Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Over the past week we have awaken and come home to find two possums dead in our pool on two different occasions. Both were killed by our dog (Akita) with one being beheaded and the other torn open as we found other body parts in the yard.

What steps should we take to clean, disinfect our gunite pool? My thinking is this is a reason to drain and refill the pool since they obviously bled and internal organs from these possums would have been floating in the pool for hours. Any advice and thoughts?

Beyond scooping/filtering out the parts - that is what Chlorine is for. Killing things that may have found body fluids tasty - bacteria, viruses, etc. Any fan of CSI or Criminal Minds knows that bleach is the preferred way to clean up blood after a murder. If squeamish, you can do a mini-SLAM for a day or two, but if your CL levels have been good, are still good, and you pass an overnight test, you are good to go....

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you for the guidance. I couldn’t find much online or on the TFP website in regards to similar instances so I wanted to check with other pool owners for the best steps to take.