Umbrella sleeve bigger then 1.5” with a cap?

fnhanks

May 2, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It seems like there are only two options for pool umbrella sleeves that you can put in a sun shelf, but they are both 1.5”. We’re looking to get a larger umbrella (11’ or 13’) and they have 2.25 - 2.5” aluminum center poles.

Is anyone aware of a sleeve, that has a cap, for larger diameter umbrellas? Or is there a problem in going with just a PVC sleeve, without a cap? These will be in the sun shelf, not out on the deck, so ideally won’t fill with leaves and such?

The make caps for PVC pipes so you could have a cap. I would not want an open hole (sleeve) any where by or in the pool. It will become a mess and fast and be VERY hard to clean.

Me? I love the cantilever umbrella sets ups. They can be moved where it needed and they are very pretty.

An umbrella will put a lot of side load on an in-deck/in-pool sleeve when the breeze comes up.
The larger the diameter umbrella and higher the umbrella is, the higher the side loading.
With a large umbrella, the PVC sleeve can easily crack.

Most in pool umbrella sleeves have a flush mounted cap to keep debris out when the sleeve is not in use.

Seriously consider a cantilever type umbrella - especially if the umbrella is over 10' in diameter.
And remember, the sun moves thru the sky - a fixed mounted umbrella doesn't provide the shade where you want/need it most of the day.

I've used my in-pool sleeve a few times for an 8' beach umbrella (the one with a 2 piece pole). It's a lightweight portable type umbrella. Anything larger in diameter is either cantilever or in a study (but movable) umbrella base on the deck.

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks folks. I didn’t get an answer to my original question of “do they make sleeves bigger then 1.5”, however I think based on the feedback here, the following is what I’m moving forward with:

* get the standard 1.5” sleeves (as in pic above) and install those
* only install smaller <= 8’ umbrellas in them in the sunshelf
* for larger umbrellas (11-15’) get a cantilever umbrella that’s on the deck and not in the sleeve

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.