Update - Water In - Final pieces remain South Jersey Build

Re: New build in South Jersey - Pictures included

Suz:

Thank you, I am really excited to see the pool - It is so hard to envision still at this point, and I keep driving my pool guy crazy with changes. I ended up adding one more outlet near where the electric is for the 2nd light. If there is going to be something unsightly there anyway, might as well use it for all its worth.

PB told us he can't really pre-plumb for the heater, which goes against alot of what I read here on the forum and is a little disappointing, b/c my husband is almost certain we will want to add one next year.

The dirt is from the pool! How is your build coming, I will have to head over later today and check it out.

Updates from end of Day 11:
Getting rocks for tanning ledge:

Dumping - hope the men moved their butts..

Wow, we really did a good job didn't we? Another break? Yep, great idea. Let's sit.

So today, Day 12 is no pool builder activity. Electrician finishing up, inspection. Fingers crossed b/c then comes CONCRETE!!!

Oh man, that's lousy. A simple phone call.... I would be frustrated, too. The waiting is so distracting to me. It's hard for me to focus and make good use of that wait time.

Instead of doing closets, cabinets, and sorting clutter, I catch myself staring out at the gunite and mud!! Take care. Suz.

So I spent today shopping for more things for the pool! Haha

c72144eba5bc4de695386804cbae9d4d.jpg

Made by inter-fab - great price and I like it...

88d64b15cb6f87af8df695ff02b5eb37.jpg

What the pool company builds - sheer descent and real rocks. Obviously more money - queen size with one spout.

Also adding
b8eb7b81d5ed21929eeda4a4880bb85e.jpg

Diving/jumping Rock

Opinions please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That-a-girl!!! Keep on shopping! That's what I did with each rain delay - rain sure is expensive! But honestly now, I think I've bought everything I can add. And as far as the additional outlets go..... I was taking a long nap when the electricians came. I missed that opportunity.

I love the inter-fab rock water fall! It looks like it wraps around in back to make a planter - love that. I would definitely get that.

The jumping rock is not my thing. I would worry about it's stability. And I think I'm missing something regarding to the need of a jumping rock. (in my silly way of thinking - can't they jump from the edge of the pool??? LOL). Just goes to show you - I've never been known as a fun person! If you want that, get it now - better than later!

I'm so glad things will roll again tomorrow. Great use of your time today!!!! Suz.

One thing to think about with the jumping rock...since it doesn't hang over the edge of the pool much, the jumpers, if they don't jump out far enough, could end up hitting the slope of the walls, creating some danger. They need to jump out...believe it or not, when I spoke to my insurance company about our diving board/platform, they said they deal with more injuries from people jumping in from the sides and hitting slopes than from a properly installed board, since it puts you out over the deepest part of the pool. It is a bit logical, so something to think about. Of course anyone jumping off anything, including a board, can do stupid stuff and increase their risk, like flips and stuff.

One thing to think about with the jumping rock...since it doesn't hang over the edge of the pool much, the jumpers, if they don't jump out far enough, could end up hitting the slope of the walls, creating some danger. They need to jump out...believe it or not, when I spoke to my insurance company about our diving board/platform, they said they deal with more injuries from people jumping in from the sides and hitting slopes than from a properly installed board, since it puts you out over the deepest part of the pool. It is a bit logical, so something to think about.

Very good point! This is the one point about the gunite I feel makes the decision harder, I love the fact that the walls do not slope in like they do on the vinyl. But yes, I agree it is a concern with the rock and will make sure people are cognizant of it in my 'pool rules'

How cool! This is all new to me and fun to watch a vinyl build. I had no idea how they make the sun shelf and benches. I wondered why the crew was putting all those rocks in the sun shelf!!! :scratch:

I know you can hardly wait for Monday!!! BTW, love the view from upstairs! Take care. Suz.

It's pretty crazy to me that the vinyl cost was so similar to the gunite/concrete/shotcrete because having watched every step of this process the pool shell is so much easier to me than the gunite. Honestly, this pool could have been done a week ago if they worked consistently. But the shaping of the tanning ledge and bench took them along time bc of the radius and the depth especially in deep end. They really couldn't nail down the location of the return near the tanning ledge either so these things and my need to keep spending money extended our time too.

Monday they will run the plumbing for the waterfall, which I'm so excited about. They recommend placing in reverse radius on opposite side of pool, I was thinking the same and extending concrete to the 5' required from the fence. Then I'm not sure where to place the ladder. Guess we will see how it lays out, tonight I'm going to bring some furniture out to see...

Suz, my husband agrees completely with you on the rock jump. My feeling is that it adds to the natural feel of the pool, it incorporates the two/three larger rock stepping stones which will connect the existing paver and patio to the pool, and it just. Adds a little height and depth for diving with the added spring which made me really nervous. I'm sure I will have a whole new set of fears here of slipping etc. if I hate it - I'll move it into the landscaping or use to cover the pad from view upstairs. It only cost $172 and $60 to ship so we will see...

Friday I changed out the handrails and ladder, I truly did not want them at all, but if I must have them then I went with the white powder coated for less reflection on the silver, less heat. any thoughts? Does anyone have these and find they must more easily?

New pump will be in Monday.

Last question, someone on here had an amazing waterfall with newer lights build in, either Hayward or pentair - led I think. They were fantastic and he posted the link which I saved. However I have too many places I've saved all your Great advice and I can't find it. If anyone remembers the build, link or type of lights I would be sooo grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't remember coming across the waterfall with newer lights built in, but I searched a little and found these:
"Lighting Waterfall" thread started by Davelinde in 2012 on this TFP site. Near the top of the thread, there is a link which is listed again in a 2015 thread. PLUS in the last post on this thread by Just-a-PB , there are other, maybe more interesting links.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to give you links to these threads or copy links embedded within a thread.

I enjoy research, so I'll keep trying.

In the one you mentioned, was a photo included? That's sort of what I was scanning for, but the thread I mentioned above has no photo, nor are the lights Hayward or Pentair. Probably not what you were referring to, but maybe some good info.

Suz.

I found them!
9dd2250150846231b95f75700599e4cd.jpg

Also found the feed, he has them throughout grotto and waterfall, and all networked, too cool.

This project will definitely make me live in ramen noodles for a while!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your waterfall is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see it done! Worth it - every time you open a pack of ramen noodles!!!

About the jumping rock.... I really need to keep my opinions to myself unless asked for. Sometimes I can't help myself. But I like your thinking and planning - very sound. For your design reasons, it sounds perfect. You don't like it, you move it. And the price is worth giving it a go. I always weigh cost and permanence. The jumping rock wins on both counts! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.