Ugly green pool - how much Chlorine to add? (pics included)

polyvue said:
I bet you could do this in your sleep! The procedure sounds right to capture Free Chlorine... except the "divide by .5" part; I think this was a typo... you want to multiply by .5 to get FC. Add 5 drops of R-0003 afterward to check on CCs. If there's no pink, you don't need to add R-0086 to measure the CCs, just log CC = 0.0.

You are right. It was a typo. I was thinking on "diving by two" but got mixed with the 0.5 instead. No problem here.
Ok with the CC's. Thanks for the reminder (do check it too :))

I don't know the answer, but I think re-testing showed that the chlorine was used up. The fact that CYA binds with chlorine requires that you shock at higher levels of chlorine so that there's more Free Chlorine available for killing the microorganisms (algae being one.) So the process is happening as you would expect in pool water that has been taken over by algae... tomorrow, don't go home before increasing Free Chlorine back up to shock level for the night. You don't want to give the algae an opportunity to keep growing.

Other than that minor point, it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Ok, perfect. I just tested the pool right now 9:50 am and these were the results (couldn't test this yesterday night):

FC: 4
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 160

Added a little more Muriatic Acid and then Bleach to raise the FC to shock level for this pool FC:16.

Will check again at the afteroon... for sure..

Many thanks for your help and support :wave:

Will keep you posted!

Hi all,

Here is an update.

Over the last three-four days I have been backwashing and then washing the sand filter. It had a lot of green stuff everyday (did it twice per day initially and now only once every two days).

With the backwashing the pool level got a little low, so I reflilled it with a hose (remember this does not use an automatic filling system) and guess what.... the pH got again above 7.2 !! in those days, so for two days I had to balance it again (once got to 8.2 and the other to 7.6). So now I am not filling the pool until we are done.. Is this ok?

The pool level is just were the skimmer "hole" starts ... so little water enters to the skimmer.. Should I have the level up again? I would just have to re-balance the pH with muriatic acid again.

You were right about the OTO test. With a lot of bleach, the test was orangish...

The pool now looks milky blue!.. before was like milky green/blue and today is more milky blue only...still can't see anything to the bottom...

Today I tested the pool and these were the results:

pH: 7.2 (just perfect since yesterday hehe)
FC: 4 (added 8 liters of bleach to reach again shock level of 16)
CC: 0.5 (has been 0.5 for the last 3-4 days)
TA: 170 (still high)

Next thing I recall I have to do is wait until the water is clear so you can see through it to the bottom? And then start brushing and made 1 final shocking?

Jason Lion's post has been very useful (thanks Polyvue!) but maybe you have something you want to correct to me?

I am adding pictures from the 20th and then today, 21st.. pool is so different now and the algae from the pool steps that was green now looks brownish..

Attachments

• 20Nov_0001.jpg
    20Nov_0001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20Nov_0003.jpg
    20Nov_0003.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 433
  • 21Nov_0002.jpg
    21Nov_0002.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
[MS]

HardTrance9 said:
Over the last three-four days I have been backwashing and then washing the sand filter. It had a lot of green stuff everyday (did it twice per day initially and now only once every two days).

With the backwashing the pool level got a little low, so I reflilled it with a hose (remember this does not use an automatic filling system) and guess what.... the pH got again above 7.2 !! in those days, so for two days I had to balance it again (once got to 8.2 and the other to 7.6). So now I am not filling the pool until we are done.. Is this ok?

The fill water probably has a relatively high pH... that really can't be helped. I recommend filling the pool to its normal level and adding muriatic acid as needed to keep the pH in check. So long as you're backwashing frequently, you'll need to replenish the water and adjust pH fairly regularly. You're not wasting the acid... if you stopped adding water to the pool you would eventually drain it below suction and not be able to run the pump.

The pool level is just were the skimmer "hole" starts ... so little water enters to the skimmer.. Should I have the level up again? I would just have to re-balance the pH with muriatic acid again.
Today I tested the pool and these were the results:

pH: 7.2 (just perfect since yesterday hehe)
FC: 4 (added 8 liters of bleach to reach again shock level of 16)
CC: 0.5 (has been 0.5 for the last 3-4 days)
TA: 170 (still high)

The measurements that really matter right now are Free Chlorine and pH. It's amazing to see the poor condition of this pool when you began; of course, it still doesn't look too inviting. :cry: But if you are successful in keeping FC level at 16 ppm every day and night, keep brushing, and backwash when necessary, the water will clear.

Next thing I recall I have to do is wait until the water is clear so you can see through it to the bottom? And then start brushing and made 1 final shocking?

Jason Lion's post has been very useful (thanks Polyvue!) but maybe you have something you want to correct to me?

I just went back and re-read that post you're referring to. It is an excellent article. I have nothing to add to that compendium, and would suggest only that you do what you're already doing. The pool will tell you when it's ready for an overnight chlorine loss test.

Ok, many thanks Polyvue, as always it is very helpful (gives me peace hehe) to know everything is going according to plan.

More later.. going to check the pool now again.

EDIT:

Just checked the levels:

FC: 3.5 (to get it to FC:16 need to add 8 lts., just added 4 now, don't have more, need to buy)
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.4 (added 1 lt. MA)

Seems like will be needing to buy more bleach as I can't hold the shock level to steady 16. Will start again with the twice per day check mornings and afternoons.

But have one question here:

Does anyone know if the shock level has to really be kept at (in this case) FC: 16 no matter the CC's are steady at 0.5 for the last 5 days? I guess I have to in order to get rid completely of the algae right? Just thinking if algae could get back with CC's at 0.5 for now.

Thanks!

HardTrance9 said:
Does anyone know if the shock level has to really be kept at (in this case) FC: 16 no matter the CC's are steady at 0.5 for the last 5 days? I guess I have to in order to get rid completely of the algae right? Just thinking if algae could get back with CC's at 0.5 for now.
High CC tells you something is wrong. However, low CC doesn't tell you everything is okay. I had two different algae blooms and never once saw CC over 0.5.

You need to do your best to keep the FC up, until it holds overnight.
--paulr

Hello all...

Another update. Finally we have achieved to maintain the FC level at a minimum of 12.5-14 every day, though not exactly the 16 mark.. hope this won't be a big issue.. or it is?

I had to leave for a couple of days, but left one of our guys checking the pool mornings and afternoons to be sure that FC level does not drop below 12.5 at least and always adding bleach according to the pool calc. to reach shock level at FC 16 and brushing once a day the whole pool, backwashing like every two-three days (water does not get that "dirty" anymore) and vacuuming (is this ok to do? the vacuum thing?)..

CC dropped some days from 0.5 to 0.0 and then again was 0.5 but stable between those.

Once I return after the weekend will check on the pool, will take pictures and show you the progress. Hopefully the water is more clear and if not I will ask for your expert advise to know what we could be doing wrong or what extra things we could do..

I believe that you've been shocking the pool for at least two weeks.... I would think this is a good time to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if the chlorine holds. Everything you've reported doing is going to help (brushing, backwashing, vacuuming) and you may be at the end of this journey. To be sure, post a picture of the pool, the results of an overnight chlorine test as well as the other test results (TA, CH, CYA.)

polyvue said:
I believe that you've been shocking the pool for at least two weeks.... I would think this is a good time to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if the chlorine holds. Everything you've reported doing is going to help (brushing, backwashing, vacuuming) and you may be at the end of this journey. To be sure, post a picture of the pool, the results of an overnight chlorine test as well as the other test results (TA, CH, CYA.)

Ok thanks. I am running out of FC test and already ran out of CYA test... so will have to wait until my next order arrives.. probably in 1 week or two :( (have a spare K-2006 Taylor kit and I guess I can use that one for the FC meanwhile.. no CYA left in that kit either)...

Pics, results, etc., soon..

Thanks Polyvue! :-D

Of course, you can just estimate the CYA level at this point... don't need this to perform an overnight free chlorine loss test, but I'd recommend using the accurate FAS/DPD chlorine test found in the K-2006 or TF-100 kit to measure FC and CC.

Hi all,

Today we will make the overnight FC loss test...

This Bleach Pool (not SWG) looks much more blue now (pics attached), but it is still kind of milky... Any recommendations on how to clear it out?

Here are the results from yesterday 3 pm :

FC: 4
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 110
CH: 230
CYA: 30

Thanks for your help as always..

Attachments

• DSC07645.JPG
    DSC07645.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC07650.JPG
    DSC07650.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HT9,

Those test results look very good. Removing the cloudiness from the pool will take some time, good filtering, and chlorine.

1. Keep your chlorine at least that high until the pool is crystal

2. Run the pump 24/7 and clean and back wash as needed

3. Brushing the sides and bottom of the pool may help some as well.

Do not let your chlorine drop down below that level....even for day. The cloudiness can be organic and it will take the chlorine to help clear it.

Be as patient as you can. The last bit of cloudiness can seem to take a very long time. Keeping the chlorine levels higher usually speeds things up if you are doing the other things right like brushing and filtering.

Once that pool is crystal clear, I would suggest elevating the CYA up to around 50.....but not 'til it's clear.

duraleigh said:
HT9,

Those test results look very good. Removing the cloudiness from the pool will take some time, good filtering, and chlorine.

1. Keep your chlorine at least that high until the pool is crystal

Keeping the chlorine levels higher usually speeds things up if you are doing the other things right like brushing and filtering.

Thanks Dave!

Just one question to get it right. By saying keep the chlorine level high you mean keep it at shock level? or just standard level?, lets say, FC: 8?

By the way got JUST IN TIME all the four test kits and the CYA test kit. It saved me because this week have to work on balancing the other pools... This test kits are great. Need to get a couple extra kits in a few days.

:-D

Just one question to get it right. By saying keep the chlorine level high you mean keep it at shock level? or just standard level?, lets say, FC: 8?
YOu have some leeway here, with a CYA of 25, your shock value is 15ppm. That is not a magic number where 15ppm works and 14ppm does nothing, it's more like 15ppm is a good guide for a level to keep in your pool. It doesn't have to be that sprecific but, generally, if you can keep the chlorine up around 8+ (and don't let it dip back down) I think that pool will clear in a few more days.

If you choose to keep it at 15ppm, you will lose quite a bit more chlorine and probably not speed the process up enough to make it worth it.

At the stage you are in, good filtration and circulation become almost as important as the chlorine so make sure your filter is doing it's job and run that pump as much as is practicable.

Thank you fior the nice words about the kit.

Check your PM's

laurandavid09 said:
Trust me it does take time to get it clear. I will post a link to my pool I had to get fixed.

Maybe this will offer encouragement. Ths was my pool and took a long time but well worth it.

just-getting-started-and-need-help-t17741.html

Phew... that was a long thread... but very interesting... nice to see the change with the pictures..

Now this pool (MS on signature) is getting clearer by the day maintaing a FC level of 8-10 max. instead of the shock level of FC 16 as the overnight loss test was just of 1.0 ppm max.

This week will be testing it everyday again as we have some guests arriving next Friday ...

You can't imagine how DIFFICULT was for me to suddenly try to get over 4 pools with no near stores to find the products, nor fast service to get the test kits, no pool techs in this area, etc.. but finally we are getting there..

Now I am dealing with the SG pool on my signature here: post147926.html

Congrats with your pool! It looks great! Hope I can this one (MS) like that in the next few days.. will post pics later this week..

HardTrance9 said:
laurandavid09 said:
Trust me it does take time to get it clear. I will post a link to my pool I had to get fixed.

Maybe this will offer encouragement. Ths was my pool and took a long time but well worth it.

just-getting-started-and-need-help-t17741.html

Phew... that was a long thread... but very interesting... nice to see the change with the pictures..

Now this pool (MS on signature) is getting clearer by the day maintaing a FC level of 8-10 max. instead of the shock level of FC 16 as the overnight loss test was just of 1.0 ppm max.

This week will be testing it everyday again as we have some guests arriving next Friday ...

You can't imagine how DIFFICULT was for me to suddenly try to get over 4 pools with no near stores to find the products, nor fast service to get the test kits, no pool techs in this area, etc.. but finally we are getting there..

Now I am dealing with the SG pool on my signature here: post147926.html

Congrats with your pool! It looks great! Hope I can this one (MS) like that in the next few days.. will post pics later this week..

Well hopefully it will help as you saw how green mine was to how clear it is now. Good luck as it looks like you are getting there.

Hi all,

Yesterday we decided to do again the FC overnight loss test.

Yesterday with no sun we had FC: 9.5
Today in the morning 7 am we had FC: 8.0

We added 33 oz. (946 ml.) of 5.25% bleach to get it back to FC: 9.5

The pool is blue now, but still coudy. Could it be because we are maintaining the FC a little high?. Shock level was 16, now we were using a target of FC 9-10. Is it too high?

We have been backwashing and cleaning the filter on a daily basis.

How could we make it less cloudy (some 4-5 days like this now)?

Thanks a lot!

Based on your 1.5 ppm loss (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) it sounds like you may have a bit more algae to kill. So, you've decided to chlorinate to a little more than half way to shock level. That's probably OK at this point, but it make take a few more days to clear... keep brushing, backwashing, etc. and try not to let the Free Chlorine level go below the currrent 9.5. You don't want to give any nascent algae an opportunity to revive.

polyvue said:
Based on your 1.5 ppm loss (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) it sounds like you may have a bit more algae to kill. So, you've decided to chlorinate to a little more than half way to shock level. That's probably OK at this point, but it make take a few more days to clear... keep brushing, backwashing, etc. and try not to let the Free Chlorine level go below the currrent 9.5. You don't want to give any nascent algae an opportunity to revive.

Ok will do. Thanks Polyvue!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.