking at the EVSS3-NS for $470 with seal kit, New impeller $50, diffuser $50, Shaft seal $20.

$590 Total. I looked at full pumps but can't get closer even with SRP rebate.

What size is your Triton Filter? filter size is an impor6tant limiting factor in pump size.

That's a good point I'd not considered. It's a Triton II 100. Would that be a problem? :/

It would run around 10-15 PSI normally. I'd guess that meant it wasn't the limiting factor?

The Triton TR-100, as you probably know, is rated for 100 GPM. A 3HP pump can produce more than that (probably) and i would say it is too much pump for the filter.

A 2HP capacity pump is still really more than you need but with the VS, you can manage the flow and stay around 15 psi. That should allow for everything to match up pretty well.

I just found the rebate online. Many places have the rebates so I knew to look.

I think that the SuperFlo VS should work. You really should not need a lot of horsepower.

If your 2.6 hp pump was not giving enough flow, something has to be off. That pump has at least twice as much power as you need.

If you want more available power, you could get the IntelliFlo and just run it at lower power (lower rpm).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.