Jul 5, 2017
Greenville, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Everyone!
Wish I would have found this site sooner I have been reading all the great advice (which would have been more helpful before we started building). Trying to decide on a plaster color. We originally picked Majestic Isle pebble finish which is a medium dark blue. Now after watching a bunch of pool building shows (man I don't know we watch them keeps making us second guess!) we are thinking we want to go darker.

Our pool as it is now.

Original plaster choice.

Look we want.

Are we wanting a black finish? It looks to be very dark blue to me. Anyone have a dark finish like this does it affect the water temp (we are in Dallas area and pool gets lots of sun)?

Looks similar to the color I chose but in a different finish Diamond Brite Steel Blue (it really changes color a lot depending on the light). I really like the darker finish. Living in the New Orleans area the pool does get warm but I much prefer it that way.

Pool Fountains.jpg
You can see the plaster sample in this photo (the small square). It has a pretty dark gray/blue base.
Pool Selections.jpg

Go with black. None of the dark blue finishes will end up that dark.

I doubt the darker color makes much difference either. My midnight blue Pebble is within 1-2 degrees of my neighbor with plain white plaster. The only place that does seem to get a little warmer are the areas less than 12" deep.

Given your location, your pool is going to get warm no matter what!

Out of curiosity what does your tile look like?
I went with a dark pebble finish and my water changes depending on the sun but it does have a green hue to it.

p84PvCd.jpg

A73KUeR.jpg

UK005Bn.jpg

That tile is one we seriously considered. We ended up using something very similar from NPT but with a matte finish.

I think the tan pebbles in your sample and the other pool shown above are what throw a bit of a green cast sometimes. I would stay with something that only has blues and blacks if you want to stay away from the sometimes greenish cast.

Well after several discussions my pool builder sent me these pictures of other pools they have built with the Majestic Isle plaster which all I like.

But when I look at pictures on the manufacture of the plaster website it looks like this which appears lighter. Hopefully it is just a bad picture on their website!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That first picture looks pretty amazing - almost like the waves reflect different shades of blue/aqua/teal and even some metallic looking colors in some places. The most active pool surface I've seen yet.

Of course....is it just that picture, that angle, that lighting? The Manufacturer shot certainly has a little variety in it, but not even comparable to the first one. Thanks for sharing these pictures, I will reflect upon this thread when I go to choose my new finish next year.

Yes I know I love the first one and that is exactly what we want! It does seem like the side of the pool closes to the camera is more in the shade and there seems to be a lot of shadows in play which may be part of the variation. I want to find out where they live and ask them if I can look at their pool! My builder swears they are all the same plaster and the same we originally picked so we are going to roll the dice and hope for the best. We are probably a 3 weeks out from plaster I will post some after pics for sure.

Well after several discussions my pool builder sent me these pictures of other pools they have built with the Majestic Isle plaster which all I like.

But when I look at pictures on the manufacture of the plaster website it looks like this which appears lighter. Hopefully it is just a bad picture on their website!

Hi there. I found your post as I am remodeling my pool and am looking at Majestic Isle for my pool finish. Is that what you ended up going with? Are you happy with it?

Hi there. I found your post as I am remodeling my pool and am looking at Majestic Isle for my pool finish. Is that what you ended up going with? Are you happy with it?
Yes we did. Here are some pics. We actually sold this house and built a new one along with a new pool. We are going lighter this time because we are in the country now and my wife was worried about not being able to see snakes and stuff :LOL: I did really like the water color on Majestic Isle in our last pool though.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    731.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 33
We are going light as well, as we do have coral snakes out here and I’m not interested in not being able to spot them. Here is one our neighbor found in their pool last year

Attachments

• 3A852100-BF9A-4057-9593-45108901F67E.jpeg
    3A852100-BF9A-4057-9593-45108901F67E.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.