Trying to figure this all out

chenyi

Aug 16, 2017
Bloomfield, NJ
I just have a 1000 gallon inflatable for the kids, but I do want to keep it clean. I'm also a professional handyman, so I want to learn a little bit about pool maintenance and generally know what I'm talking about a little bit.

A bunch of random questions:

1) I saw a few people recommending TFP, so I just came to the site and started doing it. Apparently, there are different philosophies of pool maintenance and TFP is kind of non-traditional? How many different methods are there? What is "traditional" if there is such a thing?

2) I went to 2 pool stores and talked to employees who seemed to know what was going on (not clueless kids). Both confidently told me that CYA protects the chlorine, but there is no need to set my target higher. I didn't have trouble finding CYA. It seems like a pretty standard thing. Are both of them that clueless about their own products? Am I misunderstanding? I dunno.

3) The test kit only goes up to 5. Assuming I do want to target a higher FC level, how do I measure it? Do I need another whole test kit?

4) I have trouble getting exactly 5 drops out of the test kit. It always runs or squirts and I lose count. Is it critical to get exactly 5 drops?

5) How long can I realistically expect the season to last in New Jersey?

6) Should I buy some kind of cover or put a tarp over the pool? Will that keep garbage out? Make the pool warmer?

7) How can I keep mosquitoes away when we're swimming? They don't bother me, but my son comes out with 25 bites!

8) I don't have any way to test CYA. I'm pretty sure I put in the right amount. I don't expect it to change much. Maybe it'll get diluted by rain water a little bit. Is there really any reason to test it? If so, how often?

Thanks in advance to anybody who wants to tackle some or all of those for me. :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

I will let others answer your specific questions. But wanted to suggest you go read an article in pool school. It's entitled something like use and care of temporary seasonal pools. I think it is in the how to section.

The really is only one proper way to maintain a pools chemistry. What tfp teaches is to test accurately and only add what your pool needs.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

I will let others answer your specific questions. But wanted to suggest you go read an article in pool school. It's entitled something like use and care of temporary seasonal pools. I think it is in the how to section.

The really is only one proper way to maintain a pools chemistry. What tfp teaches is to test accurately and only add what your pool needs.

Thanks. I've read it many times. That has been my bible!

Well, now I am at a computer so I suppose I will address them. See below in red.

I just have a 1000 gallon inflatable for the kids, but I do want to keep it clean. I'm also a professional handyman, so I want to learn a little bit about pool maintenance and generally know what I'm talking about a little bit.

A bunch of random questions:

1) I saw a few people recommending TFP, so I just came to the site and started doing it. Apparently, there are different philosophies of pool maintenance and TFP is kind of non-traditional? How many different methods are there? What is "traditional" if there is such a thing?

TFP is only non-traditional in the sense that we teach you to test your own pool and understand why and what you are adding to the pool; instead of trusting pool store tests and dumping in whatever random junk they want to sell you.

2) I went to 2 pool stores and talked to employees who seemed to know what was going on (not clueless kids). Both confidently told me that CYA protects the chlorine, but there is no need to set my target higher. I didn't have trouble finding CYA. It seems like a pretty standard thing. Are both of them that clueless about their own products? Am I misunderstanding? I dunno.

I think you are saying that they did not think you need a higher FC for higher CYA. If so, they either do not understand the chemistry or the are lying to sell you something. Seems like 99% of the pool industry ignores the FC / CYA chemistry relationship that has been know since the 1970s ... whether out of ignorance or deception ... pools stores likely believe whatever the pool chemical manufacturers tell them.

3) The test kit only goes up to 5. Assuming I do want to target a higher FC level, how do I measure it? Do I need another whole test kit?

Then you would want the FAS-DPD chlorine test. With your pool though, there is just really no need as you can drain and start over easily.

4) I have trouble getting exactly 5 drops out of the test kit. It always runs or squirts and I lose count. Is it critical to get exactly 5 drops?

Which test are you talking about? The OTO or DPD color matching chlorine tests and the pH are not too critical on the number of drops. But, you should not be having the liquid squirt out.

5) How long can I realistically expect the season to last in New Jersey?

I have no idea ... depends on how blue you want to let your kids get :D

6) Should I buy some kind of cover or put a tarp over the pool? Will that keep garbage out? Make the pool warmer?

The would be a good idea. Gets the debris out and may reduce evaporation which causes heat loss.

7) How can I keep mosquitoes away when we're swimming? They don't bother me, but my son comes out with 25 bites!

Not sure, don't have that problem here ;)

8) I don't have any way to test CYA. I'm pretty sure I put in the right amount. I don't expect it to change much. Maybe it'll get diluted by rain water a little bit. Is there really any reason to test it? If so, how often?

Only way the CYA would significantly change is if you physically remove some of the water, like from splashing or if you pump out water after the rain. Really is no reason to test it more often than every 2-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance to anybody who wants to tackle some or all of those for me. :)

Well, now I am at a computer so I suppose I will address them. See below in red.

Wow, you really stepped up to the plate, jblizzle! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. It's a huge help.

1) Based on your answer to my second question, I guess the "traditional" method is to ignore FC/CYA relationship.

2) It kind of blows my mind that they could be that clueless. It doesn't seem THAT complicated based on what I've read here. But I guess I've heard crazier things.

3) I could drain it IF I knew there was a problem. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I haven't done this before, but I've heard a clear pool is not necessarily a clean pool.

4) The pH test drips out fine just like my aquarium testing chemicals, but the OTO test is very awkward. I assumed it had a different viscosity or whatever, but maybe there is a little blockage in the tip or something stupid.

5) Or how blue my WIFE wants to let the kids get.

6) Evaporation causes significant heat loss? Whoa. That's deep. Hadn't thought about that. The effect is probably less pronounced in NJ than in your neck of the woods.

7) :/

8) Roger that. I can probably wing it for the rest of the season.

1. "Traditional" method seems to just be: Trust someone else to maintain your pool and tell you what to do ... or blindly add chemicals and hope for the best.
2. It is not complicated. But the pool store employees either have not been taught, or are being taught by chemical makers that may provide flawed information, or they ignore it to make more $
3. If the pool is clear and you have FC above the minimum for your CYA, then the water is safe
4. Yeah that does not sound right ... where did you buy it? Might try to exchange it
5. :)
6. True, the low humidity causes a lot of evaporation, and especially at night, can lower the water temps. A cover helps retain that heat

:goodjob:

I think I've pretty much got this. I'm just trying to figure out how to dissolve my CYA at the moment. Last time I just dumped it in the pool and it sat on the floor. I was smart enough this time to know that it was going to be a problem. The sock in the skimmer thing doesn't really apply to my little inflatable pool. So I mixed it in some hot water in a bucket and stirred the heck out of it. Still not dissolving. But it will.

I just mainly wanted to check in and express my appreciation for this site and jblizzle in particular.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent. Glad everything is working out for you. Awesome.

BTW...I use the sock method when adding a stabilizer to my pool. What's the sock method..well, it's something I learned here and it's excellent. I'm sure you've heard of it..To add a stabilizer, you can add the granular in a sock and hang it close to your return jet. You can gently massage the sock to dissolve the granular once you have it hanging in your pool (at least that’s what I do). It speeds up the process a bit. Wait 24-48 hours before you retest again your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.