Jsf721

Jun 24, 2022
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background-this pool is at a vacation home and I am only there weekends. I have lost the pool in the past and been forced to SLAM which I am looking to avoid, The best I can tell the pool is between 36-38K gallons. I have been managing to keep the pool clear but each year starting sometime in July I am running very high chlorine levels to compensate for the CYA build up since I had a bad experience before I knew how CYA affected my Chlorine. This is the main reason to want to change to SWG. I do skip an occasional weekend and I have a friend who watches the house and will dip strips, add tablets or shock when I skip a weekend.

A few questions:
1. I open my pool in mid March because I power wash and stain my deck yearly and need the house ready to go for Mothers day each year. When I open the pool its between 40-45 degrees will the SWG kick on at that low a temperature?
2. Can I use pucks after I open until its warm enough for the SWG to kick on?
3. Can I use powdered pool shock when a SWG is installed and running without damaging the SW Cell / plates if I need to quickly boost or sanitize the pool ?
4. Ideally, since I am off site quite a bit, I would like to be able to read the Chlorine level and control it from my phone via WIFI - is this possible? Not sure how much expense this WIFI control adds but I would like to hear both manual systems and WiFi controlled systems.
5. Is this a DIY project or do i need a company to install. I can go either way. I have an open 220v outlet at the pool equipment area.

I would like to go with the largest SWG so that I can run it less often, but still have the ability to turn it up when I want to "catch up" or solve a problem.

Would love to hear about brands you have used that you are happy with as well as those you have used that you are not happy with.

Open to all suggestions as I may have not even asked the right questions.IMG_5089.jpegIMG_5092.jpeg

Last edited:
1. I open my pool in mid March because I power wash and stain my deck yearly and need the house ready to go for Mothers day each year. When I open the pool its between 40-45 degrees will the SWG kick on at that low a temperature?
Not likely. I do the same and use liquid chlorine until the pool gets to about 55, then SWCG kicks on. Every cell is different, check the manuals. Most start working between 50 and 60.
2. Can I use pucks after I open until its warm enough for the SWG to kick on?
Sure, why not? If you know their impact on CYA, no issue. In fact, after winter, your CYA will likely be low.
3. Can I use powdered pool shock when a SWG is installed and running without damaging the SW Cell / plates if I need to quickly boost or sanitize the pool ?
Generally, we don't recommend powdered shock. However, there is no issue using it if you know what you are adding (Cal-hypo adds calcium, di-chlor adds CYA). We recommend using liquid chlorine to raise FC with a SWCG pool.
4. Ideally, since I am off site quite a bit, I would like to be able to read the Chlorine level and control it from my phone via WIFI - is this possible? Not sure how much expense this WIFI control adds but I would like to hear both manual systems and WiFi controlled systems.
There are no automated chlorine testing that we recommend. They tend to be unreliable, and inaccurate. Many here have automation to control the pool, lights and equipment. That all depends on your needs and existing equipment.
5. Is this a DIY project or do i need a company to install. I can go either way. I have an open 220v outlet at the pool equipment area.
If you are reasonably handy, it is a DIY proposition.
I would like to go with the largest SWG so that I can run it less often, but still have the ability to turn it up when I want to "catch up" or solve a problem.

Would love to hear about brands you have used that you are happy with as well as those you have used that you are not happy with.
Many here, including me, like the Circupool RJ series. I have an RJ-60+. You can buy the RJ-45, and get the RJ-60 for $10 more on this promo (link below). I am not affiliated with Discount Salt Pool, its just the way I bought mine. If you are going to go with some sort of automation, you should get the same brand cell as your automation. Circupool is a good solution for those without automation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsf721 and Jimrahbe
That picture does not look like a 36-38k gallon pool....just fyi in case you use pool math. There's a link
to how to calculate your volume according to length/width/depth of pool.

I have a pentair IC40 and the automation is great. We travel often and turn on "super chlorinate" when our neighbors
tell us there's a dust storm and we're not in town.
I have a 30k gallon pool and they should have installed an IC60. I didnt know what I didnt know at the time so ultimately it's our fault. We've had the pool 3 and a half years and the SWG broke just before we were out of warranty, thankfully!
Whenever we need a new one, we'll size up. And I think had we been better about properly cleaning
the SWG, it would still be working. But people do report issues in the 3-5 year range of having one so
take that into account.
Our SWG kicks in when it's above 52 or 54....something like that.
We use pucks in the winter because our CYA tends to be on the lower side and we've never had
issues. Never had a green pool either so I've never added shock that I can recall....but you can if you
needed to.