Under Construction in St. Louis, MO

Bfassler said:
They used regular mortar. I was not aware of an epoxy grout. The grout has been a source of consternation for us. All of the pools we looked at with regular grout had issues after the fact. We were debating between stones and stamped concrete and finally figured we could easily fix the grout later but not cracks in the concrete.

Good luck with your pool!

Thanks, I believe I will tighten the joints to 1/4" and use a flexible grout like deck-o-seal joint fill compound. I worry about small chunks of mortar eventually falling out later and cutting the liner. Again your project looks very nice. Sorry for all the issues with your PB. That's why I am going to be the builder for my project.

The latest...

9/20/12 – concrete was poured!

9/21/12 – concrete looks pretty good. We’ll probably do a coating on that – still trying to sort that out. The guys worked on the water feature today and perfecting some grout issues we had with the stone coping. Everything looks so dirty! New lines is supposed to be in next week. Guys are supposed to come tomorrow to continue working on the water feature. Foreman coming Sunday to work on the retaining wall (some side work that we hired him for).

C9844B80-1592-45C0-9E8A-EDC2A752A012-374-0000003AFDBAF779_zps935df572.jpg

B3D427AE-E586-4DCB-B2BC-B807DCB38E21-374-0000003AF1FA3C09_zps583e72d4.jpg

CA09DAE3-BFB4-47E1-AFAC-81C0AFDE61F1-374-0000003AD693C5C0_zps0361a537.jpg

331B022D-D105-4B9E-A1AB-F8DE3A00E6B6-374-0000003AE54269FE_zpsd57e7b75.jpg

1DB63C9A-6153-4113-B103-DCC344C5BC50-374-0000003B09169EEE_zps581b7761.jpg

9/23/12 – the guys came today and put up a retaining wall we paid them for on the side.

9/24/12 – no work today. They are waiting on the sheer descents and the liner. I’m not sure why they just ordered the sheer descents when they’ve been in the contract since day 1. Sigh.

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

OK, sorry for the elusive question. Let me show you what I'm talking about. It might be hard to see.

The red arrow pointing up shows the water level actually touching the line on the liner.
As you look to the left and right, you can see the water level dropping.
Is this normal? We have about 18" to go to fill up the pool.

photo3waterlevel.jpg

Please help, I am panicking.

Pool builder just got here. He says the water will line up with the liner when the pool is full.

I don't know what else to do but trust him. I talked about a leveling tool and he blew me off.

God, I wish I could go back in time and hire the more expensive guys.

I'll keep you guys posted when the pool is full.

Here's the latest logs.

9/25/12 – Liner manufacturer calls husband today to say that liner will be finished today. No word from anyone else.

9/28/12 – no work all week. Pool owner says that the sheer descents came in and they were wrong so he’ll have to reorder. He said the liner will be installed tomorrow.

9/29/12 – Liner installed today. Looks much better. I do see what looks and feels like gravel underneath the liner. Pool owner says it’s balled up pool krete and it’ll smooth out when the water comes up. Pool owner told me he’ll work on water feature Monday, do the concrete coating on Tuesday and finish things off with the final grade by the end of the week. Says we should be swimming by this next weekend. Just in time to close the pool. Oh – he also mentioned that the sheer descents ARE correct and he just needs to cut them. These conversations scare me so…

10/1/12 – well, the electrician came out today and installed the lights. That’s it.

10/2/12 – Pool owner shows up today around 10:30 to do the coating. Power washes the concrete for an hour or so, then has to leave to get a tool. Comes back two hours later to say that he will just do the work tomorrow as he feels he’s running out of time now. Husband is ticked because he made arrangements to be at home today. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. ?

10/3/12 – well, it was raining this morning. Pool owner shows up and he’s cranky because husband told him to get his butt over here. I guess they had it out over this nightmare we are living. Anyway, he works on the water feature for a short time, but needs some sort of water truck to get everything hooked up. Skies cleared about 11 but he couldn’t do coating because he didn’t bring everything. Says he’ll do coating tomorrow. As the water gets higher, we are noticing that the water line isn’t level with the horizontal line patterns on the liner. I am just praying this is normal for now. If it’s not, we’re gonna have a bad bad situation on our hands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest logs:

10/4/12 – they came and did the coating today. Surprisingly, everything looks pretty good. He doesn’t want us to fill the pool the rest of the way yet. Pool builder says everything will look ok once the pool is full as far as the liner is concerned.

10/5/12 – rain all day today. No work. I was able to measure the distance from the water line to the bottom of the coping all the way around the pool and could only find a 1 cm difference. I guess the pool is level at least…

10/6/12 – they came today and put on the slide and diving board. They finished filling the pool and started the pump. Sand poured into the pool. Looks like it stopped though after a minute or so. That’ll be fun to clean out. I guess that’s normal with a sand filter. Anyway… supposed to finish up next week. The water line does look relatively level now.

photo1-1.jpg

I just realized I never posted our finished product. We still have some grout issues we are working through with the PB (you can see them in the closeup), but the pool is currently covered and closed, so that'll have to wait until spring. Anyway, here's the pics!

IMG_0149_zps9a7dc126.jpg

IMG_0151_zpsa2db62b1.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsd0f41e94.jpg

IMG_0133_zpsad6ede18.jpg

After sod:

IMG_0004-1_zpsca679c45.jpg

IMG_0005-1_zps9c41f410.jpg

Great looking pool, sounds like it was a difficult build but it also sounds like in the end everything has worked out as planned.
If everything is good I hope the relationship with the builder ended on a positive, sometimes people can be good at doing things but not good at planning and details.
THe site looks awesome though :goodjob:

I wanted to post an update. We are still having issues with our PB and issues from the build.

1. When PB installed the diving board back in October of 2012, he noticed some of the surface scraped off. At that point, he said, "We need to get you a new diving board. This one is messed up." We have placed at least three calls to his office and sent at least 10 texts and emails about the diving board (which continues to have additional surface issues) and still have not received a definitive conclusion on this.

2. I mentioned our grout issues a few times during the build. We have cracks between our coping stones and large chunks of grout falling out between the coping stones and the liner (found out later that this area is not normally grouted). To be fair, the PB did not make us pay the remaining $2500 that we owed him and instead we will put that money toward a professional mason's work to regrout between the coping stones and do whatever is necessary between the coping and the liner. I am just now getting estimates on this work, so hopefully it's not super expensive to have this done.

3. We realized early this summer that the two sets of steps they installed were 6' steps, not 8' steps, as defined in the contract. Too late to fix this, but every time I see someone jump on an inflatable and it rolls and they almost hit their head on the corner of the coping I curse the PB. The steps should've been wider.

4. The rubber gasket between our steps and our liner is coming out. I am not sure if this is a normal problem or not. I made another post on this with pictures and someone mentioned that I should razor out the part that is hanging. We have done that.

5. The concrete decking is cracked in three places. The PB documented in his contract that he would fix this if it were to happen within one year of the build. At this point, I don't want the PB touching my pool, so I am going to live with it. If this is a lesson to anyone, having the documentation in the contract doesn't always protect you. Especially once you start to physically feel sick when you think of your PB.

6. We have tons of footprints and what appear to be rocks under our liner bottom. My husband is able to smash out the "rocks" with the tip of a baseball bat (although there are hundreds of them), but the footprints are there for life. When our pool lights are on, it looks so bad.

Anyway, that's where we are currently. Please trust your gut when it comes to choosing a PB. I had a bad/shaky feeling about these guys from the beginning, but my husband talked me into it. They were also $10k cheaper than the other guy (we got more than two bids, but filtered it down to two). References were so/so. We saw issues with their pools when we looked at them, but they promised us that those issues had been fixed since those pools were built. I just read a recent review on Angie's List where the guy had the exact same issues we did. Oh, how I wish that review were there last summer. Our pool cost as much as our first house. This is a major investment, you don't want to choose wrong.

I absolutely love your pool!!! I think we were getting our pools installed at about the same time! I must say thou, I am extremely envious of your slide!!! We have been wanting to get one, but don't much care for the typical ones seen around our area. I love how sturdy yours looks - do you feel its pretty sturdy?? Does it work/slide well? Do you recall the name of it or approx how much it cost (if I may even ask that). Which builder did you use?

Have you decided when to close?? The weather this summer has been SO abnormal for STL!! I think we will close the first week of October. :-(

Cathy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.