Understanding SLAM

dozer11

Jun 2, 2014
Thompson, ND
A couple of problems.

If I have algae would I pass an OCLT?

I’m just trying to figure out why the SLAM FC levels need to be so high if I’m passing the OCLT but my water isn’t crystal clear. I’m just trying to filter my water with my slow sand filter (adding DE daily).

I’m dragging out this slam because I haven’t been able to keep it at slam levels due to other conflicts and the water is cloudy. To make matters worse we had a dust storm and a ton of fine fine particles got blown into my pool.

I found a big freaky water bug in my pump skimmer basket today.

I’ve passed several OCLTs and my pool isn’t using that much chlorine.

FC 8
TA 60
cya 30
Ph 7.2

Help!

You keep the FC up as a precautionary thing. Could you lower your guard after passing several OCLTs with minimal daytime loss ? Probably. Do you want to risk being back at square 1 if you lowered your guard too soon ? Definitely not. For North Dakota, the SLAM may be done and now you are filtering out pollen which happened unrelated to the SLAM. Or some combo of the 2 with pollen and dead algae.

But like you said, it's not taking much effort to keep the FC up. So 'keep it up' in both meanings of the expression. Enjoy that it's going much easier than it was prior. :)

Reactions: dozer11
New sand can be a possible culprit, If the sand is not rinsed THOROUGHLY, some brands have enough dust in them to pass through the filter. The solution is to continue to run the pump and the filter will eventually catch them. The dust storm could've contributed, too

If I have algae would I pass an OCLT?
Possible but not likely

Thanks everybody for the help and encouragement!

Saw the water bug, got water all over the pump because I was distracted, now pump stopped working!!!! One thing after the next. Hubby should have pump running after work. Then will continue SLAM

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.