Under contract, now questioning size and layout and need feedback on dark liners

zjolsen

Nov 19, 2023
Omaha NE
Hello all! Under contract for a spring build and really struggling on a few things that I thought I had figured out. I've attached the layout I drew up and it's pretty spot on for scale, maybe a 1' off. I will be doing 4' walks instead of 3'. We are a family of four with pre-teens.

So my questions are:
Is 15x30 the right size for the space or go with 16x32?
Should we do 48" walls instead of 42" since my kids are older?
14" Deep Sunledge by 4'... need ideas for combo step/sunledge as I want a deeper ledge. Thoughts?
How have Latham/GLI Dark Liners aged? (Specifically Onyx/Granite/Eclipse or Royal Ember)
Will I regret not doing an auto cover with a dark liner?

Current Specs:
Nebraska Build
15x30
Currently 4' Sunledge / Stair Combo
42" Walls
All Hayward Products
250k Gas Heater
Cartridge Filter
SWG
Omni Automation
Latham Liner

Attachments

• 16x32.jpg
    16x32.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Have you tried going out to the area where your pool will be and using stakes and string and cardboard and laying out where the pool and deck will be and seeing how it feels to you?

Why are you concerned about an autocover with a dark liner?

@Newdude built a liner pool and he can answer your questions about wall height and maybe dark liners.

Thanks for the reply! I have flagged and roped it off but have not done cardboard, I think that's a great idea! Thank you!

It seems like it's 50/50 on autocovers where I live. I don't have any large trees or debris that will be around the pool. So my real question is will having an autocover substantially increase the life of the liner and keeping the liners color? I want to go black or a very dark deep blue.

Hey ZJ and Welcome !!!

Should we do 48" walls instead of 42" since my kids are older?
You should do 48 inch walls because the water depth is 6 inches less, and 3 ft of water (42 inch walls) is uncomfortable across the board.

It's too deep to sit
It's too shallow to float
Any swimmers will hit their knuckles

IMO, there's a reason why above ground pools have 48+ inches water depth, and they got it right. They feel swim-y and not stand-y.
How have Latham/GLI Dark Liners aged? (Specifically Onyx/Granite/Eclipse or Royal Ember)
The shortages taught us that yesterday's performance is not guaranteed tomorrow.

You have your best chances with a premier brand such as Latham/GLI, but IMO the darker the liner, the more/sooner it will fade from UV.

Having partial shade will help. Having an autocover will help ALOT. But spending $12k every 10 years to get a couple more years from a $5k liner is kinda silly if that's the only reason. (You mentioned the kids being bigger, so presumably you don't have toddlers who are incapable of respecting the inherent pool dangers).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.