UltraTemp and MasterTemp Combo vs MasterTemp only

The MasterTemp can heat your pool and spa.

I don’t think the economic payback is there for the cost of the UltraTemp.

If you have a few thous to put on your equipment pad and devote it to climate initiatives then spend your money your way.

Reactions: apg1428
You have solar PV or do you pay for electricity?

We have solar PV but it is not enough to heat the pool and there is no space to add more panels.

I was wondering about the combination of a gas heater (to heat the spa mostly) and an electric heat pump (for the pool) as a more energy efficient option and reduce operating costs.

We have solar PV but it is not enough to heat the pool and there is no space to add more panels.

I was wondering about the combination of a gas heater (to heat the spa mostly) and an electric heat pump (for the pool) as a more energy efficient option and reduce operating costs.
Sure, if you ignore capital costs to get there.

Depends what the spread is between NG energy cost and electrical cost. Both of which are politically influenced in your State.

Build your equipment pad large enough for both heaters and you can add the UltraTemp later should the economics make sense to you.

For what it’s worth, I was sold on the idea of both, and I had excess solar PV that I convinced myself I would make use of. But the second that I exceed my PV output it’s more economical to heat with NG, so in hindsight if I were doing it again I would have done mastertemp only.

With that said, I do make use of the ultratemp because I have it, and try to make the best of it, and it does work for what it is.

I think it’d be an even tougher sell in your location because your ambient temps are lower than mine. My $0.02, go with mastertemp only

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And to add to that PG&E's electric rates are among the highest rates in the country and they keep going up. There's also a much bigger jump in cost as you push up into the higher use tiers. Even though a heat pump is more efficient than gas we don't really have the 80 degree daytime temps combined with 80% humidity that are needed for heat pumps to put out their rated capacity.

Even though the gas bills keep going up also, gas is still more cost effective than the electricity needed to run a large heat pump.

If you had the space rooftop solar thermal panels and a bubble cover are the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.