Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
aka "What needs to change so I can control the spillover?"

I've been reading here about "Pool mode", "Spa mode", and "Spillover mode". However, for me, Pool mode == Spillover mode, and I would like to separate these two functions to better control pH rise. After playing with the valves available to me, it seems that my current set-up will always be spillover since what appears to be the spa return line is on the Pool side of the Intellivalve. To my noob sensibilities it seems the easy answer is to add a diverter valve to the spa return line so I can close it off when desired. Are there any caveats with that that I'm not thinking of? Is there another way to do this?

Attachments

• 20220212_145224-labels.jpg
    20220212_145224-labels.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 29
Yup, put a diverter to turn off the SPA RETURN line and use the SPA JETS as your spa return controlled by the IntelliCenter SPILLOVER mode.

Your builder did you no favors with that setup.

Should it go in place of the check valve or in line with it?

You need that CV to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off if you ever leave the diverter open.

You don’t have a lot of room to work with. If you can stack a diverter on top of a CV on that pipe it would be ideal.

R,

If your goal is to turn off the constant spillover, and only run it just to keep the spa water fresh, or to show off when you have guests, then you should shut off the Spa Return pipe with the check valve, and just schedule the IntelliCenter to run the "Spillway" mode once or twice a day for about an hour total.

In the spillway mode the IntelliCenter will set the Intake IntelliValve to suck water from just the pool, and set the Return IntelliValve to send all the water to just the Spa. The IntelliCenter would also adjust the pump speed for the amount of spillover you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, my goal would be to use the Intellicenter Spillover setting to have the spillover when desired and not a constant like the current set-up. Once I could do this, the current Spa Return pipe would be useless.
How would I shut off the spa return check valve?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.