Upgrading Pump Recommendations // Vacuum Recommendations

Tiziano

Oct 30, 2021
Clearwater, Florida
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on a pump upgrade as well as vacuuming. Main interests are energy conservation and eventual automation. Currently have an old single speed pump. System has a Hayward cartridge filter and a Hayward SWG. Was using an old suction Kreepy Krawler that has fallen apart now. Pool is 13.5k gals.

Pool store is having a sale this weekend and I would like to get the pump going. I think I will hold out for one of these wireless Dolphin Liberty's coming out any moment this spring but figure I can get going on the pump.

I would also love a little explanation on energy savings with these kinds of upgrades. My limited understanding is lowered RPMs on the motor required with VS pump and much less energy used by a robot cleaner? I figured a suction vacuum would use less energy but must be about the RPMs again there?

Would love some recs before I walk into the store :)

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 4
A variable speed pump will give you options. You run it on high when you want to really mix up some water (say, you've added a chemical) or you need some serious skimming action. You run it on a low low setting and it will probably cost you less to run 24/7 than that current pump for 8 hrs a day at its set level. The horsepower is what it *can do*, but you will use it at a lower speed just because you can and its saving electricity.

You'll tweak your RPMs/GPMs on the minimum that it takes to trigger your SWG to work, plus 100 just to be sure.

As to the vacuum... a robot saves because it doesn't require a stand alone booster pump to make it run. Those booster pumps and single speed pumps all use more electricity to run.

Maddie :flower:

A variable speed pump will give you options. You run it on high when you want to really mix up some water (say, you've added a chemical) or you need some serious skimming action. You run it on a low low setting and it will probably cost you less to run 24/7 than that current pump for 8 hrs a day at its set level. The horsepower is what it *can do*, but you will use it at a lower speed just because you can and its saving electricity.

You'll tweak your RPMs/GPMs on the minimum that it takes to trigger your SWG to work, plus 100 just to be sure.

As to the vacuum... a robot saves because it doesn't require a stand alone booster pump to make it run. Those booster pumps and single speed pumps all use more electricity to run.

Maddie :flower:
Thanks! Any specific pumps you see recommended a lot on here? Thanks for sending the Pump Basics link as well, looks like I'd be fine with whatever lowest rating VS pump I can get.

The suction cleaner I had didn't have any booster pump hooked up to it, it just went into a vacuum port in the side of the pool and I only have the one pump.

I would also love a little explanation on energy savings with these kinds of upgrades.
Each pool is different, but the energy savings are substantial with a VSP. I operate my system 24/7 at 1,000 rpm, which consumes 75 watts. That's ~$6/month in electricity.

much less energy used by a robot cleaner
I have a Warrior SE robot, which is a rebadged S200. It consumes 85 watts while operating. A two hour cleaning cycle costs two cents in electricity.

@Jimrahbe Saw you were tagged in the last post, so trying again :)

I am trying to decide which pump to get. Contractor is telling me to go with a Tristar 900. I am wondering if that's overkill and should be doing a Max-Flo? Happy to receive any and all pump recommendations. I am mostly interested in energy savings and at some point would love to add some automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.