Troubleshooting low pressure water flow into older Caldera inground spa

drsusan

May 14, 2024
South San Diego County in CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a small in-ground Caldera backyard spa that has a replaced pump, but now outflow pressure into spa is very low. Water flow back into the spa was next to none until we blew compressed air through the two drains and jets tonight which helped, but only a little. Has anyone had a similar problem and what do you suggest to try next next to fix our problem?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

We have a small in-ground Caldera backyard spa that has a replaced pump, but now outflow pressure into spa is very low. Water flow back into the spa was next to none until we blew compressed air through the two drains and jets tonight which helped, but only a little. Has anyone had a similar problem and what do you suggest to try next next to fix our problem?

Thanks for any ideas on this.
Dirty filter, bad O ring on the pump lid. Always suspect the filter first in any "low flow" situation.

Hi,
Thanks for your input. Yes, we already cleaned the filter twice and the o ring is fine.
We had a lot of rain here and a lot of debris got into the jacuzzi spa as it was underwater from rain a couple of time. There are lots of plants and trees in our backyard that make so much debris. That is why I suspected somewhere in the line of flow there is a block. My husband blew out the jets and drains with air pressure hose last night which gave a little flow, but it is still not enough. I know we have an old gas heater just to the jacuzzi spa that for some strange reason has the water go through it even when it is not heating the jacuzzi spa. I did not know that until last night! The gas heater was difficult to ignite that last time used around New Years. Could it be plugged up with debris and how do we check that?

Thanks for any ideas,
Susan

Hi,
Thanks for your input. Yes, we already cleaned the filter twice and the o ring is fine.
We had a lot of rain here and a lot of debris got into the jacuzzi spa as it was underwater from rain a couple of time. There are lots of plants and trees in our backyard that make so much debris. That is why I suspected somewhere in the line of flow there is a block. My husband blew out the jets and drains with air pressure hose last night which gave a little flow, but it is still not enough. I know we have an old gas heater just to the jacuzzi spa that for some strange reason has the water go through it even when it is not heating the jacuzzi spa. I did not know that until last night! The gas heater was difficult to ignite that last time used around New Years. Could it be plugged up with debris and how do we check that?

Thanks for any ideas,
Susan
If the filter is good, no debris should be able to get to the heater.
You could have a clogged impeller in the pump.
Open the lid, remove the basket, try to reach into the impeller (with it off, of course). If you can't reach the impeller with a finger, get a piece of wire and bend a small hook into the end and try. If, when inserting it, it hits something "mushy", not the solid feel of the plastic impeller, the impeller is clogged and you won't get flow.