Rockwall Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool was built at same time as my house. During driveway construction , someone tore up the line to the leveler that was built in the pool. As a result, we had to plumb the water feed into the system at the equipment pad. So the bucket at the pool is unused, but full of water and still interchanges water with the pool somewhat. I usually have .5 or less CC. I’ve noticed that if I put liquid chlorine in the bucket, my CC stays at 0 for a while. If I don’t, it goes back to .5 CC. Bottom line, I think it’s a contributor to algae growth. Does anybody have recommendations on if I should seal it off? If so, how?

Thanks!

My pool was built at same time as my house. During driveway construction , someone tore up the line to the leveler that was built in the pool. As a result, we had to plumb the water feed into the system at the equipment pad. So the bucket at the pool is unused, but full of water and still interchanges water with the pool somewhat. I usually have .5 or less CC. I’ve noticed that if I put liquid chlorine in the bucket, my CC stays at 0 for a while. If I don’t, it goes back to .5 CC. Bottom line, I think it’s a contributor to algae growth. Does anybody have recommendations on if I should seal it off? If so, how?

Thanks!
0.5cc is essentially zero. I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not a terrible idea to seal off unused wet areas but they aren’t often easy to actually seal. Sometimes trying to seal them (and failing) just makes them slower to dry out.

Bottom line, I think it’s a contributor to algae growth.
The spot can be a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, algae etc.

However, bacteria, mold, algae etc. really do not cause CCs.

As noted, the CCs are not enough to worry about and they are probably not related to the bucket.

I would get rid of it if possible.

Can you show pictures of the bucket?

Looks like mine which has a standard 1.5" fip on the pool side. If so you should be able to use a 1.5" mip plug like people who close use to winterize.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The outlet to the pool is just like my returns, so I’ll find a cap to fit that. I’ll figure out a filler.
Thanks👍
ATIE 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Line Winterizing Plug & Pool Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filters (2 Pack) Amazon.com

The line is buried under 30’ of 6 in concrete. We don’t know where it was cut off. We cut around where it was originally coming out of the ground, but couldn’t find it. Didn’t want to tear up a freshly poured driveway, so just changed the plan to run it into the equipment pad. Started with the Kona Labs auto leveler, but it was not very reliable for me. So just put a smart WiFi sprinkler controller on it. That has worked out very well.

Reactions: Ahultin and JamesW
ATIE 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Line Winterizing Plug & Pool Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filters (2 Pack) Amazon.com
Also if you fill it, make sure rainwater can’t leak under that paver and collect under it.
Thanks! I will do both of those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.