Tulsa Pool Build, new IG

We have had water for about one month, did not test it, they were working on the mechanicals and I think they are made out of molasses, because as the weather got cooler, they got slower. They have not do the formal check out, supposed to be last week, then this Sat, then Monday. We will see. Went ahead and test the water the the handy dandy TF 100

FC .5
CC-0
CH 175
TA-90
CYA-30 (though still new at the process)
PH-7.8
TC- around 1
Salt-3600

So I text the guy who will be doing the check out. Told him I want to review the chemistry when we do the check out and was surprised mainly by the CH. ( We have had a recent large rain for several days) But I was concerned with new pebble plaster, that the CH was to low, the CSI was -.4 I think.

He text me back , told me not to worry about it, he said most of the values will be off for the first year or two, no big deal and he will show me how to bring down the CH. My thought was :confused:, CH should be 300 isn, my chlorine and CYA are in the toilet, need a little acid and my salt levels are about as high as I want them.

New pool, low CH is that correct, and would need to keep the CH even lower. That doesn't seem to jive with the TFP method. Or at least I think it doesn't.

The Gemstone is called Blue granite opal. Or at least that is what I think. I saw the same of the blue granite, not the blue granite opal, and really liked it in their test pool and the hand held sample as well as what I saw online. I wanted to see a pool completely finished, and I saw one I really liked, when I asked them they said it was the blue granite opal. Basically new version of the Blue granite. It was the blue that I was looking for. Not to light, not to dark, enough other color, but absolutely no green. I did not want even a trace of green. Well, I ordered the blue granite opal and when it was sprayed, I saw some green in the pebbles, which were not there on the sample, but again the sample was the older Blue granite. There was not very much so, so no worries. I turned the water on and with in the first few feet, I noted that the water had a green tinge to it,took close to 40 hours plus with two hoses to fill, :(. It definitely had a green color as you see. This coincided with some issues with the house as well, so I pretty much went off the deep end. I hated the color just because I did not want any green. Which is some what odd, because I think the green tinted pools looked better, but I did not want to worry about algae detection ect. I don't know if it is acceptance of the fact that it is toruquois, or the fact that almost everyone that has seen it has commented very positively on the color (with out being prompted). It seems to blend in more naturally with our back yard. Again, don't know if this is my brain coping with it, or I really like it now. I know clarity of the water will help me in my algae paranoia as well as I will be doing more overnight chlorine test, but given the option now to re do it, I wouldn't. Or at least I think I wouldn't.

The builder swears it is the same as the person that I visit. If it is then their can be a HUGE variation of color. I did try to get ahold of a real sample, of the blue granite opal, but he company website is old, does not even list it, and the only contact is via an online response email which does not work, and the builders that they have listed, almost all are non working. I think it is just an old website that is out of date.

Doesn't mater at this time it would be a 20k fix to change it, but I am not. Again, growing on me.

- - - Updated - - -

The above picture is not very good representation, very windy and there is a fine chop on the water, making it look milky and the diving board shot was way to dark.. I will try to get a better pic soon, unfortunately I am home mainly when it is dark so good lighting is hard to come by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's really pretty!
I'm looking at the Radiant Fusion in Topaz for mine. I called Gemstone and asked them to send me some samples. The next week I got a huge box in the mail, free of charge. :)

I'm having a hard time with my stone choices. What stone did you use? It's so pretty!

What!!!!!! about Gemstone, the online email thing didn't work for me and I didn't see a phone number, its a mute point anyway. This morning in the light, the color really looks good, anyway. I used the ......, I sort of can say it, sure can't spell it, even google couldn't find it. If you call the PB they can give you everything I used, they have it written on the front of the file. I think is sounds like copucula. My english teacher mom is surely embarrassed. Cupoloca, Culpocula, Copulcula.... I all my pictures of everything was on an old phone, that is no longer with us.

I love how the color has turned out. I have seen many builds when the water is first put in where there was a slight green touch BUT it went away as the water was balanced and the pool was brushed.

I am going to give you a link. I can't remember if I sent it before so.......Just know what your PB says trumps this link as HE holds the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

As far as your numbers...........TFP is based on science and experience.......again make sure your warranty is covered while you use your knowledge to do what will be best for YOUR pool long term.

Kim

I have seen many builds when the water is first put in where there was a slight green touch BUT it went away as the water was balanced and the pool was brushed.

Exactly. Initial green is due to new water, not algae. Unless your plaster is the kind that yields green water. Usually those are tan based plasters IIRC.

If anything, you should get the pH down as your plaster cures. It will creep up and will need brought back down to around 7.2.

Now onto comments... I love the pool. I love that grotto, especially the roof rock they used because that's where I'd be laying out, catching some rays.

Oh n who's the luck brusher? :mrgreen:

Kevin, I really love everything about your pool. Makes me feel better about our mutual PB. And seeing your decking, makes me seriously consider not having them score mine.

Can you post a picture of the front of your spa, please? They are trying to tell me that they only do spas with one 12" waterfall or three small waterfalls. I don't like either option. I'm wanting more like yours and Suz's with a trickle down/babbling brook effect and a wide opening.

How do you like the fire bowl? Does yours do water as well? I have 2 fire/water bowls in my build. They are pretty pricey but I just love them! I am hoping it's a decision I don't regret.

nini, just because they have always done xyz there is NO reason they cannot try 123. PM Suz and ask her about your spa lip. She had them try 123 and they loved it.

New can be scary BUT if they have a plan to follow to show how it can be done they might be willing to try it.

Kim

Kevin, I really love everything about your pool. Makes me feel better about our mutual PB. And seeing your decking, makes me seriously consider not having them score mine.

Can you post a picture of the front of your spa, please? They are trying to tell me that they only do spas with one 12" waterfall or three small waterfalls. I don't like either option. I'm wanting more like yours and Suz's with a trickle down/babbling brook effect and a wide opening.

How do you like the fire bowl? Does yours do water as well? I have 2 fire/water bowls in my build. They are pretty pricey but I just love them! I am hoping it's a decision I don't regret.

I will try to get my wife to send me one, darn daylight saving time hoses me.

I am having my pool check out today, if I can get home in time, so I have not used the firebowl yet. On the original it had 2 bowls and 2 torches, we had to cut them out due to the fact they are very very pricey. Hopefully will know what they do tonight. We were supposed to do this on Saturday, but the air temps were below 42 so the pool was on the freeze gaurd so he did not want to come out becuase we couldn't gone through all of the procedures.

As far as the waterfall, we have three, one from the spa, which makes the best sound, like a river running, it is there but not intrusive, then one over the grotto and one over the slide, they are much more loud and I don't like them as much. I like quite things. My wife and kids love when the others are on.

20151221_101948.jpg. Also as far as scoring concrete, I think they have to due to expansion and movement, the only concrete I have not seen scored is post tension. We have stamped on the top deck and sales on the bottom, supposed to be less slick. They did as shark grip to the stamped so it is pretty similar as of now

View attachment 44285. Also as far as scoring concrete, I think they have to due to expansion and movement, the only concrete I have not seen scored is post tension. We have stamped on the top deck and sales on the bottom, supposed to be less slick. They did as shark grip to the stamped so it is pretty similar as of now

what I mean by scoring is they would draw lines in the poured decking to simulate coping around the pool and make a pattern in the rest of the deck, instead of just having the cantilever deck with just the expansion joints.

Did you get any push back on how you wanted the waterfall in the spa? That's what I want, a gentle ripple.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.