Two Tier/Infinity Questions

Aug 30, 2013
Maryland
So we're getting close to wanting to start on our new pool. One of the ideas that keeps popping up is for us to do a two tier and infinity setup. The lower would be the deep end, upper the shallow end. Probably 600/600 sq ft or so for each with a raised spa.

Our yard slopes down 5 feet or so over the length of the pool so this seems to help that.

On the down side, it will be a plumbing nightmare. Extra pump, filter, heater, swg, etc. Any creatives ways to avoid this?

Anyone with a similar setup? Thanks!

Sure. Something like this.

3c12795212af2258da3cd62550dcfd2e.jpg

Wow beautiful! So basically you want 2 pools. It looks very similar to raised spa/pool combos but with 2 pools instead of pool/spa. It would be awesome but I can say looking at that picture you better budget upwards of $150k to do it. Since both pools are connected you won't need to double everything equipment-wise.

Well, so the idea is 2 pools and spa. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying not to double up equipment.

General advice seems to be to not run the edge constantly due to cost and heat loss. So I can’t really figure out how to not double up on pump, heater, filter, swg. That’s where I’m hoping for some advice.

If we go down this route I’d mostly like to avoid not having two sets of heaters.

Well, so the idea is 2 pools and spa. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying not to double up equipment.

General advice seems to be to not run the edge constantly due to cost and heat loss. So I can’t really figure out how to not double up on pump, heater, filter, swg. That’s where I’m hoping for some advice.

If we go down this route I’d mostly like to avoid not having two sets of heaters.

A pool that size will most likely need 2 pumps at least. I know a lot of smaller pools that have 3 pumps. You could get away with one heater but keep in mind you'd need to keep the pool(s) circulating together to heat all bodies of water. This is a bigger issue when you are initially getting it up to season temp. It should remain fairly well heated throughout the season depending on what temp you like to swim in. It also makes a big difference if you are planning on putting a solar cover each night to retain heat. You could do a gas heater for the spa and heat pump for the rest of the pool. My neighbor has that setup.

You need to know how much total volume before you make the decisions on equipment. Based on a standard doubling of SWCG capacity vs pool volume you might need 2 anyway since the largest ones are good for 60k gallons. And since you need chlorine in the entire pool, you'll also need to either combine the pool's circulation much of the day or else have a SWCG on each large pool body and/or supplement with bleach.

Have you talked with any pool builders to get their input yet?

Thanks for the feedback.

I was originally planning on a heat pump + propane heater in general for the one pool. But the addition of the 2nd makes this confusing. There isn't a good way to make them "circulate together" as you mention - that's kind of the main question here.

I'd expect to be in the 40k gallon range. The one builder we spoke with wanted ~$350k range. I'll end up GC'ing it and come in low to mid 100s hopefully with landscaping.

You could make them circulate together. But if you want them to circulate without spilling over that would be a little more of a challenge. For the former, I would probably put a return close to the top of the higher pool level and pump up from the lower pool allowing it to spillover to the lower. If the check-valve failed (never rely on a check-valve for flood protection) it would only siphon down to the return level avoiding draining the upper pool to the lower pool so it is important to have that return as high as possible. I am approaching this from setting up an aquarium sump filtration system since the principles are similar. My advice is have the builder supply you with a full plan on how everything connects to better understand how the plumbing would work.

my builder actually did the exact same thing a few years ago. he said it was a nightmare logistically. lol it came out awesome though. they have a bar sitting stool areas also. the seats are huge pieces granite or something similiar that they had craned into each spot. theirs is 3 tiers I think cause the spa is also a separate higher area. i can see if i can get some pics to post up but i don't know.

i know each level is on their own pump system. i didn't get into those details. he did say keeping the stone and tile on the infinity edges over winter cause it gets closed because of where we live is always a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.