Unexplained FC Consumption - SOLVED - although the Mystery Remains

Re: Unexplained FC Consumption (updated title)

My head is spinning...

9 AM today (or 8:55 AM to be exact)

FC = 10.5
CC = 0.0
pH = 7.8 (where did this rise come from - but I guess that is a different story, or is it a clue perhaps ?)
CYA = somewhere between 30 and 40 (have not gone a week yet since adding to increase to 40)

I have not done the math yet to figure out my consumption, but I can tell you I did not add 7 PPM per day to maintain such a high level.

MADNESS - now I gotta go figure out what the heck caused this...as there is simply no explanation other than a new strand of algae.

I've been reading this thread off and on and to be honest I can't figure out what it is about those numbers you just posted that you are in "madness" about. The last numbers I can find posted in the thread I think were from 3 days ago. Are you complaining that the FC number is too high based on how much chlorine has been added? I think it would help if you list exactly how many ounces of what % bleach you are adding to go along with your numbers for the next couple days. I also was waiting to see if it would stabilize if you left the cover off so too bad that didn't happen. I'd try hard to make that happen. I've been in my home 3 years and there has never been a cover on my pool.

Well TooFast, I have been getting quite a few texts offering moral support, so I'm here to do the same for you! Here goes...
You're doing great, keep up the good work, you have p.o.p. you can do it!

I want you to know I TOTALLY feel your pain. I would become quite irritated if my pool magically fixed itself. I also want to know the reason why I've been having so much trouble when others coast in here with a new slam and they are done 5 days later. I feel like I'm the victim of a really mean practical joke.

I have at least narrowed down the culprit to pool equipment outside the pool. There are only hoses and the pump and filter. I most recently raised FC to mustard slam level for 24 hours and I'm still waiting on responses on what the experts think the results mean. I'm also waiting on a biofilm eliminator that I ordered on chem geek's recommendation.

Good luck to you and I'm going to continue to follow your post. If you get done first, I'll send you one of those smiley guys holding a beer! :)

Maybe you beat it! Whatever it is/was! Not zombie algae but ghost algae. It cannot be seen by the naked eye BUT the almighty test can.

How long are you home for this time? It will be interesting to see how it holds now.

Kim

Is anyone messing with your equipment or adding chemicals and not telling you?

I'm not trying to blame others, but your numbers seem to be going every which way on you as if there's an external variable here that's out of your control.

Also, you're traveling so much that I can't see how you're going to get this under control unless you get some help with daily measurements. You can't just dose the pool, leave for four days straight and then expect to be able to deduce what happened. You need solid data measured over several days (2 data points/day at least) to figure this out or else you're just chasing after the wind here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been reading this thread off and on and to be honest I can't figure out what it is about those numbers you just posted that you are in "madness" about. The last numbers I can find posted in the thread I think were from 3 days ago. Are you complaining that the FC number is too high based on how much chlorine has been added? I think it would help if you list exactly how many ounces of what % bleach you are adding to go along with your numbers for the next couple days. I also was waiting to see if it would stabilize if you left the cover off so too bad that didn't happen. I'd try hard to make that happen. I've been in my home 3 years and there has never been a cover on my pool.

Yeah super long thread....

The madness is that now all of a sudden, for no reason my FC is holding and it is not "disappearing" for no reason. I only added 3 PPM per day since I was gone and my readings went UP from 8 to 10.5, so that tells me that in the three days I dosed 9PPM and I only used 6.5 PPM, so a little over 2 PPM per day of FC...and that is with 2 big swim parties.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Is anyone messing with your equipment or adding chemicals and not telling you?

I'm not trying to blame others, but your numbers seem to be going every which way on you as if there's an external variable here that's out of your control.

Also, you're traveling so much that I can't see how you're going to get this under control unless you get some help with daily measurements. You can't just dose the pool, leave for four days straight and then expect to be able to deduce what happened. You need solid data measured over several days (2 data points/day at least) to figure this out or else you're just chasing after the wind here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is messing with chems...unless they are ghosts...

I actually can completely figure out how much FC is being used when I am gone....between starting and ending, and then my stenner dosing. Remember I passed OCLT multiple days at SLAM levels through out this process...and now for no reason it seems to be holding FC.

I started with FC - 10.5 - nothing added today, as I turned off the stenner, will test tomorrow and see what kind of lose I had.

Yeah super long thread....

The madness is that now all of a sudden, for no reason my FC is holding and it is not "disappearing" for no reason. I only added 3 PPM per day since I was gone and my readings went UP from 8 to 10.5, so that tells me that in the three days I dosed 9PPM and I only used 6.5 PPM, so a little over 2 PPM per day of FC...and that is with 2 big swim parties.

I would suggest that your pool is smaller than you think it is, or your bleach is very fresh.

One possible theory I would like propose is the level of UV exposure as compared to previous years. Several times you have mentioned your FC loss in relation to last years losses. Looking at a historical UV chart for last year in Cleveland there where far fewer days of very high UV levels (35 days) compared to previous years (i.e. 2012 had 58 days and 2011 had 70 days). Could it be as simple as more intense sun exposure? Not sure if this would explain all of your losses but it could help account for some.

One possible theory I would like propose is the level of UV exposure as compared to previous years. Several times you have mentioned your FC loss in relation to last years losses. Looking at a historical UV chart for last year in Cleveland there where far fewer days of very high UV levels (35 days) compared to previous years (i.e. 2012 had 58 days and 2011 had 70 days). Could it be as simple as more intense sun exposure? Not sure if this would explain all of your losses but it could help account for some.

Would the cover intensify the effect of the UV?

WOW - I never thought about that angle....I guess we need chemgeek to try and help us understand the details...I guess I would get another PPM per day, but not the wild swings I am seeing. But it COULD for sure have effects.

- - - Updated - - -

Would the cover intensify the effect of the UV?

chemgeek posted this in another thread, so I don't think it intensifies...although I could be misunderstanding.

It depends on the clarity of the cover. If it's a very clear cover, it will let a significant amount of sunlight through, both visible and some infrared and some UV. Such covers do truly aid heating of the pool during the day. For an opaque cover, if it's white or reflective then there will be little heating of the water, but if it's a dark opaque cover then there will be some heat transfer for thin covers such as electric safety covers. For bubble-type covers, there won't be much sunlight absorption and heat transfer unless the top part of the cover is clear and only the bottom part touching the water is black or dark.

So in order of heating, it is the following:

Clear bubble-type cover -- passes through the most sunlight, retains heat well
Clear-on-top, dark-on-bottom, bubble-type cover -- dark bottom heats up from sunlight and passes heat to the water, retains heat well
Dark opaque thin cover -- dark cover absorbs heat and passes it to the water, but the thin cover doesn't retain as much heat
White or reflective bubble-type cover -- does not absorb heat but retains heat well
White or reflective thin cover -- does not absorb heat and the thin cover doesn't retain as much heat

The main trade-off is that the clear covers also pass through UV so while you get heating from sunlight passing through, you also get breakdown of chlorine.

With no cover at all, there is substantial absorption of sunlight which heats the pool where a white plaster pool with 4.5 foot average depth absorbs 60% of the sun's light energy and heats the pool at around 0.7ºF per hour with noontime sun. Competing with this is water evaporation where the same pool would lose about 5ºF if 1/4" of water evaporated. Evaporation depends not only on the water and air temperature (except for perfectly dry air), but also depends on the humidity and especially on wind at the pool water's surface. See the thread Water Absorption and Heating from Sunlight for more technical details.

Ok, quick update on FC - not sure if this is good or not, as my head is spinning so much.

11:30 AM

FC = 6.5
CC = 0.0
CYA - between 30-40

I was at 10.5 yesterday at 9 AM and added no FC since. so I burned 4 PPM in 26 1/2 hours...which honestly seems like too much....HOWEVER perhaps since my FC was so high to start with, percentage wise I am doing ok.

HOWEVER - while inspecting the pool yesterday with a mask, I noticed ONE DOT of algae on the skimmer surface - how is that possible ? Guess I still have zombie algae, but I have no idea what else I can do. I am leaving again tonight, back all next week. So next week is the time for me to hopefully figure this out.

So, thread so long didn't read everything, but is there any part of your plumbing that is only used a portion of the day, or only by manual switching? For instance, a fountain or waterfall that you wouldn't have on during the SLAM process, but you could turn on if you wanted? I have to remember to run my water features every other day or so, so the water doesn't just sit in those pipes and fixtures, stagnant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.