Unidentified Bug Issue

Nov 7, 2016
Roseville/CA
I have been dealing with a bug issue over past few weeks. I cannot seem to identify this bug and where it is coming from. They are not the normal water bugs, these are much smaller, like a flea almost. When i first noticed there was a ton. I spent 3 days with a fine mesh net scooping and smashing them on the walls. Got to the point where they were pretty much gone. They seem to just hang on the tile line, not lower (although with my pool finish it would be hard to see them.) But after a week of no bugs, they started coming back. I have been going out every evening and scooping and smashing more, they keep coming back so hoping someone can identify the bug and the potential source. Chems have all been balanced although out, less the pH going up a bit.

I have tried a really high Cl level, upwards of 8 ppm. doesn't seem to phase them. My current numbers are below, pool has been at those levels through most of the issue.

FC 5, pH 7.6, TA 90, CH 250, CYA 40, Salt: Nope

I am thinking/hoping this is some sort of nearby hatch, which would mean it is temporary. I am going on my third week and just noticed that i am not making much headway. After clearing quite a few out last night, tonight there was even more. They don't seem to swim very well, they sort of flail around until they can grip the side. Doesn't take much jostling to release them from the edge too. They also seem to do just fine out of the pool. They can flip themselves over and walk around like any bug. Another reason why they may be coming from my yard.

Talked to a few pool service people to see if they have seen anything similar. The guy who helped with my startup did say he say the same bug in two other of the pools he maintains, but has never seen them before. Any ideas?

Photo Nov 07, 4 51 46 PM.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.