trying to please two masters

Ok, here's the morning readings. I didn't do CH or the small kit with pH...figured the most important right now were the chlorines anyway...

FC: (not all the way pink at 7 drops, but it did start, going to do it again, still have some water left): 3.5 (this would match the test after 30 minutes, which it was already getting dark, but it would be at least 1 ppm lower than the test I did an hour after adding chlorine) :(

CC: 0.5 (BARELY turned pink when I added the 5 drops of R0003, and I mean BARELY, but yesterday it didn't turn at all.

So what does this mean? I feel like this still fits in the parameters of the OCLT test (I will be going to double check), but I'm not sure. :-(

(I so wanted to be right that it wasn't organics.....)

If this was my pool, I would take the following steps....

1. Vacuum that junk off the floor...either to waste or to filter....you can't get your pool clean until you do that.

2. Once you have removed the visible junk......Shock the pool.

3. Shocking is a process that must be adhered to perfectly or it will not work.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

read "How to Shock Your Pool" next. Then follow that process to the letter until your pool is crystal clear

I agree with that.

I just vacuumed to waste the best I could, added some paper towel to the filter, going to add some to the skimmer basket as well. Then I'm going to add chlorine to shock level (using the chart, my CYA is on the non-SWG part of the chart, but I figure that's ok, less CYA, less chlorine it will take, less money, ha!). I've also got the SWG running, so that should help. Then after 30 minutes, I'm going to brush the pool, then after an hour, I'm going to check the levels again. I will be rechecking every hour or so (I have my nieces and nephews today and might not be able to check every hour on the dot).

Just typing this for my benefit, typing it helps it to stick into my brain.

In the late afternoon/early evening, I may try to vacuum to waste again (if there's a significant amount of that stuff again; btw the way WetChem
Feel like playing chemist again? Can you get ahold of a small amount of that brown stuff from the bottom of the pool?
, that stuff gets "stuck" in the filter compartment, basically it is highly concentrated in water, and if I take a water sample from there, I bet it would settle. I'll play chemist again! Perhaps I missed my calling....). Then, after bringing up to shock again during my hourly sprees, wait 30 minutes, brush, wait 30 more minutes, test, add what I need to for one last shock and that will be my reading to compare to for the OCLT. (At which time, SWG will be off, so that won't add any additional chlorine).

Does this sound good?

ok, after 30 minutes, I took a sample and THEN brushed the pool. I also changed out the filter and the paper towels. Here's what the paper towels look liked today (this is what they looked like after only 30 minutes, the other picture was what they looked like from overnight):
7472766602_f6ccdd32ee.jpg

Here's the test report (only testing FC and CC right now):

FC: 14
CC: 0.5 (BARELY)

So I'm going to check again in 30 minutes (30 minutes after brushing) to see if the chlorine levels dropped. Add more to get back to shock level if needed. (My shock level was 12, and it got up to 14, is that ok? should I still add only to get to shock level of 12...based on a CYA of 30 that is...which is ridiculously low for my area and for a SWG, but I'm not worried about that now.)

Then it's off to wally world to get more chlorine and a couple more filters.

12:45 (so 3.5 hours after bringing to shock first time, 2 hours 20 minutes since last test which was FC at 13)

FC: 10
CC: BARELY 0.5 (can I emphasize this anymore? I mean, it's like this faint, is it really there tinge of pink when I add the 5 drops of stuff, and then I do one drop of the chlorine stuff and it is definitely clear, so I figure this means there are CC's in there).

So, adding 30 oz of 10% chlorine to bring it back up to shock.

What do y'all think? Losing FC to sunlight and/or algae?

I definitely think I got most of the "junk". There is more that has settled, but I'm not going to bother trying to vacuum to waste until the hubby gets back from golfing to help. It will be much easier with two people.

2:30

FC: 9.5

forgot to check the CC

and, hubby and I vacuumed to waste again, and family wanted to get in. Since the FC was below shock level, we said ok.

Going to bring it up to shock before we close the pool overnight and see how it goes. Although I'm guessing it will drop due to organics from people being in the pool and the FC fighting that.

After family leaves town (tomorrow), going to do the shock process to the letter.

1. Disregard your CC's test...don't even do it again until your pool is crystal clear and the visible junk has disappeared.

2. 12ppm FC is your target to shoot for each time you re-dose.....It is not a maximum or a minimum but a target.

3. Now that your are constantly keeping the FC near the shock level target, you are killing lots of algae in your pool and you need to help your pump and filter get that visible stuff out of your pool. Vacuum, brush and keep your filter clean as often as you can. This shock process is hard work and you must be diligent with constant testing, vacuuming, brushing, cleaning and redosing for it to be successful.

Run your pump 24/7 for now and be sure to target 12ppm tonight and again after you test tomorrow morning. Let us know what your pool looks like tomorrow AM.

EDIT: Just saw your post...give the family kudos for helping stir stuff up and getting it into the filter. You'll have some chlorine loss so dose it right back up to your target after the swim. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well, it seems that swimming around in it, really helped to stir things up. We changed the filter out numerous times with fresh paper towels and seems like this really caught a lot of stuff. Real test will be in the morning to see how much has settled. I got in for a dip and noticed I had not brushed as hard as I thought on the sides. There was a "bath tub ring" around the top, same color as those paper towels, just very faint. I got a small pool brush and went around the whole rim with that.

Checked the levels after everyone was finally out, FC was 5.5.

Added enough to bring it up to shock (12) and test 30 minutes later, and FC was spot on at 12. This was also after dark. Filter was also changed out one more time before last test.

Kind of excited to see in the morning what the story is.

One question, since there were bathers, shouldn't I expect some chlorine loss overnight from the organics from the bathers?

One question, since there were bathers, shouldn't I expect some chlorine loss overnight from the organics from the bathers?
Perhaps some, but you are not really ready to be concerned about overnight loss just yet. Get your pool crystal clear (vacuuming this AM while the pool is quiet would be good) first and then perform an OCLT but not 'til then.

I think this is an improvement.

Morning test:

FC: 12 (stayed exactly the same)

Here's a picture showing a comparison, on the left is 2 mornings ago, on the right is this morning. I'd say that looks a lot better. :party: (I'm not sure how to check the time the first photo was taken on my iphone, but I usually get up around the same time, so I know it's not a HUGE difference there):
7478378976_719247161c_b.jpg

Plan for this morning:
1) Clean filter
2) Vacuum to waste
3) Brush to stir everything up, then wait about an hour
4) Clean filter and check levels, then do this periodically throughout the day. (Hubby's birthday is today and since swimming yesterday was a success and it seemed to help get more of that junk filtered out, he wants to go ahead and have the birthday party at our house and let whoever wants to swim, swim. So, I will not be keeping the levels at shock level today. I will be checking to make sure it doesn't drop drastically during the day today before the party. Then after swimming, I will bring it back up to shock for overnight.)

Since we do fill with well water, I guess I'm going to need to add some Jack's Magic every so often. One question, I had used the Magenta stuff (and upon reading on Jack's Magic website, I'm not sure this was the best option). I'm thinking the Purple Stuff, since I have a SWG, or possibly just the plain 'ol Pink Stuff. Any comments or suggestions there?

Your pool is improving. Vacuuming that visible stuff off the bottom is VERY important. Go very slowly with the vacuum and get as much as you can without stirring it up, then brush it into suspension for your filter to catch it.

Your plan is good but remember that it is safe to swim right up to shock level so don't let your FC down too far.

I can't help much with the Jack's stuff (sequestrant) but have you ever taken a sample of your well water (not your pool water) and had it tested for iron?

Have the SWG running, haven't added any bleach yet.

11:15 a.m. test showed FC at 9.5.

Going to vacuum to waste again soon, then make the boys swim to stir it all up. As well as changing out the filter prior to the swim.

THANK YOU duraleigh for all the support and help the past couple of days, and THANK YOU TO EVERYONE here who is sticking with me! :wave:

(and yes, I plan on taking a sample of my well water in for testing. I am debating on going to the pool store-so I can buy another bottle of Jack's Magic, or just going to one of the municipal water stations close by.)

9.5ppm is OK...Your target of 12ppm is much better...Keep your chlorine up!

You only need Jack's if you know you have iron in the water. The stuff precipitating in your pool looks more like dead algae to me but I can't tell. That's why I asked if you have ever definitively confirmed the presence of iron. If so, how much?

If that pool is round, At the end of the swim session, have everybody in the pool start a whirlpool by walking/running around the perimeter of the pool all in the same direction. Then when you get out, the whirlpool you have created will bring almost all the junk to the center of the pool....making it a cinch to vacuum.

LOTS of swimming and fun yesterday.

Kept chlorine up throughout the afternoon and evening, dosed it before bed to bring back up to 12. Changed out filters periodically...just nastiness!

FC this morning: 12.5 (maybe could've been 12, but that last drop, it's like...is there pink? and then I add one more and it's definitely clear)

Going to zumba and will vacuum to waste again when I get back. Having the swimmers definitely helps get more stuff out. Just seriously, there's still "stuff"? Pool looks about the same as yesterday morning (and we had a light thunderstorm early this a.m.).

Swimmers did say their skin felt super dry after getting out. Is this from higher than normal chlorine levels? (They knew the risks, lol, of getting in while we're still trying to get rid of stuff.)

Also going to call around today to see how/where I can get my well water tested.

call the water dept in the closest town.
if there is an ecowater near you, call them, the guys in our local office are really good people... even if they don't do the tests there in-house, they should be able to send you to someone that does. (http://www.ecowater.com/locations.php
Actually any water treatment company should work... EW is just one of many out there.
Not sure I'd trust the LPS from what I read here
-wc

:party: Pool looks super good this morning. Hardly any of the "stuff" left on the bottom.

Swam for a bit after vacuuming to waste yesterday and had step-son make a whirlpool before he got out. When I checked on things later, the SWG had a "low-flow" light on. I'm thinking it's because I started to use the "quilted, quicker picker upper" paper towels and I had put a BUNCH on there before vacuuming to waste. We'll see what it says today during it's on time. I left paper towels off and put in a brand spanking new filter.

When can I start adjusting CYA? Ours was around 30 last time it was really checked and want to get that up so we can rely mostly on the SWG for our chlorine soon. It takes a week for CYA to show up in a test, correct?

Can I finish the shock process now? Including a OCLT test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.