Trying to decide which solar pool panels to get

DavidInLA

Apr 20, 2024
Los Angeles
Hi all. I’ve decided that we will get a solar pool heating system for our pool, which is in the 12-15K gallon range. We have a hot tub as well. Our gas heater broke and we currently have no heat other than the Southern CA sun.

Some details about my system- 2 owners ago (>20 yrs ago), there was a solar system but it leaked onto the roof, so the previous owner had the panels taken down. The trenched plumbing is still there and as far as I know, the pipes are still good. There’s also a large 34 x 11 ft metal rack on the roof that’s “bolted” onto the roof at 18 areas. That’s where the prior panels were.

I did some reading about the panels and it turns out there are many different brands of panels with some minor and some major differences between the designs. I can’t find online which is the best in general, and which is the best for me. Everything I read is put out by retailers or partners of the companies that make the panels, and all of their points seem valid enough. I’ve had 2 companies come and give estimates, and their prices are pretty comparable. I will have a 3rd company come out this coming week. For me, other than price, the most important factors are, 1. maintaining the integrity of the roof, 2. longevity (prior panels from 2 owners ago eventually leaked), 3. efficiency. Obviously, I want the water to warm up, but one of my big concerns is having to repair the roof or the panels soon.

The 3 main categories of panels seem to be welded tubes, basically a bunch of tube weldged together in sequence, tube and fin, with a short segment separating the tubes, and separated tubes, where the individual tubes aren’t touching. I read that separated tubes are the least efficient because wind running between the tubes can cool down temps, which make sense. But since I have a rack, I’m worried that in a solid panel without gaps, the air under and over the panels on a windy day will cause enough lift (like a parachute) to stress the points where the rack is attached on the roof.

Hi all. I’ve decided that we will get a solar pool heating system for our pool, which is in the 12-15K gallon range. We have a hot tub as well. Our gas heater broke and we currently have no heat other than the Southern CA sun.

Some details about my system- 2 owners ago (>20 yrs ago), there was a solar system but it leaked onto the roof, so the previous owner had the panels taken down. The trenched plumbing is still there and as far as I know, the pipes are still good. There’s also a large 34 x 11 ft metal rack on the roof that’s “bolted” onto the roof at 18 areas. That’s where the prior panels were.

I did some reading about the panels and it turns out there are many different brands of panels with some minor and some major differences between the designs. I can’t find online which is the best in general, and which is the best for me. Everything I read is put out by retailers or partners of the companies that make the panels, and all of their points seem valid enough. I’ve had 2 companies come and give estimates, and their prices are pretty comparable. I will have a 3rd company come out this coming week. For me, other than price, the most important factors are, 1. maintaining the integrity of the roof, 2. longevity (prior panels from 2 owners ago eventually leaked), 3. efficiency. Obviously, I want the water to warm up, but one of my big concerns is having to repair the roof or the panels soon.

The 3 main categories of panels seem to be welded tubes, basically a bunch of tube weldged together in sequence, tube and fin, with a short segment separating the tubes, and separated tubes, where the individual tubes aren’t touching. I read that separated tubes are the least efficient because wind running between the tubes can cool down temps, which make sense. But since I have a rack, I’m worried that in a solid panel without gaps, the air under and over the panels on a windy day will cause enough lift (like a parachute) to stress the points where the rack is attached on the roof.
If you can get Heliocol do so. Separate tube design, so wind lift is not a major issue. The way the panels are connected eliminates the constant (at least yearly) tightening of a hose clamp on a rubber tube that eventually damages the panel header.

I can't find Heliocol in the LA area, but one installer does use Sunstar, which I believe are the same or very similar. However, the price they quoted is $1000+ more than iSwim and Suntrek
One of the companies said I could install a solid (not mesh) critter guard if I'm worried about lift.

I can't find Heliocol in the LA area, but one installer does use Sunstar, which I believe are the same or very similar. However, the price they quoted is $1000+ more than iSwim and Suntrek
One of the companies said I could install a solid (not mesh) critter guard if I'm worried about lift.
Sunstar panels connect similar to Heliocol so that is a plus. The iSwim panels use rubber tubes and hose clamps. These will need to be tightened, usually each year, as the rubber relaxes. The end of the manifold is then under more pressure and will start to deform, resulting in more tightening, etc. I used to do it all the time, just too old to get on roofs now.
The Suntrek systems are completely different. They roll out horizontally and all the plumbing is on one end. An interesting design. I installed several similar systems about 32 years ago with great success, they seemed to be very efficient. It was a business decision to stop doing solar installs about 20 years ago, but I try to keep up with what is available.
Have never heard of anyone dissatisfied with separate-tube panels.

Is there any downside to the horizontal Suntrek panels? Their ST panels also use separate tubes
Horizontal, vertical, doesn't matter to the Sun. The horizontal ones should have a very slight incline down toward the manifold for drainage Its a little noticeable and some of the customers I installed for weren't as happy because it didn't look uniform. Then they got used to the look and warmer water. My mistake for not letting them know before installation.

If the pipes from your pool pump are attached to the side of your home going up to the roof, you will notice a lot of humming noise inside of your house. No one talks about this with you prior to buying the panels. Beware!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Horizontal, vertical, doesn't matter to the Sun. The horizontal ones should have a very slight incline down toward the manifold for drainage Its a little noticeable and some of the customers I installed for weren't as happy because it didn't look uniform. Then they got used to the look and warmer water. My mistake for not letting them know before installation.
OK, so no particular advantages or design flaws? The slight incline makes sense. My priority is longevity.