Update* Why is it so hard to glue pvc pipe to a jandy valve!

Jun 6, 2012
Trying to glue sch 40 pvc pipe to a jandy never lube valve. Why must you have to sand the Crud out of the pipe just to get it to fit properly. If I don't sand the pipe it won't fully seat into the fitting when glued.

Re: Why is it so hard to glue pvc pipe to a jandy valve!

Sanding to get it to fit? I just installed 6 Jandy 2-way never lube values.....gluing up those puppies was the easiest part of the whole job. What did you use to cut the PVC piping? Can't use any coarse-toothed blade like on a reciprocating saw or the burrs will be enormous. (Maybe that's what you have to sand?)

I've used a regular hacksaw blade on existing pipes & used a file to smooth the edges (only a light touch was needed). All new piping was cut using a 60-tooth 12" circular sawblade. Smooth as glass and needed no de-burring whatsoever.

Bama Rambler said:
I've never had a problem getting it to bottom out. Are you following the proper procedure?

I don't have a problem with gluing pvc to pvc, that always goes perfectly. For me, pvc to cpvc is a pain.

SteveK said:
Sanding to get it to fit? I just installed 6 Jandy 2-way never lube values.....gluing up those puppies was the easiest part of the whole job. What did you use to cut the PVC piping? Can't use any coarse-toothed blade like on a reciprocating saw or the burrs will be enormous. (Maybe that's what you have to sand?)

I've used a regular hacksaw blade on existing pipes & used a file to smooth the edges (only a light touch was needed). All new piping was cut using a 60-tooth 12" circular sawblade. Smooth as glass and needed no de-burring whatsoever.

I use a task force miter box and pvc saw. Cuts are smooth, no burrs or anything.

I've ruined three so far, so I give up. Third time I didn't let the primer dry and immediately put the cement on the pipe and valve. It would only go half way in and refuse to go any further.

This may be a silly idea but make sure the valve is in the open position for the section being glued. Sometimes the air pressure can push off the piece being glued. But it will usually seat first and then push off so that's probably not it.

Other than that I've got nothing. Never had a problem like that before.

Reactions: PoolsideDallas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bluechip said:
This may be a silly idea but make sure the valve is in the open position for the section being glued. Sometimes the air pressure can push off the piece being glued. But it will usually seat first and then push off so that's probably not it.

Other than that I've got nothing. Never had a problem like that before.

The valve was disassembled before gluing.

I'm wondering if I should use orange cpvc instead of the universal stuff.

Sounds very strange indeed. I'm using the Silver Line PVC also.

I use cleaner, purple primer and oatey all purpose PVC/CPVC cement :
all_purpose.jpg

I know using cleaner & primer is overkill, but it caused no issue. I used some 'oomph' to push the parts together while rotating, but did not encounter any unusual resistance. The parts DO tend to want to push apart, so I did hold them together with a good amount of force for about a full minute. I also disassembled the value (as you did) to be sure no cement got into the valve.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having.

Be sure you use a cement that is specified for PVC and CPVC. I wouldn't use the orange can, since that says its for CPVC (does not say PVC).

Reactions: PoolsideDallas

Exactly which PVC pipe are you using? You wouldn't happen to be using gray schedule 40 would you? This is designed for electrical runs and the outside diameter is a bit different than schedule 40 white PVC piping used for pool plumbing.

Before I added my Jandy valves I noted that they were CPVC, as were the unions that were included with my Northstar pump. Because of that I used the red bottle Oatley glue (as shown above)

9 seasons later everything is still perfectly leak free and I had no problem with anything coming apart without holding it for longer than a minute or so.

I think the all purpose glue is your answer, provided you are using the correct PVC pipe (schedule 40, NOT the electrical conduit stuff)

Re: Update* Why is it so hard to glue pvc pipe to a jandy va

Sorry I have posted back in a while. I do have an update.

The three valves that messed up were bought from a local pool store. I thought I would give it one last try, but this time I would order one online. I had no problem getting the pvc pipe to fully seat into the new valve I had ordered online.

I looked at one of the valves that messed up, and I noticed that the fitting on the valve had melted making it hard to push the pvc pipe into the fitting.

The only thing I can think of is the local pool store I bought the valves at had cleaned them with a chemical they shouldn't have before they put them on the shelf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.