kbuhagiar

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2022
Escondido, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello Folks,

I'm trying to track down a problem with reduced pressure at the pool returns. I noticed it about two weeks ago, and it seems to be getting worse. My cheesy little plastic fountain feature used to spray water about six inches into the air and now it is down to a dribble. I have also noticed a continuous flow of small (about 1/4") air bubbles coming out of the other three returns. I can't find any air leaks on the suction side (checked the pump basket lid and it is secure and leak-free, no unions that could leak, and all other connections seem secure) and there is no unusual air bubble accumulation at the pump sight glass. The only difference I can document is that my normal filter pressure is 18lbs, and lately it has crept up to 20 lbs.
I do have a long-abandoned water conditioning system cartridge ("Fiberstars Catalyst") mounted inline between the pump and the filter. Apparently it required period recharging (removing & refilling) but I'll bet it hasn't been touched in over twenty years. Another source online (can't remember who) said that as part of it conditioning process it introduced air bubbles into the return stream.

Questions:
Could the slight increase in filter pressure be connected to my reduced return pressure? If not, where to look next?
Should I remove the catalyst? Can anyone confirm that it is supposed to put air bubbles into the return stream? I figured it may be inert but now I am wondering if it may be doing any harm.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and support.

Attachments

• Catalyst installation.jpg
    Catalyst installation.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CatalystBack.jpg
    CatalystBack.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 8
Ken,

The problem is that something is restricting the flow of water back to your pool.

Either your filter is dirty, regardless of what the gauge reads or that blue thing is clogged.

We need better pics of the whole equipment pad so we can understand the water flow.

Does all the return water flow through that blue device?

Is there any "magic" stuff still inside the blue device??

Thanks,

Jim R.

What type of valve do you have on the DE filter - MPV or slider?

The filter was completely broken down and cleaned two months ago, at which point pressure at the gauge was noted at 18lbs and I have used that as my baseline ever since.

You can easily have an algae problem that can clog a filter in two months or less.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and clean your filter.

Ken,

The problem is that something is restricting the flow of water back to your pool.

Either your filter is dirty, regardless of what the gauge reads or that blue thing is clogged.

We need better pics of the whole equipment pad so we can understand the water flow.

Does all the return water flow through that blue device?

Is there any "magic" stuff still inside the blue device??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

I'm away from the pool for a day and can't take any pictures right now, but I have become very familiar with all of the plumbing and mechanicals so ask away if you have any questions.

All of the water flows through that device. I have owned the pool/property for 14 months and have never opened it. Previous owners of twenty years did the basic minimum to maintain the pool so I doubt if that gizmo has been opened since they took over.

At this point I am leaning towards just removing it, if for no other reason to eliminate it as a potential trouble source, Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a replacement section of PVC pipe with unions on either end.

At this point I am leaning towards just removing it, if for no other reason to eliminate it as a potential trouble source, Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a replacement section of PVC pipe with unions on either end.

I agree... :goodjob:

I would backwash your DE filter and see if that initially solves your flow issue. If it does, I'd expect the problem to come back in a few days if your problems is algae. Keep in mind that you can have algae, even if the water has yet to turn green.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: kbuhagiar
UPDATE:

My other commitment today fell through so I returned home early and tinkered with the pressure problem.
First I removed the 'catalyst' cartridge. The unions were on pretty snug but they loosened without any damage. The canister itself was empty, save for an enclosed basket-like contraption (which I suppose at one time held the miracle chemicals, lol). Otherwise no other obstructions. Cleaned the ends and o-rings and lubricated everything and re-assembled it to the pipe. Turned on the pump, opened the bleed valve at the top of the tank and turned on the pump. I let about ten seconds of water flow from the bleed valve before I closed it. Voila, bubbles have disappeared and the fountain is back up to its former glory. Oh, and my filter pressure is back down to my baseline of 18.

I will be watching closely to see if the problem returns, as I'm not sure if I temporarily dislodged something in the filter upon startup or if I inadvertently fixed something in the catalyst gizmo. As a follow-up I will remove that cartridge again and see if I can remove the basket thingy from inside. If so I may just leave the hollowed-out canister in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Turning off the pump slumped down the dirty DE and cleared your filter for a while. The dirty DE will recoat your filter and you should see the problem within 2 weeks.

Reactions: kbuhagiar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.