Trying to get proposals now

debom

Aug 24, 2023
Florida
Hello from northeast FL! I have 3 different PBs giving me proposals. I have so many questions because research is often contradictory! I'm considering a smaller free for gunnite without bells and whistles. Previous pool at other house was AG 27' round with ionizer. Never had any problems. In ground has so many choices.
1. I'm seeing this forum leans towar salt and SWG. Right?
2. Do PBs always take months to submit a proposal? I swear a simple change takes them weeks to modify and/or respond to questions.
3. Is rectangle easier to clean via robot?
4. DE filter no matter what?
5. Why are all PBs forcing me toward travertine for deck? I want porcelain pavers and have it picked out. I don't get it.

Thanks in advance!

1. I'm seeing this forum leans towar salt and SWG. Right?
Yes. This much.

200w.gif

2. Do PBs always take months to submit a proposal? I swear a simple change takes them weeks to modify and/or respond to questions.
To be fair, it's their busy season.
3. Is rectangle easier to clean via robot?
Plenty of folks have shaped pools and their robots do fine. It doesn't do well with stools, Baja shelves and the top step, in either pool.
4. DE filter no matter what?
I'm a hardcore cartridge guy. No matter which way you go, get a model # and have us approve it. FL is the land of rinky dink filters. Larger filters go longer between cleanings but the PB couldn't care less if you need to do it every 3 weeks.
5. Why are all PBs forcing me toward travertine for deck? I want porcelain pavers and have it picked out. I don't get it.
What's locally available often dictates which way they prefer. Shipping stone is costly these days with freight charges somewhere in orbit.

Reactions: debom
Re pavers etc - it’s your pool and your money. If you want the pavers either tell them final decision or pull it out of their scope and find a paver company. You have to live with it for XX years

+100 on SWG at least 2x your size, large VS pump, no ionizer/uv, large cartridge filter, at least two skimmers plumbed in parallel, overflow line, autofill, and if you can budget it automation (esp if tying in SWG and VS pump).

The chlorine $$ and electricity $$ savings from SWG and variable will pay you back in a very short while esp if you are building now and can include it in the upfront cost. Get a larger variable so it’s more efficient at low rpm’s and reap the savings

Re shape - when we built last year we were told by a few PB rectangle was more expensive than free because rectangle had to be more exacting in layout.. freeform was more forgiving

Thank you all!
So far, 11x22 free form 3.5 to 5 depth, no baja or waterfeatures. The waterfall is gorgeous but too loud! I'm putting money in a larger deck and 20x40 cage.
One choice
1.85 hp vs Tristar xe
De filtration (huge filter)
Aqua pro plus 40k cell and subpage
Jandy valves

2nd choice
Pentagram 3 hp vs /200sqft cartridge
Ic40 salt

Water features are very loud for sure - and need to be maintained

Consider your water depth esp the 3.5’ if you intend to do swimming. just a thought - but usually the complaints lean to too shallow rather than too deep in terms of pool depth

By pentagram do you mean pentair? If so 200 filter is one of their smaller ones. I have a 11x29 with a 520 on it for example. IC 40 would be about right size (i have 11x29 worth a 3.5-5.5’ depth, about 10k gallons)

Water features are very loud for sure - and need to be maintained

Consider your water depth esp the 3.5’ if you intend to do swimming. just a thought - but usually the complaints lean to too shallow rather than too deep in terms of pool depth

By pentagram do you mean pentair? If so 200 filter is one of their smaller ones. I have a 11x29 with a 520 on it for example. IC 40 would be about right size (i have 11x29 worth a 3.5-5.5’ depth, about 10k gallons)
The auto correct is killing me. Yes you got the drift. I'm worried about a pool that's too big. The second quote people are pushing for 12x24 because they have a minimum dig. I used a tether for "laps" in my 27' round and had no problems. If you do flip turns, you need a significantly larger pool so no matter what, I need to use a tether for swimming. It does seem to me like the 2nd people are more high end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair/jandy/Hayward are indeed the premium brands.

Comparing your two options are not apples to apples tho - one is a small motor/de filter and one is large motor/cartridge.

A larger VS pump can push more water at lower speeds, and lower speeds = much less electricity. It’s not linear but rather exponential wattage curves to run higher speeds. So consider a larger VS no matter which option….esp if you go with SWG as then you can leave the VS motor running 24/7 at low rpm for continuous skimming and FC generation for a fraction of the cost

A DE is a great filter, but you have to backwash it occasionally, I do mine monthly and a good cleaning annually. You have to purchase DE to add to filter after each backwash or complete cleaning.

A large cartridge filter may be best for your needs as you will have a screen enclosure which substantially reduces the amount of debris in your pool. Go with a 300 sq ft or 400 sq ft cartridge filter. The large filter reduces the time between cleanings. You do not need to backwash a cartridge filter.

If you go with a DE filter, then ensure they install a Multiposition Valve (MPV) which makes it easy to backwash the filter, and also provides a line for waste or draining.

If you go with a cartridge filter, Suggest you put a bypass between your pump and filter to allow you to connect to drain line. Being in Florida with lots of rain it will come in handy if needed

Recommend that you have 2 skimmers and have each line independently plumbed back to the pump.

Reactions: debom and Newdude
I don't know if anyone is around to advise me... I've been reading all the threads about deciding between proposals. When I ask for a larger cartridge, and 2 skimmers, and a larger pump, they tell me I don't need it. Also, I like the idea of travertine or shellstone over a concrete subdeck (so it doesn't suck up the dirt) but all but one say they lay it on tamped dirt,stone.
My pool is only 11x22 and 3-5 ft deep. Am I being talked down to or is this a baby pool and doesn't need all the things being recommended? Or both, lol.

It is your money and you have to live with it long term. Get what you need. Now they may increase prices to discourage you so be aware of that. A large cartridge filter, 2 skimmers and a high HP pump are not over specced but give you more functionality for the long term.

Our recommendations are based on best practices and you can follow other construction threads on TFP to see how they handled the various options.

One thing is your depth - 3ft may be too shallow. Suggest you go minimum 3.5 ft and go to depth of 5.5ft.

It is your money and you have to live with it long term. Get what you need. Now they may increase prices to discourage you so be aware of that. A large cartridge filter, 2 skimmers and a high HP pump are not over specced but give you more functionality for the long term.

Our recommendations are based on best practices and you can follow other construction threads on TFP to see how they handled the various options.

One thing is your depth - 3ft may be too shallow. Suggest you go minimum 3.5 ft and go to depth of 5.5ft.
Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.