Update - Water In - Final pieces remain South Jersey Build

Re: UPDATED - Concrete Poured on SJ Build - Pictures included

okay so WHAT is that stuff? Does it get hard? It looks fun to work with!

Kim

It is vermiculite, it is sort of like concrete but a softer feel and yes, it cures/gets hard like concrete - they hand pour it and trowel it to make the surface smooth prior to putting on the liner. Kind of like a gunite/shotcrete pool. It's pretty cool to watch!

Done for the day and lee the waterfall guy is coming Saturday to discuss how I want the waterfall. I'm pretty excited!

f933b3223c00469e11b0c355386a3391.jpg

Tarp is on... Rain rain go away
T
7cc0d8667a1b3d84d539c9adc747c356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved the video! He's great!

Your pool looks awesome - well before they put it in a trash bag! :smile: If it dries like gunite, why do they use vermiculite? The crew sure did make it smooth! Can't wait for the liner! Congratulations on another completed stage!! Suz.

I loved the video! He's great!

Your pool looks awesome - well before they put it in a trash bag! :smile: If it dries like gunite, why do they use vermiculite? The crew sure did make it smooth! Can't wait for the liner! Congratulations on another completed stage!! Suz.

I am not sure. That is a good question, a lot of people do just the sand, and I am NOT a fan of that.

We are in a holding pattern now for vinyl, so as we discussed previously I never let a holding pattern get away from me without throwing some more money in the pot :)

We added a 400,000 BTU Pentair Masterflow heater today. So, changes to the permit, added electric, added gas. It's never ending, but last weekend we were at a friend's BBQ, end of May and her pool was SO cold, I couldn't even put my feet in, so the in-laws are getting the heater as a gift for us! Can't complain here!!!

Gotta love in-laws like that. Anyone who contributes to lengthening your signature line is a keeper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Gotta love in-laws like that. Anyone who contributes to lengthening your signature line is a keeper.

Thanks for the reminder!!

- - - Updated - - -

SWEET! I guess you better invite them over to enjoy it!

Kim

Kim:

I think they are at my house more than we are! My mother in law is slated for sainthood. She has watched all of her grandchildren so we can all work. Mine is her last :) She takes her everywhere, gets her cute clothes and shoes, volunteers at her preschool, takes us on Disney vacations. They are of the mindset that they would rather spend now and see their family enjoy it than leave it to us later when they are not here. They are just amazing, I am beyond blessed in many more ways to have them...

So yes, I guess they get kind of a blanket invite :)

Karyn, I'm so excited for you - now more swim days!!! I would imagine up north your way, there are lovely spring and fall days when the water is just too cool. You'd hate to waste all that lovely sunshine! Isn't it amazing how these pool builds keep growing and growing and growing - in features and expenses?! But man, is it ever fun! Here's hoping you don't have too many more lag times - awfully expensive. Have fun! Suz.

Ozdiver: I love that line! We all could use someone who contributes to our signature line!!

Not at all. You might get some dirt settling but no big deal. It's not like a sun shelf that catches more due to less circulation. Only one of our benches has one over it. And that was just coincidence.

I do not think it will be. You will be able to work with the returns to make sure there is a good circulation of water. You will also be able to brush it easy enough.

I use a blue ping pong ball to make sure my water is moving like I want it to when I mess with my returns.

Kim

It has been a long lull, but we are moving forward. Kafko apparently is way behind on the manufacturing of the pool liners. I am not sure I am buying this BUT regardless here we are and we are making progress.

I met with Lee who is building the waterfall - we had the option of upgrading the waterfall already purchase by having 1 foot or 2 feet of the waterfall 'falling' onto the existing stamped concrete to give the allusion that it is more natural. I looked at some pictures, and without this it was much to much of a 'straight line' look for me which contrasted sharply with the free form look of my pool. Therefore I decided to do 6 inches on each side. in talking with him about our 'jump rock' and the best time to deliver so he can complete the process and place for us, it occurred to me that he probably can get the jump rock himself, saving me the scheduling of the delivery, the time with it sitting on my lawn on top of the river rock, and the cost of delivery and placement with the PB. He said he could completely do that, and obviously it would match perfectly with the waterfall, and he would place it also. Also he is adding the anchors so we can cover it for the winter, and a light which I really loved the look of on this forum, so I insisted. Unfortunately he will only do white, but he says when I want a more subtle look - I can turn off the LED's and use the soft lighting of the waterfall at dusk and it will be beautiful. I can't wait to see how this all turns out, but I am really in love with the designing and what we have chosen to do, I hope when it comes to fruition I like it this much.

So he is on his way out there now (of course he isn't coming tomorrow like he thought b/c then FOR ONCE in the pool build I would get to be home and watch something happen). Now, the in-laws will have to deal with my constant requests for pictures and progress, and change this or that!

So I had a deep conversation with the PB on Monday about the lack of communication and the vinyl etc. I also relayed my concerns with the Pentair Masterflow. He said they have no concerns at all with me getting the Raypak somewhere else and they would still install it and run the gas/electric/plumbing. I spoke to the owner of another PB and he hooked me up. Got a great price on the 406 with cupro-nickel and they are delivering today.

Once the heater arrives, they will lay the concrete pad and install the plumbing, the electrician will be out in the next few days, and the gas next Tuesday. So that part is coming along, permit still outstanding.

As for the liner so we can all see the pool with WATER in it, they should ship it Monday, and its overnight, so hopefully a week from today, we will see the liner begin to be installed.

I will post pictures later of the waterfall and jump rock. The concrete still looks amazing, even better than I thought and I love the shape even more day to day!

Thanks again for you all following my build..:nopic:

This is very good progress and so exciting! You are doing a masterful job making changes and additions all along the way. OOps, computer is going to restart! Ugh!! Bye. Suz.

Wow! Awesome! That's really an art or craft to know which rocks and stones to select and to know how to put them together for function and beauty! Thanks for your pictures - great job of showing the process. Fascinating! I think I'm almost as excited about your pool as my own! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.