Uneven infinity edge

pwmort

Jul 4, 2022
Logan, UT
New pool just plastered and filled with 40’ infinity edge covered with small 1” tile. PB tried to get it perfectly level but flow over the edge at low flow pump setting is slightly uneven in maybe 10’ of the 40 ‘. Anyone tried raising the low spot along the edge with silicone or something else?

Other possibility is slightly grinding the edge of the tiles in the high spot. Any other creative ideas besides learning to live with it?

Also any recommendations on one way check valves? Pump house is a few feet lower than catch basin and back flow from the pool to the catch basin became an issue when he forgot to put in a check valve.

Thanks in advance.

I think only redoing that area of tile may get it more level. Maybe or maybe not.

What is your question about check valves? If you need it then it should be installed.

On infinity edge pools with that long of an edge a test run is typically done by filling the pool with water after Shotcrete and before tile to ensure levelness within 1/16 tolerance. Then any inconsistencies can be corrected.
Grinding down the tile even slightly will remove the glaze and leave it susceptible to staining.
Removal of the tile and leveling will be the best long term resolution.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
On infinity edge pools with that long of an edge a test run is typically done by filling the pool with water after Shotcrete and before tile to ensure levelness within 1/16 tolerance. Then any inconsistencies can be corrected.
@setsailsoon should note this test for his pool build.

@setsailsoon should note this test for his pool build.
Allen,
Thanks for making sure I see this. This makes a lot of sense so long as I can find the water. I want to soak all the concrete every day for 7 days anyway. It's well-documented this improves strength a lot. All kinds of benefits to this. I did this on the house and had zero surface cracks on the entire 6300 sq ft. Filling the pool would be a great way to get this benefit. My plan was to check very closely with the concrete finishing crew and insert small guide sticks. We did this on the large slab pour and it worked grate. I checked the marks with a Laser level and my trusty zip level. Laser's work great so long as they are calibrated properly and it's each to check with the zip level. Then I'm planning to have a second crack at 1/16 when the tile is installed. This is one of the reasons I want to manage the subs myself. I've seen too many pools built here where the builder is absent for the critical work. There's no time to argue when these operations are underway. I have a K/O meeting with each sub to align on these details and then I'm there to make sure it happens. On my pool with the zero edge all round this tolerance is needed for the entire pool. I've investigated and pondered all kinds of ways to have an adjustable edge but they are all questionable, ugly, or both.

Completely agree with @AQUA~HOLICS . I'm spending a lot on materials and labor so I'm not about to grind the tile. If I screw this up I'll get it fixed the right way and remove/do it again right. Any other tips either of you have would be very welcome!

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
@pwmort i moved chris's help to his thread. You can follow it Here. as there may be other relevant parts as well. Its a GREAT thread. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.