CJ_Dangle

Jan 16, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Afternoon all - we are experiencing freezing temps here in Texas. I am running the pump 24/7, however I have an auto filler line that meets with a spigot on the house. To prevent any issues, I’ve turned the water off to the spigot and left the spigot and autofill valves open, so any pressure from ice can be relieved.

Do I need to worry about water from the pool back flowing up the autofill line and out the open spigot?

Attachments

• 5C1867BD-AB4C-4BA7-80EA-3608A7C610E9.jpeg
    5C1867BD-AB4C-4BA7-80EA-3608A7C610E9.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 31
That is a lot of exposed metal though. I would try to unhook and cover as much as you can.

My fill line also comes off of a Y from the hose bib. I completely disconnected everything from the bib and added a bib cover.

The surest way to prevent an outside faucet from freezing is to replace a standard faucet with a frost-proof one known as a sill-cock. These faucets are controlled with a long rod that extends into the home, where a cartridge or compression valve controls the flow of water. Since the valve itself is located within the safe warmth of the home, it is almost impossible for it to freeze.

Reactions: CJ_Dangle
There’s a fence with a roof around the equipment. The pump seemed to keep it warm (I use the word “warm” loosely lol). Here’s a photo that shows some of it. Good call though, I should at least insulate it.

Attachments

• 6221CCEC-26CD-4B1A-B142-542B9DBA996F.jpeg
    6221CCEC-26CD-4B1A-B142-542B9DBA996F.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.