Unusual Warm Spring

Kaspergbge

Jul 10, 2023
Omaha, NE
So my plan is to open my pool late April/beginning of May. I live in midwest and it has been unusally warm here. I have a mesh cover on and I am wondering if I should do anything to the water before the cover comes off and I open it. I have not tested water, but I know that algae starts to grow around 60 degrees. Let me know and TIA!

Best advice is to "open" before the water is consistently 60 Degrees. I have a mesh cover also, and I *soft* open when the water hits 60; meaning I don't remove the mesh cover, but I get the pump going and run the pool and add chlorine as necessary. About May 15, I take the cover off and run as normal. Doing this, I never get algae.

I'm planning on soft-opening end of March, mostly as I'll have some extra hands that week. I'll probably not turn the heaters on much before end of April tho - I'm not made of money ;)

Reactions: Newdude
So my plan is to open my pool late April/beginning of May. I live in midwest and it has been unusally warm here. I have a mesh cover on and I am wondering if I should do anything to the water before the cover comes off and I open it. I have not tested water, but I know that algae starts to grow around 60 degrees. Let me know and TIA!
I was thinking about this today. I'm in Northern Illinois, and we usually open late May. I'm thinking we'll be opening early May, if these weather trends continue.

Chicago area also
I soft open in April
By end of April early May we always seem to have a few days where it’s warm enough to swim so we fire up the heater as needed

I soft opened by necessity when the kids were little. I never had enough time free in one shot to reassemble the equipment pad, open and put all the patio stuffs back out.

So I'd get the equipment running, and pick at the rest with an hour here and an hour there and a couple of weekends later, I'd pull the cover

Unbeknownst to me pre TFP, I was opening and circulating FC while the algae was still mostly dormant, but I did know how clear it was every year so I kept doing it when the kids became self sufficient.

Reactions: blazer58
Well, I was planning on a soft open next week...but Michigan seems to have other plans :

20240322_123133.jpg