Troubleshooting during freeze

mvandyke

Jan 15, 2024
dexter44!
Hey guys, new to the pool ownership game, and going through our first hard freeze with our in-ground pools/spa. We have thermal mode and it has successfully been engaging. When I went to bed the water was flowing from the spa over into the main pool like normal. This morning though the spa was frozen. Our pump is still running and the pool vacuum was running as well. I cracked the ice on top of the spa, but is there anything else I should be doing?

Hey guys, new to the pool ownership game, and going through our first hard freeze with our in-ground pools/spa. We have thermal mode and it has successfully been engaging. When I went to bed the water was flowing from the spa over into the main pool like normal. This morning though the spa was frozen. Our pump is still running and the pool vacuum was running as well. I cracked the ice on top of the spa, but is there anything else I should be doing?
I had a little bit of ice by the stairs where circulation isn’t as good.

I broke up the ice and bumped up my rpm’s a bit. Are you sure your spa is included in the freeze protection?
A little ice on the surface isn’t going to do much. The real enemy is frozen pipes and equipment from water not flowing through them.

I guess I’m not 100% sure, but there was definitely water running through the spa yesterday while the pump was in thermal mode (1000 rpm). I can bump up the rpms manually on the main pump. Is it ok that the pool vac is running or do I need to figure out how to turn that off?

I guess I’m not 100% sure, but there was definitely water running through the spa yesterday while the pump was in thermal mode (1000 rpm). I can bump up the rpms manually on the main pump. Is it ok that the pool vac is running or do I need to figure out how to turn that off?
Is it a polaris styled cleaner with a booster pump? I would think you would want that running so the booster pump did not freeze.

Is it a polaris styled cleaner with a booster pump? I would think you would want that running so the booster pump did not freeze.
Yes it is! And it’s running. I guess my main concern is that there doesn’t seem to be any water circulating in the spa (or at least not enough for it to spill over to the pool) and I’m worried about those pipes freezing

Yes it is! And it’s running. I guess my main concern is that there doesn’t seem to be any water circulating in the spa (or at least not enough for it to spill over to the pool) and I’m worried about those
I'd wait for somebody else to chime in, but I don't know if the booster pump will run in freeze protection mode but what are still runs through it.

I kept trying to turn mine on and freeze protection mode but it automatically would turn off and I think it's because water still is running through it.

Would like to hear other thoughts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.