*** UPDATED *** AGP install pics

msummers said:
Yes very, very nice. I am curious too about the steps what kind are they and how did you attach them?

Thank you...Not quite sure what type they are...they came with the pool...were designed for AGP without deck...i cut the outside ladder and mounted the outside ladder base to deck with small lag bolts...made ballast out of 4" pvc...the lag and pvc ballast keep it pretty sturdy...pics below...hope this helps.

Bo

Attachments

• 100_8186.JPG
    100_8186.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_8187.JPG
    100_8187.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_8188.JPG
    100_8188.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 114
We have those exact steps and have always had a problem attaching them to the deck....never thought to do it your way. I'm going to have to check and see if we still have all the parts to the outer ladder and see if I can get hubby to set them up like yours. Thanks for the great idea! :goodjob:

Would love to hear more about your ballast. We always have to put a huge rock in there to hold ours down and I'm not too keen on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
stephanie4136 said:
We have those exact steps and have always had a problem attaching them to the deck....never thought to do it your way. I'm going to have to check and see if we still have all the parts to the outer ladder and see if I can get hubby to set them up like yours. Thanks for the great idea! :goodjob:

Would love to hear more about your ballast. We always have to put a huge rock in there to hold ours down and I'm not too keen on that.

Thanks for the props...I built the ballast from 4" PVC pipes...the ones design for waste water...they are perfect for the job since there is no PSI on them at any time...cut them about 20" long...i filled them with stones and water and capped them with 4" caps...made 6 of them...once done i got in the pool with my goggles on and stacked them on the "tray" that is located at bottom of steps...in a three-two-one pyramid configuration...then used giant zip ties from Lowes to secure them to tray...one thing that i found is that once the ballast is full of rocks and water, it is hard to put the second cap on since you can't compress water...so i drilled a 1/16 hole on the second cap...glued it on, then patched the small hole with a piece of plastic from a bleach bottle using the same pvc glue i used for the caps...here are pics...hope this helps:

:cheers:...Bo

Attachments

• 100_8175.JPG
    100_8175.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_8173.JPG
    100_8173.JPG
    511.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_8174.JPG
    100_8174.JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 106
stephanie4136 said:

I meant to ask you to post a pic of how you have them set up now, if you will...just curious...Thanks...Bo

Excellent idea! Thank you so much for the info and the pics. It's always easier to understand when you can see it. Definately have to try this. One question, did you use pea gravel or another type of stone?

Our steps aren't in right now because I've been trying to clear the swamp from not covering it last winter, now thinking I suddenly have metals to deal with. :( Not sure why they decided to show up now. I'll have to look to see if I have any old pictures that show the way the steps were attached. They were on using an L bracket screwed to the deck and and also screwed into the hand rails of the steps. One of the reasons I hated it so much is because when people come over to swim, they always seem to put all of their weight on the top rail of the pool and it sounds like the wall will buckle. The kids don't seem to hurt it, just the adults.

stephanie4136 said:
Excellent idea! Thank you so much for the info and the pics. It's always easier to understand when you can see it. Definately have to try this. One question, did you use pea gravel or another type of stone?

No sweat...i used quarter sized river rock i had leftover from another pool project (border around pool)...but i think any stone, the heavier the better, will do...dont forget i filled them up with water after i put stone in them to make them heavier...then capped them off.

Hope this helps...Bo

If a person were to sit on the deck and hang their feet into the water (thus with thighs on the top pool rail), would this be an issue in terms of damaging the pool wall or rail? Assume a rail that is not advertised as being able to be stood or sat on. Are you finding that normal use includes kids standing on the rail (and edge of the deck) to jump in, again causing weight on top of the rail?

I love the look of the deck you built, but was just thinking if I did a deck that the boards would have to extend over the top rail. Thanks for any input.

We thought about doing something like that w/our deck when we built it but we have to cover ours over the winter and didn't think we could manage a cover easily with the deck coming right up to the pool.

We have a bit of a gap between the pool and the decking which I don't really like but am trying to figure out a simple fix for. I do like that we can sit on the deck of our pool and let our feet dangle in ... sometimes I do that while we have kids swimming and I don't feel like getting all the way in.

Suziqzer said:
We thought about doing something like that w/our deck when we built it but we have to cover ours over the winter and didn't think we could manage a cover easily with the deck coming right up to the pool.

We have a bit of a gap between the pool and the decking which I don't really like but am trying to figure out a simple fix for. I do like that we can sit on the deck of our pool and let our feet dangle in ... sometimes I do that while we have kids swimming and I don't feel like getting all the way in.

Suziqzer, gotta a pic?

Thanks...Bo

Robins Airman said:
...in a three-two-one pyramid configuration...then used giant zip ties from Lowes to secure them to tray...

Bought all the materials to make the ballasts yesterday and have one quick question. The largest zip ties I could find were 36", do you strap each one individually to the tray or the whole pyramid together to the tray? Thanks again for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.