Update: AGP Deck Build with pics, partially buried oval Doughboy

Including the beams, deck boards, stairs, treads, pickets, and screws, we're sitting right at $1400. But at least the labor was free!

This is why we're waiting a year to bring it all the way around the whole pool. That and we're still not sure how we want to handle the skimmer. Plus we're also thinking about taking out the window and putting a door there, that way we can access the pool from our bedroom.

The only other thing we're going to do this summer is paint. Even then, we still can't decide on whether to seal it, which is what my husband wants, or paint it with that new Behr deck paint, which is what I want.
I may start a new thread to see if anyone has any pros or cons with either of those options.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Is the deck paint you are referring to that stuff that is like the Rustoleum Restore? I hated it. It worked great, but looked, in my opinion, like garbage. I ripped the half of the deck that I had done with it up, and replaced the deck boards.

My deck is a two tone sold stain (decking one color and railings a darker color). I will try and get some pictures of it up at a later time.

I wish I lived in an area where I don't have to worry about freezing, and I could just put down some blocks and call it a footer. I hand dug 4' deep footers and then hand mixed concrete for them when I put in my deck.

-dave

I have exact same Doughboy which is about 30 years old, (abused it a lot, I swim during the freezing seazon so I run equipment untill beginning of January, 'till I know the mercury falls so low the circulation ain't gonna take it anymore. Partly buried helps as the water temp stays above freezing at the bottom and then it is circulated). Those Doughboys are very sturdy pools. Though I have replaced the skimmer 1 week ago, it cracked, but then 30 years....plus the abuse.

I replaced the wooden deck as the wood started to splinter and eventually it became unsafe to walk upon.
I used composite, the one (forgot the name) that is more mildew-resistant. It's been 5 years and it is 6th season, it is doing great, just need to powerwash as the tree sap accumulates. No mildew, no anything. It's a pity I am selling the house, I ain't gonna be able to abuse IGP like this, though it does have its perks :lol:

What a great setup! Looking to do something just like this with a Sharkline Matrix 18x33, with the deep end in the middle. Did you have to use special equipment with the pool buried as much as it is or do you think what I have in my signature will work? I am 100% new to this but going all the way with our first one because we know we will get many years of memories out of it. Thanks!!

We're just ending our 5th summer with this deck set-up, and I thought I would give an update with the pros and cons for anyone who is interested.

The main reason is because if I had it to do over again, I don't think we would go this route.

In July we discovered that we had a leak in the liner, but we were never able to find it. (I'll be starting a new thread detailing that little saga.) Long story short, the leak made the ground under the deck soggy, the weight of the deck pushed the dirt down, and eventually caved in the wall.

Liner Replacement (more than we bargained for)
Like I said, we knew that liner replacements are just a part of owning a pool, and we knew when it came time we were going to take the deck boards up and replace with composite regardless. We've now decided that we're not going to be putting the deck back up on that big of a scale. Also, deck boards are MUCH harder to take up than they are to screw down! I'm putting a picture at the bottom where we took it apart, there were so many stripped screws that eventually we had to just get a saw and cut it apart. That was a very sad day.

Deck Overhanging Rails
My reasoning for wanting the deck to overhang the rails was because we didn't want the kids standing on the pool walls. This honestly was a much bigger worry than it needed to be. The kids quickly learned not to kick against the parts of the pool walls that were above ground level. I really think we only had to tell them once. They would definitely have had no problem not putting any weight on the top rails.

Wasps
I don't know about other parts of the world, but here in North Texas, wasps LOVED it under the deck. There was never a great way to get rid of them, especially since we put underpinning around the whole thing.

Attached to the House
I remember some concern about the way we attached the deck to the house. I can now say that there were no issues. We've taken that whole part of the deck up and there is no evidence of rot or any other concerns.

Leaks
The main reason that we had trouble finding the leak was because it was on the side where the deck was, but we weren't able to see the water seepage. We only saw wet ground on the other side, so that's where we assumed the leak was. We must have spent a solid week walking on that deck, pushing the footers down a centimeter at a time until there was just no more give. Also, if we hadn't had such a complicated configuration, we would have been able to replace the liner in a weekend, and been able to avoid the mess pictured below:
Pool Side Deck Gone.jpgPool Side Deck Gone.jpg

In conclusion, bigger isn't always better and I'm so glad we stopped where we did and didn't bring it all the way around the pool. Although to be fair, if you had asked me in June, I would have said that I loved my deck and wouldn't change a thing! I hope this update is helpful, I know that when we were getting read I practically scoured this site for information and I loved seeing how things held up over time.

Wow, I really appreciate the update (as a new pool owner/current deck builder)!

Couple of questions:
1. Do you have a beaded liner? Do you think that would have made a difference in needing to take up the decking?
2. We left about 2 inches up to the railing, but thinking about a border up and over a bit. This way it'll be the opposite direction of the current boards and if we have to remove the boards, it'll just be the two or so deep.
3. Do you think part of the issue with not being able to detect the leakage point right away had to do with burying the pool? looks like that's what caused the caving, not necessarily the deck, right?

Hi there!
Welcome to TFP and congratulations on your new pool!
1. We have an overlap liner, which definitely would have made a difference.
2. Definitely would have run the boards the opposite way in hindsight, but I was dead-set on the deck overlapping the pool by a good bit. When we re-build that is what we will be doing, but we're only going to get even with the rails this time, no overlap.
3. The caving was a combination of factors, and honestly, even after we got the liner out, we still weren't able to find the exact leak location. You're absolutely right, it wasn't so much the deck itself that caused the cave, it was that we kept walking on the deck without knowing just how saturated the ground was under it. The ground around the rest of the pool was completely hard-packed and didn't move at all, even when it had been sitting with no water for weeks on end.
P.S. I still have absolutely no regrets about burying the pool. :LOL:

Reactions: jlt19
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.