Hoover, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
It's time to buy a new pool cleaner. The venerable pre-Hayward Tiger Shark we inherited with our home and pool has literally lost its mind. It started going downhill last season and now it's all but brain dead. It also ingested a couple of rocks last year, and the cost to replace the damaged filters, filter cartridge, and bottom lid assembly is about $200 alone. It's served its purpose, and now its time to move on to a more efficient and smarter cleaner.

I've spent the past week on this site scouring various threads about cleaners, comparing similar and dissimilar models, and listing pros and cons of each. I've settled on a Dolphin Triton PS. I'm ordering it within the hour unless someone here talks me out of it with a strong argument.

My criteria:

• Has to be intelligent enough not to get stuck in places like steps. As best as I can tell, most people find the Triton does well with this.
  • Needs to be a good wall climber and scrub the waterline effectively. Another win for the Triton.
  • Should have the option of ultra-fine filters. Many do.
  • Should have a reasonable capacity for stray leaves to get sucked up. Check.
  • Really want the ability to schedule the cleaner to run a couple times a week. Check.
  • At or under $1K. Check.

Things I don't care about:

• WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity
  • Remote controls
  • The weight of the unit (within reason)
  • The ability to ingest enough leaves to fill a five-gallon bucket. That's what skimmers are for, and if it gets bad, a leaf rake.
  • The ease of removing and replacing the filters/basket. I don't want something impossible, but if a kindergartener can't do it easily, that's fine.

Reactions: kdahlgren249
So, a bit askew from the Triton PS. I have a dolphin DX3, which is the earlier version of the Nautalus CC plus. It was acting strange this spring, so I bought an S200. I can't tell from all the charts, the difference between the S200 and the Triton PS.

Working with the S200, it has one door suction. The DX3 has 2 doors.

The S200 does great on the tile line, but just can't hack the corners of my pool. Many, many, many cycles and the corners of the pool are still visibily dirty. Throw in the DX3, clean.

I'm not too impressed with the S200 and am using the DX3 until it dies. (if someone wants a S200, PM me). Shape of pool for reference.

3 Trucks.jpg

Reactions: kdahlgren249
Many, many, many cycles and the corners of the pool are still visibily dirty. Throw in the DX3, clean.
The Nautilus CC was a close second on my list. You're not the first I've seen mention the corners; heck, you were probably one of them. That said, I'm used to brushing my corners because the Tiger Shark still left some spots in the corners as well. I would not think that - simply due to their form factor - pool robots are particularly adept at corners anyway. Some are probably better than others, though.

Reactions: PoolStored
The Nautilus CC was a close second on my list. You're not the first I've seen mention the corners; heck, you were probably one of them. That said, I'm used to brushing my corners because the Tiger Shark still left some spots in the corners as well. I would not think that - simply due to their form factor - pool robots are particularly adept at corners anyway. Some are probably better than others, though.
It is significant enough that I would not have bought the S200, given what I know today.

PT,

The Triton PS appears to be a clone of the S200. I have three of them and all of them work perfectly. My pool is a rectangle with odd corners and my other two pools are free-form pools. All gunite. None of them have the problem that @PoolStored is seeing.

I have no idea why??? I doubt that his robot is any different than the ones I have. Maybe shape of pool or the type of dirt or ??? All three of my pools are gunite.. Two pebble tec type plaster and one plain white plaster. Maybe it has to do with being a vinyl pool???

In any case, if I was looking for another cleaner today it would be the S200 "style" of robot.

I've said this before, but it is still true (for me...) If there is just one dime sized leaf in the bottom of my pool, it will be gone when the robot is done. It will just never eat the leaf while I'm watching. :mrgreen:

I guess the point is.. you can't really know for sure how the robot is going to work in your pool, until you try it out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PointeTaken
I've said this before, but it is still true (for me...) If there is just one dime sized leaf in the bottom of my pool, it will be gone when the robot is done. It will just never eat the leaf while I'm watching. :mrgreen:

I guess the point is.. you can't really know for sure how the robot is going to work in your pool, until you try it out.
Do NOT watch the robot...

I bet it's exactly like the manual vacs. Some swear that the wheel vac head works best and others the triangle with bristles while they both have the same style pool.

The wheel vac head did not work well at the old pool but worked great at the new pool. One was inground and one aboveground but vinyl floor is vinyl floor.

You know my opinion … they will die in 5 years give or take. They are not repairable. The cost of replacing the motor assembly is not worth it and so you’ll be buying a new robot when this one dies. As long as you are comfortable with the idea of spending ~$1,000 every 5 years on a new cleaner, then go for it.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as you are comfortable with the idea of spending ~$1,000 every 5 years on a new cleaner, then go for it.
$200/year to not have to spend an hour a week manually vacuuming (including the time to get everything set up, etc.) is absolutely worth it 🍻. Plus, I paid an additional $200 to extend the warranty to five years and get a replacement guarantee against power surges and lightning. If I get a lemon that decides to go bad inside of five years, I’m protected.

I love my Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus. I have a lot of stairs, ledge all around pool, and seats in deep end. It does a fantastic job. It climbs great, even with my ledge. Occasionally, it will get stuck on a stair, but not often. It send a lot of water through its propeller let a jet to help it dislodge when it gets stuck. I’d rather help it on rate I assign than do the manual work. What it pick up when the pool floor “looks clean” is amazing to me. I bought the caddy to store it on. During pool season I store it outside. Last year, I didn’t have the caddy so I made sure to follow the recommendations of storing upside down as to not squish the rubber scrubbers. I always rinse it and the filters after every use. Great investment!

Attachments

• 9DF1DC81-2951-473E-BA81-3C5516BA72FE.jpeg
    9DF1DC81-2951-473E-BA81-3C5516BA72FE.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1C98BBE9-539E-4FD4-91E1-DD40B5F096D3.jpeg
    1C98BBE9-539E-4FD4-91E1-DD40B5F096D3.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 004C034F-78A1-4C75-B689-D7C53880FA08.jpeg
    004C034F-78A1-4C75-B689-D7C53880FA08.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
I recently purchased the DX4. I had a suction vacuum before that I’d connect to the skimmer. This is better because it gets to most areas of the pool and doesn’t require my pump to be running to work. Also is so quiet! I got mine on Amazon with the three year extended warranty so it’s covered for 5 years. I know these robots are pricey, but feels worth it to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.