Upgrade Jandy RS Board

Mikepat

Jun 24, 2020
Plano, TX
I have an older RS board where the chip is mounted to the board, and still has 9V battery backup.

I bought the following replacement but see this is from 2008 too.

Is there any value of upgrading what I currently have with this one? The old one uses the blue PDA to program and setup.

Can this new one use the old PDA? Can the CPU board be upgrade and is there any benefit of doing so?

I've search and seared, and really hard to find any information.

Attachments

• 20230425_103929.jpg
    20230425_103929.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 13
What are you attempting to do? What is your current firmware? O.1/O.2 is pretty dated and doesn't even properly support variable speed pumps.

You can upgrade the 50 pin CPU card itself to something newer, but again, what are you looking to accomplish?

For what it's worth, that board will support your PDA setup (PDA requires firmware M or newer).

The Aux 4 relay on my original board is out. Turning on Aux 4 via the control panel, the light turns red, but the relay is not triggered. If I place the relay on Aux 5, it works as expected. I'm not hearing a click when I press the Aux 4 button, and just see the LED light turn on. I bought this newer board just to fix this issue.

I would also like to control via my phone but hoping to avoid paying $1200 for a complete upgrade kit. Sounds like I will need to do that someday. I currently don't have a VSP but plan too.

Gotcha, thanks for the details. This firmware isn't new enough to run an iAqualink (web interface), either. So you'd have to upgrade the CPU card. If you scour fleabay long enough, you'll see recent firmware cards (like T.2, but V is most current) pop up every now and then for a few hundred bucks. Some sellers have listings up there all the time, but they're expensive, so just keep a search alert going. That would get you much newer firmware, iAqualink support, and VSP support.

You can then find an older iAqualink 2.0 j-box pretty cheap and then you have your web connectivity.

Of course, you could always just sell that board and buy an iQ-30-RS kit and get a new PCB with the latest firmware, and the iAqualink 3.0 j-box. In the meantime, you could throw that board in as-is and fix your aux problem at least.

Edit: alternatively, you can also send the board off to repair, there's a guy in California who does it. However, given the cost, I would just put that toward an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikepat
Gotcha, thanks for the details. This firmware isn't new enough to run an iAqualink (web interface), either. So you'd have to upgrade the CPU card. If you scour fleabay long enough, you'll see recent firmware cards (like T.2, but V is most current) pop up every now and then for a few hundred bucks. Some sellers have listings up there all the time, but they're expensive, so just keep a search alert going. That would get you much newer firmware, iAqualink support, and VSP support.

You can then find an older iAqualink 2.0 j-box pretty cheap and then you have your web connectivity.

Of course, you could always just sell that board and buy an iQ-30-RS kit and get a new PCB with the latest firmware, and the iAqualink 3.0 j-box. In the meantime, you could throw that board in as-is and fix your aux problem at least.

Edit: alternatively, you can also send the board off to repair, there's a guy in California who does it. However, given the cost, I would just put that toward an upgrade.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I am going to swap out board today.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.