Upgrading to a VS pump and possible filter upgrade

Jason46142

May 19, 2023
Indianapolis IN
In the fall of 2021 we bought a pool and a house came with it. It’s approximately 29,000 gallons. It’s about 16 wide and 34 long. The exposed plumbing is 2 inch and drops to 1.5 inch to the pool.

The current setup is a 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo High Performance Pump, a Raypak RP 2100 gas heater, and a Pentair Clean and Clear 240. We have an incline chlorinator running.
1 skimmer
1 bottom drain
3 outlets
Pool is about 45 feet from the mechanical items.

I want to upgrade the pump to a VS pump.
I saw this pump recently recommended

Are there any other recommendations.
I also think we need to upside the filter but I don’t know what size to buy.

Any suggestions on a VS pump and filter would be great!

That pump is a heckuva deal. Time will tell, but statistically speaking it should last much longer than the 1/3 it needs to to break even on cost.

Look at 420+ cartridge filters. Many swear by the bigger version of your current filter. Waterway has one (425 maybe?) at a steep discount like the pump, which should also last far longer than the cost suggests.

For a 29k gallon pool, would that be sufficient?
I wouldn't consider it a worthwhile upgrade from what you have. Every little bit helps, but it will only be 30% less cleanings. The size is directly proportional to how often it needs to be cleaned. Double what you have and it needs to be cleaned half as often. (Etc)

29k gallon pool - I’m going to upgrade to a 3HP VS CaliMar® Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP | CMARVSP3.0

I’m looking to upgrade my pools filter. We currently have a Clean and Clear 240.

I’ve come across two 425 cartridge filters that look really interning.
RX Clear - I can get it on Amazon for less than $600
Or XtremepowerUS for 700

They look like the same filter housing as the Clean and Clear 420.

Does anyone have any experience using these products?

The RX clear is $499 Here. I'd get the 525 for $599 if you are going that route.

Home Depot has the Xtreme 425 for $602

Alright in the middle of an upgrade and I’m not sure which filter to upgrade to. I’m going to try the RX Filter cartridges. Looks like the larger Pentair so why not 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pool 29k gallons
1 skimmer
1 drain
3 returns

Pump : I recently bought a Harris 1.5 HP VS for 350 brand new off marketplace.

I want to upsize my filter to from a Pentair Clean and Clear 240.

Would I be ok to go to 525 or should I get the 425?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.