May 16, 2022
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

We're fresh off a pool remodel - pool, not deck - that included new coping. Well the new coping is thinner than the old coping and so around many parts of the pool we have about 1/2 inch lip at the coping back edge.

There are many reasons why this is undesireable, but the most prominent is the tripping/stubbed toe hazard we've got around the steps.

See picks - you can actually see the coarse aggregates in the concrete deck where it's height exceeds that if the coping.

Can y'all help me brainstorm on a good way to alleviate the tripping and stubbing hazard? Some half-baked ideas:
  • Hammer and chisel
  • Some kind of weather strip
  • Some kind of caulk

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_134521051.jpg
    PXL_20230624_134521051.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230624_134455692.jpg
    PXL_20230624_134455692.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230624_134447411.jpg
    PXL_20230624_134447411.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230624_134511147.jpg
    PXL_20230624_134511147.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi everyone,

We're fresh off a pool remodel - pool, not deck - that included new coping. Well the new coping is thinner than the old coping and so around many parts of the pool we have about 1/2 inch lip at the coping back edge.

There are many reasons why this is undesireable, but the most prominent is the tripping/stubbed toe hazard we've got around the steps.

See picks - you can actually see the coarse aggregates in the concrete deck where it's height exceeds that if the coping.

Can y'all help me brainstorm on a good way to alleviate the tripping and stubbing hazard? Some half-baked ideas:
  • Hammer and chisel
  • Some kind of weather strip
  • Some kind of caulk
Is there a reason they didn’t just put the new coping to match the deck better? (Or is that a question better not to ask?)

You might try a concrete grinding disk on an angle grinder to add a chamfer to the corner, then fill the gap with an expansion joint sealant like sikaflex.

You might try a concrete grinding disk on an angle grinder to add a chamfer to the corner
+1.. this will keep from stubbing toes. BUT, if its anything like the side walks where I live where tree roots have lifted them, grinding them down has sure removed the safety hazard to stubbing/tripping/falling ...BUT it also changed the texture to a smoother surface and the color has lightened up some on the sidewalk areas.
So if you do grind do it in a OUT OF THE WAY AREA first and see if it will work for you. Good Luck.

It sucks when stuff like that happens. It leads to a situation where there’s just no good answer. So, in that vein, my bad idea is to take some mortar and feather that out. Kind of along the lines of your “some kind of caulk” idea. Mortar will be cheap and you can make a little ramp by going out 6 to 8 inches. If you wanted to get artistic, you could imbed some aggregate in the mortar and try to make it look a bit more presentable.

As someone who’s struggled with a pool builder, I sympathize with you and wish you the best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.