Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
Bulverde, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK, the latest motor died... time for an upgrade I suppose. existing is a 1.5 (2.2) hp 2 speed. on a WhisperFlo wet end.
Suggestions on the best (longevity) option for a Variable speed motor. I HATE working on the pool.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What was your pump daily run time of low speed and high speed?

What was your pump daily run time of low speed and high speed?
Yes. Actually the low speed was 24/7 and High was about 4 hours for the pool sweep booster pump.
Its a 27000 gallons so it takes a while to turn it over 2 or 3 times. BUT I never actually calculated the turnover. that just kept it pretty clean.
That was from the original install in 2002. and caluclated by the builder originally...
definetly open to change, but it will require a little adjustment...
2" pipes to the pool with the sweep booster on a seperate line.

Turnover is meaningless and does not matter - Turnover of Pool Water - Further Reading

The cleaner booster pump should run fine with the main pump on a low speed.

Look at a Pentair Whisperflo VST pump or the 2 or 3HP B+D VS pump.

Reactions: Oldmxer
OK, the latest motor died... time for an upgrade I suppose. existing is a 1.5 (2.2) hp 2 speed. on a WhisperFlo wet end.
Suggestions on the best (longevity) option for a Variable speed motor. I HATE working on the pool.
Thanks in advance.
Nidec Neptune NPTQ225 will work. It gives complete control over run times and speeds. Eliminates the need for your existing timeclock.
Century EVO EVQ225 will work with your existing time clock, but the speed options and run times of those speeds is much more limited.

Nidec Neptune NPTQ225 will work. It gives complete control over run times and speeds. Eliminates the need for your existing timeclock.
Century EVO EVQ225 will work with your existing time clock, but the speed options and run times of those speeds is much more limited.
Thanks, have you used the Nidec Neptune motors? and what is a good source for them? I would not mind getting rid of the timer.

Thanks, have you used the Nidec Neptune motors? and what is a good source for them? I would not mind getting rid of the timer.
Have installed several and installed Waterway VSP which use them as well. Have had zero issues so far.
Search for NPTQ225 on line and get your best price. There are a couple of stores that have them for about $600.00.

Have installed several and installed Waterway VSP which use them as well. Have had zero issues so far.
Search for NPTQ225 on line and get your best price. There are a couple of stores that have them for about $600.00.
Great Thanks.. One last question then... If I installed the 2.7 (which Inyo carries and I have used them in the past)
if I get the larger 2.7, can I just run it on lower RPM to accomplish the same flow? The Whisperflo had a 2hp single speed originallly.
OR would it be bertter to shop elsewhere and get the 2.25. (which wild West is the same as the 2.7)
Inyo does not appear to carry the 2.25 version.
the whisperflo has a 073129 impeller Pentair WhisperFlo Pump Impeller, 2 THP | 1.5HP Full Rated & 2HP Uprated | - 073129 - INYOPools.com

Great Thanks.. One last question then... If I installed the 2.7 (which Inyo carries and I have used them in the past)
if I get the larger 2.7, can I just run it on lower RPM to accomplish the same flow? The Whisperflo had a 2hp single speed originallly.
OR would it be bertter to shop elsewhere and get the 2.25. (which wild West is the same as the 2.7)
Inyo does not appear to carry the 2.25 version.
the whisperflo has a 073129 impeller Pentair WhisperFlo Pump Impeller, 2 THP | 1.5HP Full Rated & 2HP Uprated | - 073129 - INYOPools.com
If you don't change the impeller, the larger horsepower motor won't make a difference. Yours is a 2hp uprated impeller. That is 2.25 total horsepower. It was a game manufacturers used to sell pumps in this country where bigger is often confused with better. Doesn't work that way with pool pumps in reality. If you originally purchased that pump, you thought you got a 2hp, 2.6 total horsepower pump, when you actually have a 1.5hp, 2.25 total horsepower, pump. Since the service-factor rating is above 2hp, it could be labeled as a 2hp pump.

The horsepower rating of a motor measures how much energy it can use and how much work it can do at full rpm. Your impeller determines how much work it will do at any rpm. Put a 5hp motor on that impeller and it will do 2.25 horsepower worth of work at full speed (3450 rpm) and use that much energy, though the motor is capable of much more.

The best thing you could do is also get a full-rated 2hp impeller (which was rated as 2.6 total horsepower on a single-speed pump) along with that 2.7 motor. Then you can then run a slower rpm and move more water and get the savings. The CMP 073130 is available on Amazon for about $46.00, a tremendous price if you compare it to OEM. CMP makes very good pool parts, I use them all the time.

Last edited: