Trying to figure out if I need to drain

Jan 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Tucson AZ. The home of high calcium tap water and rapid evaporation...
I am trying to decide if I need to do a partial drain and refill.

Salt pool, 21000gal, pebble finish, built 7 years ago.

FC 3
TC 4
Temp 85
PH 7.4
TA 40ppm
CH 675ppm
CYA 30ppm

I've never had a problem keeping the LSI -.3 to .3 and I still don't. The only thing I add to the pool is tap water and Muratic Acid, about 1/2 gal every 7-10 days. I do know that if I let the ph rise above 7.8 that the salt generator throws flakes in the pool (obviously this makes sense)

I am still not having issues with chemistry, but I have started to notice the calcium line on the tile. By the end of this season it's getting to the point I need to do something about it. Couple questions. If I can keep my LSI around 0 or a little negative, should I even worry about the high CA? Just clean the tile and let it ride?

I've also been intrigued by the Orenda Scale control SC-1000 product and I thought maybe I would try it. Question is, do I band-aid my high CH and leave the pool as-is, or partial drain the pool and then start the maintenance application of the product?

Out of curiosity, I know there are several Tucson folks here... how often have you had to drain/partial drain around here? I feel like I'm doing pretty good for 7 years with the same water and a sparkling pool.

Thanks
-J

CH of 675ppm isn't THAT high. But chances are good it will go up by at least 250 in the next 9-12 months.
You may want to consider a drain/refill this fall or next spring - or certainly before any water restrictions on pool drain/refill are imposed.

When was the last drain/refill? I'm guessing 2.5 years ago.....

To better manage the waterline scale, keep the CSI between 0.00 and -0.30 - so slightly negative.
We use CSI instead of LSI - as it's more appropriate to pools

Are you using PoolMath?
PoolMath can easily compute the CSI for you.

What test kit are you using? Add it to your signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.