Trying out the SlimeBag

It sounds like you have all you really need chemical wise trichlor pucks to boost FC and CYA over time, plus bleach for when you don't want your CYA to go up, most of the rest is just pH control, unless you have metals and looks like you have a fairly good test kit. It would probably help to do an an overnight chlorine loss test (dusk to dawn) to confirm you don't have anything living in there.

Ike
The local ferreteria said they could get granulated chlorine.

Would this be better for a quick boost of TC and CYA? Better than household chlorine?

The tabs take a long time to dissolve. How quickly would the granulated chlorine dissolve?

I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling your pool is going to turn green again. I just can not believe that what you are getting out is dead algae and I still think you need to follow the SLAM process.

You should raise the CYA some and keep more chlorine in the pool to hope to keep the algae at bay.

I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling your pool is going to turn green again. I just can not believe that what you are getting out is dead algae and I still think you need to follow the SLAM process.

You should raise the CYA some and keep more chlorine in the pool to hope to keep the algae at bay.
I paid close attention to your post.

I went on tour for 4 days, and before leaving added a lot of chlorine (granulated) and soda ash. I was somewhat skeptical of what I'd find on returning.

What I found was the cleanest pool I ever had here except for some debris the wind blew in. Zero algae in the pool, just some remnants in the homemade filter bags.

The numbers I came home to:

FC: 2.5
CC: .25
TC: 2.75
CH: 75
TA: 120
CYA: 45

I suspect the granulated chlorine is what raised the CYA to a good level.

I think my problem crisis is over, and I removed the bags. I will still use one to filter cistern water added to the pool, and will maintain solid chlorine levels.

Get that FC back up and stop using the powder chlorine so your CYA does not climb more.

How did you get a CC of .25?
It wasn't enough for .5, but more than zero, so a guestimate.

More chlorine (tabs) added after the water test. I'll be getting several big jugs of liquid bleach this week.

I vacuumed & backwashed the pool a while ago and must say it looks fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

I presume that you were unable to get DE to add to your sand filter. That usually helps with filtration, though there's nothing wrong with using your bag approach -- it certainly worked for you.
Hard to find DE here, and when I do, it's 100lbs. at a time.

This is an old thread I started a long time ago.

I thought an update may be helpful.

Originally, I complained about a terrible filtration in a 15k gallon pool that was poorly constructed, and with a sand filter about as bad as one could get.
It took quite a while to get the chemicals right..and the pool clear.

I cleared the pool by modifying Duda Diesel #1 1-micron singed polypropylene bags (7"x16"). I cut and resew the bags with monofilament fishing line so they easily clamp on the pool returns with SS hose clamps. I have 10 returns and use 5 bags. I suppose these bags are similar to a commercially available product but at a fraction of the cost.

I am here to say that since using these bags I have the clearest pool anyone has ever seen. It should be, filtered to 1-micron. The only downside is I have to clean the bags every couple if weeks. It's not that hard. I put the mouth of the bags over a PVC pole on a stand and hose them from the outside. No big deal, really. The bags catches all the stuff the crappy sand filter misses.

Speaking of the sand filter, I replaced the laterals, main tube and valve the last year, and it is still a terrible filter. The bags are the saving grace to water clarity beyond chemical balance.

I am a HUGE fan of these filter bags and am totally spoiled to a super clear pool. And with better filtration, the chemical upkeep has been super easy: I just maintain a good chlorine level with a bi-weekly addition of 2 gallons of liquid chlorine, and the ph has been rock-stable. The chlorine tabs I use do contain an algaecide & clarifier, so there is that.

But here is my question:

We bought a nice lot and are now going to build a house. The design is a "personal resort" with a 12' x 24' 10k gallon pool in the courtyard surrounded by U-shaped house and an 8' wall on the open U. I'm researching the options for pool equipment, and although I have made no "concrete" decisions(;)) (except I won't have a sand filter and undecided between cartridge & DE filter), I'm wondering if anyone has installed an in-line bag filter housing/vessel with a 1-micron filter bag after the main filter? The bags I use on the returns easily allow good flow until clogged. Seems a logical piece of equipment for someone now obsessed with super-clear water. Does such a product even exist? I'd rather not hang filter bags on the new pool.

And if you were going to build a simple 12'x24' pool where water conservation, simplicity, ease of maintenance and water clarity are important, what systems would you install without busting the wallet wide open??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.