Trying to SLAM with questions

Very cool and thanks. My local dealer said that I need to add at least 45 pounds of chlorine to break the demand caused by the ammonia. That seems a little extreme :)
It might not be. But around here we deal with gallons, not pounds. Powdered chlorines add possibly unwanted byproducts. Either Calcium - which can lead to scale and the need for a drain- or CYA- which can quickly rise to unwieldy levels, which also requires a drain - and quite possibly too much acidity, whick requires you to add pH adjusters and Baking Soda. Isn't that a great racket? Sell hundreds of dollars' worth of chemicals, then suggest a drain and start all over?

It's simpler to stick with liquid bleach. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

Just finished a SLAM and I'm thinking my scenario was similar to yours. Pool was opened with nearly no CYA. It consumed bleach like crazy for days and days. Took 16-17 days to pass the criteria for SLAM to be over. So hang in there. Ammonia can be a pain!

Very cool and thanks. My local dealer said that I need to add at least 45 pounds of chlorine to break the demand caused by the ammonia. That seems a little extreme
Emphasizing Richard 320's point, DO NOT put any chlorine in your pool except liquid bleach.

Secondly, If you are trying to mix pool store advice with what we teach, you will end up in the middle very confused. Pick one or the other but you can't do both.

Emphasizing Richard 320's point, DO NOT put any chlorine in your pool except liquid bleach.

Secondly, If you are trying to mix pool store advice with what we teach, you will end up in the middle very confused. Pick one or the other but you can't do both.

Totally agree. I think I threw that in there because I can see their longing for $$$ in their direction. I am sticking with the program and have only used liquid bleach. Maintaining shock levels above 12-13 ppm, checking the water about every two hours to maintain. I was encouraged that the pool still had chlorine in it this morning. Last check was 13 ppm after 2 hours.

Curious what effect PH has to all of this. My PH appears to be much above 8.0. Ill adjust with MA today, and I know its important in the slam process, but why?

Thanks again!

Totally agree. I think I threw that in there because I can see their longing for $$$ in their direction. I am sticking with the program and have only used liquid bleach. Maintaining shock levels above 12-13 ppm, checking the water about every two hours to maintain. I was encouraged that the pool still had chlorine in it this morning. Last check was 13 ppm after 2 hours.

Curious what effect PH has to all of this. My PH appears to be much above 8.0. Ill adjust with MA today, and I know its important in the slam process, but why?

Thanks again!
The pH test false reads high while FC is above 10. It's important to adjust before you start for this reason, once the SLAM starts you really cant test. If it was in the low 7's before the SLAM hold off on any MA until after FC is below 10 to get a good number. While SLAMing jsut worry about the FC

Getting bummed out! I clearly have a chlorine demand problem due to ammonia. I have bought 100.00 worth of liquid bleach since Saturday. I think Im making head way, but my FC dropped from 13 to 2.4 in about 6 hours today. I just raised it back to 15 in hope it will hold until morning.

Do I need to put in a large amount at one time or do I maintain as close to a shock level all of the time until it holds? Im having a hard time keeping up and dot want to spend 100's if there is an easier way.

The pool actually looks pretty good like a pretty gray with tinge of blue. I can barley see the floor of the shallow end but its definitely not green.

Don't be bummed! This was my first pool opening on my own. I didn't count, but I promise we used over 40 jugs of bleach. And it took nearly three weeks. I never thought it would end, but it finally did. I have a crystal clear pool. But it took soooo much bleach.

I just finished my first SLAM too. Mine was due to algae not ammonia, but on top of six bags of salt, I also lost count of the jugs of bleach after 28. However when it was all said and done, I was so proud of myself and the pool was super sparkly, it's definitely an incentive to not let it get out of whack again for sure. Keep at it! It's worth it. And yes pool stores give all kinds of conflicting advice. I feel much more in control of my pool now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.