trying to clear algae

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
I am deficient in the math department so bare with me.

Pump broke and hope the plastic repair of JB Weld will help, waiting for it to cure. The pump was loosing suction after a few strokes of vac I think it was a loose connection but I broke the sand filter plug tightening it. Pool has pond pump recirculating water breaking the water surface. Ran out of bleach and the labrador kept swimming, so it got a bit green.

I added a gallon of bleach this morning and here at test kit results.

16.6 FC
0.5 CC

250 total alkalinity

CYA 40 which is where it was pre algae

the city water always has high Calcium Hardness and there is no changing it so we don't test. It's like 300

pH is off the charts ( very deep dark color) and I forgot to test when the pool was clear. In general we used Muriatic acid last season, only 1 gallon I think to bring the pH down to 7.5.

I read you can't easily test pH to if the chlorine is high.

questions:

I am having trouble comprehending how to SLAM.
Seems like keeping the chlorine at 16.5 is good? I know there is a night test and pre sun up test but not sure. I think if the chlorine remains high it's good and I carry on vacuuming-but vac does work quite yet. I did find one screw together joint loose so maybe that is the loss of suction cause.

I could be at the point of calling in a pool company (maybe one does BBB) as my brain lesions won't allow me to understand the numbers things and my family doesn't really want to help. It was a monumental physical effort to buy this used pool ( new filter and pump and liner) and install...myself. I didn't realize my brain would deteriorate like this.

thanks all.

Tere, if you have algae, the process is outlined on the SLAM page (link below). But I'll outline a couple things for you:
1 - Lower pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid.
2 - Since your CYA is 40, your SLAM FC level is "16". It's important to maintain the FC of 16 throughout the day/night until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page. Don't worry about other tests right now. Adjust the pH and focus on the FC level. Don't worry about the overnight (OCLT) test until the tail-end of the SLAM when all algae is gone. Make sure to follow the notes on the SLAM page for best success. It will work, but it's not an overnight process, so have some patience and follow those instructions and you should do fine. Good luck!

Hi Texas, Is the pH test in the TFT 100 the small plastic box with the color key? My pH color is off the chart so how do you set a number to that? Should I just choose the highest number like 8.2 and put that in the Pool math calculator-add the muriatic acid and retest and see if I made any movement down the color strip and keep going till I hit 7.2?

I am holding the FC at 16 and the algae is clearing. I check morning and night. Should I check mid day? The FC drops to 3.5 by days end.

I have a hard time reading directions, even a frozen pizza box is hard.

Thanks

Should I just choose the highest number like 8.2 and put that in the Pool math calculator-add the muriatic acid and retest and see if I made any movement down the color strip and keep going till I hit 7.2?
Exactly! It's best to go in stages so that you don't go too low.

I am holding the FC at 16 and the algae is clearing. I check morning and night. Should I check mid day?
Check as much as you can or as much as needed based on the FC drop. Some pools lose FC really fast requiring frequent testing and additions of bleach. Others not so much. Your schedule might dictate what you can do, but try to maintain that SLAM FC level as best as you can.

I have a hard time reading directions, even a frozen pizza box is hard.
Good thing they have delivery service. :wink: Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.