Undersized pump for pool and spa

playitloud

Sep 15, 2020
florida
Hello,

I have a 18,000 gallon pool and a 360 degree raised spa with spill over that share a single pump. Even when I run my pump at 100% (3450 rpm - 56 GPM) all the sides of my spa do not spill over. This is with the valve open 80% to the spa and 20% to the pool main body.

Would the Francis equation be valid here? Based on this equation I would need 67 GPM just to have the spa functioning properly which is way more than my pump can handle. The pump is also dual purposed to circulate my pool main body.

I have:
  • Pentair Intelliflo-XF 3HP variable peed pump
  • Spa has 42 LF of negative edge with 360 degree spillover
  • Spa has a single 2" return

My questions are:
  1. How much flow is required to return to the spa to get 1/8" head spill over on all sides?
  2. Do I need to increase the size of my pump or add an additional one just for the spa?
  3. Should I be concerned about circulation in my pool main body?
Thank you!

The Pentair IntelliCenter was handed over to me preconfigured. The only automation currently set is to run the pool pump 10 hours/day. I do not see any settings for spillover mode.
Gotcha,
10hrs a day at full speed?? Ouch!
ok a couple things: first fill out your signature with all your pertinent equipment information - It helps anyone looking to assist to not need to dig
Do you take care of the pool yourself or do you have a service? Can you post a couple pictures of your equipment pad?
Sounds as if you have an intellicenter pool/spa combo system, correct? Is there an actuator on the valve that you are saying is currently an 80/20 split?
Configuring spillover is relatively easy if your system is setup properly for it. On mine, i have the spa spillover 3x per day for ~15 minutes each time. This refreshes the spa water while also minimizing the PH rise from the spillover (aeration). Once you confirm your plumbing (pictures) then we can walk you thru testing if spillway will accomplish what you are trying to achieve. If it does then, then we can go over the configuration changes needed and add the spillover schedule.

Gotcha,
10hrs a day at full speed?? Ouch!
ok a couple things: first fill out your signature with all your pertinent equipment information - It helps anyone looking to assist to not need to dig
Do you take care of the pool yourself or do you have a service? Can you post a couple pictures of your equipment pad?
Sounds as if you have an intellicenter pool/spa combo system, correct? Is there an actuator on the valve that you are saying is currently an 80/20 split?
Configuring spillover is relatively easy if your system is setup properly for it. On mine, i have the spa spillover 3x per day for ~15 minutes each time. This refreshes the spa water while also minimizing the PH rise from the spillover (aeration). Once you confirm your plumbing (pictures) then we can walk you thru testing if spillway will accomplish what you are trying to achieve. If it does then, then we can go over the configuration changes needed and add the spillover schedule.

I run that pump at about 60% for 10 hours a day. The 100% calculation was to see if a single pump could circulate an 18,000 gal and provide a 360 spillover from the spa at the same time.

I take care of the pool myself and there is not an actuator on the pool/spa tee (80/20 split is hand valve) (see attached).

An Intelliflo pump (#1) is used for pool/spa and the other Intelliflo (#2) is used to control the 4 different types of water features

The reason I am seeking help is because I believe my pool builder did not spec out the right size or quantity of pump(s). Based on the flow rate I am coming up with to support 360 spillover for the whole duration the pool pump (#1) is running, I do not think it is possible while it is also required to circulate an 18k gallon pool.

Attachments

• 20230809_175028.jpg
    20230809_175028.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230809_175028-1.jpg
    20230809_175028-1.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 6
I take care of the pool myself
👍👍. Your filter is tiny, when was the last time it was cleaned?

there is not an actuator on the pool/spa tee (80/20 split is hand valve) (see attached)
Are the spa returns actual separate returns from the spa jets?
while it is also required to circulate an 18k gallon pool
If spillover is properly setup, you don't need the pool returns on as well as water is coming from the pool thru the suction side of the pump and returning to the spa then spilling over back to the pool.

Between what I see in the photo and what I see in your signature am I interpreting the plumbing correct:

Intelliflo xf ~ filter ~ ultratemp hp ~ aquacel hp ~ mastertemp ~ ic40 ~ return?
Any heater bypass in there? Do the heatpumps run all the time?

The way they plumbed your spillover seems "non standard", it acts like a makeup valve but only sort of.

test: flip the switch on the cva24 return actuator so it is 100% to spa jets. Leaving the suction actuator on 100% pool, this should simulate "spillover mode" on the intellicenter. Is the desired affect acheived?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.