Two drops acid demand every day with small change in PH or TA?

NickJ

Jun 29, 2015
Columbia/SC
I am baffled this year but ordered the Pro version of the TF test kit which arrives later today to rule out bad chemicals. My question is: What would cause my attempt to achieve a 7.2 PH so I can SLAM the pool to continue demanding acid (The old Taylor 2006 says 2 drops worth every day for last 3 days.) PH has not decreased (or stayed) at all and TA has only dropped from 120 to 110. I don't think I have ever had TA that high at the start so could that cause this? I stopped using calcium hypochlorite a few years ago and now use 12.5% liquid chlorine all the time. CYA has dropped to zero over the winter and I plan to raise it to 30-40 as soon as the new test kit comes in and before slamming of course. I picked up another case of acid but have put in about 1/2 gallon every day for the past 3 days with VERY little change. Hopefully one of you experts will help me.

It looks like 7. 6 or 8 and then 2 drops take it to 7.2 but after i add that much (about 1/2 gallon) the next day everything is the same. TA has only fallen by 10 (from 120 to 110) even though I have repeated this the last 3 dats, My TF Pro kit arrived late today so I can confirm if these test are right or not tomorrow. Thanks

I posted this a few days ago but now can't find it. I just received a TFP Pro test kit so I now know my testing chemicals are good. Today I discovered my calcium hardness is much lower than normal (about 125 whereas it is normally 300) . Could that cause this? My PH is still about 8 and TA has only dropped from 120 to 110 after the acid was added. (the 120 was with old chemicals but nothing seems different.) I guess this happened over the winter but I did not have any greater water loss that I know of and CH usually stays above 250 so I cant explain why it is so low. CYA registers zero so I need to get it back to 30-40 first, right? What should I add to increase calcium hardness? I haven't had to do that in YEARS!