Under Construction! Cypress/Tomball TX New pool build, small yard

Same here.. no rebar in my steps, although the baja ledge did have rebar in it.

BP said they only use rebar in steps if it goes beyond 2 steps high or if the steps are very long ~ running the length of the pool.

Totally normal. They will form the steps with the gunnite.

BTW, your yard is even smaller than mine, but if you look at the link in my signature, you'll see how nice a pool in a small yard can turn out!

The junk about screens and the SWG is total nonsense. Don't let that be your deciding factor. If you want it, get it! I have it on mine and love, love, love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also plan to use travertine which would need to be sealed. The plan for now is to have them start it up with chlorine tablets and I would convert over to bleach. If it becomes too much of a hassle, I would then consider adding a SWG later.

- - - Updated - - -

It is common for one or two steps to not have rebar. Rebar is necessary for the structural integrity of the pool shell. If the stairs aren't integral to the pool shell then rebar is not required.

My steps had none.

BTW, your yard is even smaller than mine, but if you look at the link in my signature, you'll see how nice a pool in a small yard can turn out!

The junk about screens and the SWG is total nonsense. Don't let that be your deciding factor. If you want it, get it! I have it on mine and love, love, love it!

Another pool here without rebar in the steps.

Same here.. no rebar in my steps, although the baja ledge did have rebar in it.

BP said they only use rebar in steps if it goes beyond 2 steps high or if the steps are very long ~ running the length of the pool.

Thanks for all the reassurance about the steps, it appears that this is normal.My only concern was that the steps would separate from the shell or something without the rebar.

One more thing. I saw your build, very nice! What did you plant behind your pool? I'm looking at either planting something right along the back 12" wall or something right along the fence line, but need 3-4 feet of passageway to get from one side of the yard to the next. We also have utilities back there though so I may be limited to what I end up doing.
Thanks

The steps are shot
monolithicly with the shell so it is impossible for separation to occur, absent a nice strong earthquake.

One more thing. I saw your build, very nice! What did you plant behind your pool? I'm looking at either planting something right along the back 12" wall or something right along the fence line, but need 3-4 feet of passageway to get from one side of the yard to the next. We also have utilities back there though so I may be limited to what I end up doing.
Thanks

A mix of plants. The back fence has wax myrtle and bottle brush. And a few magnolias. Directly behind the pool are few Japanese blueberries.

Regarding the sealant, I have travertine and stone, and seal it twice a year. It's not cheap per gallon, but 3M's salt water stone sealant works really well and since I have a small area, I've still not finished the second gallon.

The steps are shot
monolithicly with the shell so it is impossible for separation to occur, absent a nice strong earthquake.
Great, thanks. Let's all hope for no earthquakes!:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

A mix of plants. The back fence has wax myrtle and bottle brush. And a few magnolias. Directly behind the pool are few Japanese blueberries.

Regarding the sealant, I have travertine and stone, and seal it twice a year. It's not cheap per gallon, but 3M's salt water stone sealant works really well and since I have a small area, I've still not finished the second gallon.

Thank you for your help. I'll be sure to check out those plants and the sealant

We also plan to use travertine which would need to be sealed. The plan for now is to have them start it up with chlorine tablets and I would convert over to bleach. If it becomes too much of a hassle, I would then consider adding a SWG

I'm getting SWG and Travertine, also in Cypress. We're not planning to seal at the guidance of two PB and I know several others here have travertine with SWG that isn't sealed.

I'm getting SWG and Travertine, also in Cypress. We're not planning to seal at the guidance of two PB and I know several others here have travertine with SWG that isn't sealed.

That's interesting that they are telling you not to seal it. Did they give you a reason not to? I would think even if not necessary, better safe than sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because the sealer has to be reapplied and will continue to cost money. They feel the 'damage' from the salt is very minimal and if you're washing your travertine with a hose you can minimize it even for (versus letting water evaporate and salt to build up on the surface). I've done a good amount of research and it seems several people 3-5 years have had minimal issues and they are all a natural wear kind of look, which I'm personally okay with. This is for travertine. My PBs did recommend against any kind of softer stone like flagstone.

Because the sealer has to be reapplied and will continue to cost money. They feel the 'damage' from the salt is very minimal and if you're washing your travertine with a hose you can minimize it even for (versus letting water evaporate and salt to build up on the surface). I've done a good amount of research and it seems several people 3-5 years have had minimal issues and they are all a natural wear kind of look, which I'm personally okay with. This is for travertine. My PBs did recommend against any kind of softer stone like flagstone.

Seems pretty imprudent advice to me. But then again, I don't believe in 10,000 mile oil changes either. I spent $270 on two gallons of sealer and that will have lasted me two seasons by the time I'm done. Seems reasonable on a multi-thousand dollar investment. It takes maybe 2 hours to sweep and wash the small deck, and seal it. The only pain is trying to pick a few days where it won't rain.

To be honest, it's a natural stone, and my preference is for it not to rut, stain, or otherwise degrade. Your preference for having it weather is certainly your aesthetic choice. I'm in the industry, and I've seen the results of how fast travertine and other natural stones can weather. I'd seal it even with a chlorine pool, to be honest, to keep dirt off and to slow the degradation.

Hmm... We'll consider it but it's not likely we'll seal. Several POs here have posted about theirs being fine several years later with no sealant and two PBs that are very well respected have told me that. I'll keep it in mind though.

Re: Signed! Cypress/Tomball TX New pool build, small yard

Cypress here too... We're working on getting bids as we speak for our 2nd pool (we recently moved.) Any info you can share on your experiences with PBs via PM would be great! It's amazing how many of them are out there!

Cypress here too... We're working on getting bids as we speak for our 2nd pool (we recently moved.) Any info you can share on your experiences with PBs via PM would be great! It's amazing how many of them are out there!

I bet Suz can send you a whole list in the Cypress area. I'm in Cypress too and I'll PM you the two we've narrowed down to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.