troubleshoot Easytouch 8, solar and intelliflo and screenlogic problems

armstrr

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2010
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Ok, I have had issues with COM errors with an intellichlor in the past and Pentair was kind enough to send me a new motherboard, so I have swapped them back and forth a few times and am stumped and need help trouble shooting.

I cleaned the contacts to the intellichlor daughter board, so that now is communicating with the ET and will respond to 1% changes on the ET, rather than the 20% changes on the intelliclor's faceplate....cool.

so problem 1) I Cannot get my solar valve to operate. I have flipped the polarity switch, tried manually using the solar button in service mode, tried a different actuator, ensured there was enough of a temperature differential, and that solar is selected as heat source, and enabled.

Its highly unlikely its the ET hardware since I have a new one and both yield the same result. I guess I need a way to test the actuator. can I use a 12v battery (even though its 24V?)

problem 2) if this should be a separate post, please tell me MODs. (but perhaps this is all tied together?) Intelliflo is not communicating. I have a 2nd cable and tried it. same result. switched motherboard. same result. the original MB allows me to get into the intelliflo menu, but when I hit status, it says no comm. the new MB won't let me choose which type of intelliflo...likely the newer firmware locks me out because it doesn't sense the intelliflo. I have found the slightest of drips on a union which is above the pump..so its possible that some amount of salt water has migrated and done damage, or at least corrosion. I tried some NoOx on the contacts, no change. So how far would I need to pull the drive unit apart to look at the connector or electronic bits to see if there is corrosion. I have the VS version, last digits xxxx18. it should simply be plug and play, once communication is established, the ET takes control and the local panel on the pump goes out, correct? (I believe there are other versions that require some button pushing on the pump controls)

screenlogic 2 is not communicating. my pc auto updated to WIN10, but it appears Pentair does support this. after depressing the reset on the brick I was able to see it, and update it to 733 firmware. I uninstalled screen logic and installed the latest on their site. I get to the opening screen, and I can see the 6 digit brick ID listed, but then...nothing. SL2 won't launch. Any words of wisdom?

the system all ran great, with the exception of communication with the intellichlor, but that is now the only thing that is working! Well, I can still activate my lights by selecting aux1

A,

Instead of troubleshooting with a shotgun, I would suggest you use a single shot rifle. :p

If this were my system this is what I would do..

1. With the power off I would disconnect ScreenLogic from the EasyTouch's com port. Disconnect the SWCG by unplugging the cable at the EasyTouch. Disconnect the pump from the EasyTouch by unplugging the cable at the pump.
2. Turn the power on to the pump and test the pump to make sure it responds to commands from the pump's control panel.

3. Assuming the pump works.. With the power off, reconnect the serial cable to the pump. Turn the power back on to the pump and EasyTouch.
4. At this point your pump's display should read "Display not active". If so, that means the pump and ET are communicating.
5. Try the ET's main menu and see if you can select the type of pump, etc..

6. Assuming the pump is communicating.... I would then turn off the power to the ET and reconnect the SWCG's cable, and turn the power back on and wait until the SWCG's lights were not longer flashing.. (5 to 10 minutes)
7. Using the ET's main menu, I would then see if I could communicate with the SWCG by looking at the salt level, % of output, etc.

8. Assuming that the SWCG is working, then (with the power off) I would reconnect my ScreenLogic, power it back up, and see where I was....

To answer you question about testing your actuator.. You can't test with a battery because the actuator works off of 24 VAC not DC. If the actuator does not turn when you move the switch then either the actuator is bad or you are missing the 24 VAC. Other than making sure the little circuit breakers in the upper right side of the main panel are not popped, I would not even try to troubleshoot the valve problem until I got everything else solved first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim

Good ideas. I can say, the pump does operate as a stand alone unit using the pump control panel and scheduling abilities, which are a God-send while I figure this out.

I will do as you suggest and try them 1 at a time in the com ports. I will say, the ET comes with a poor method of connecting more than 1 communicating device to the same terminals. Getting the inteliflo, SWG, and screenlogic 2 cables into one set of screw terminals is frustrating. I believe there is an add on, but isn't the point of an automation system to hook up several pieces of equipment? a type of screw terminal with multiple wire inputs would have been appreciated.

A,

If you have the built in SWCG power supply there is a small card bolted to the back of the panel, at the top... This card has several com ports.. They are all interconnected so you should be able to use anyone of them.

Just make sure the little card has a small cable connecting it to the main PCB..

Jim R.

Another method, which I have used is to put a 22 Gage wire into the terminal about an inch long, strip the wire back on the free end then use a wire nut to connect the other wires to it. Way easier than trying to jam multiple small wires into the screw terminal.

+1 on Jim's step by step troubleshooting method.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

Updates:

I disconnected all wires from the com port and just tried the intelliflo. No change. its not communicating. I pulled the drive off, pulled the cover, disconnected all the wire leads I could (I couldn't tear it down too far...it appears to be fairly unserviceable, at least DIY). I reconnected after using some more NoOx. No change.

The intelichlor by itself didn't register either, but I only played briefely. I'll look at it again tonight.

The valve issue: I may simply have 3 bad actuators. I bought one on ebay to have a spare for a failed one, and figured it was the ET when the valve wasn't operating. I swapped in the ebay actuator...same result...nada. I finally through an actuator that partially failed...motor would start/stop randomly and when I flicked its switch, I could hear it buzzing, with a bit of fiddling, it rotated a few times. So I have ordered a NEW intermatic actuator.

I didn't have the time/patience to try the screen logic as there is no point unless at least the pump and solar valve operate.

The pins on the intelliflo communication port looked clean and no corrosion was visible from what I could see when I opened it. QUESTION, can ANY of the variable drive units replace any Pentair intelliflo drive unit? If I need to replace the drive unit, I may as well put on a VF (variable flow) version... IF it will work. any experience with that?

thanks again.

A,

I have no way to know for sure, but I would assume that if the pump's control panel is working, then it is unlikely that the electronics that that talks to the ET is not working. In other words, I don't think your pump is bad.

It could be of course, but I doubt it.

I would first want to see if my ET could communicate with anything, just to prove the comport is working. This is what I would try...

Measure the voltage between pins 1(gnd) and 4 (+15 vdc) of the comport.. The pump should only be connected to pin 3 (yel) and pin 2 (Green), but I want to make sure the +15 is working.. If the 15 VDC test ok then...

I would also connect the SWG to the comport and nothing else, and confirm that it works or not. Keep in mind that the pump/filter relay has to be closed to apply power to the SWCG transformer.

If you can't get either the pump or the SWCG to work on the comport, then I would suspect something is not allowing them to work, and not that they are both bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok. I'm hunting down a multi meter. In the mean time, perhaps I need to do a reset and reprogram. Im baffled by the easy touch logic. Can someone point me to a summary of programing pentair easy touch for idiots?

I he the pump on auxiliary 1, intellibrite on 2. Swg breaker hooked to pump. relay. And I have a solar valve and 3 temperature sensors (which might be the only thing I can confirm work!) again, I have a new mother board (but last month!) and results have been the same, so I think I have a bad actuator and improper programming of functions circuits and features.

Also have screen logic, which is stumping me too. Which it were plug in and play on computer!

Arm,

What pump do you have on Aux 1??? The power to the IntelliFlo does not go through any relay, it goes directly to the pump 24/7. The pump is controlled by a serial data cable between the ET and the side of the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have mis spoke. Power from the breaker does go direct to pump. The swg has wires connected to the filter pump relay

Also I confirmed 16 volts on the com port and all 3 com ports on the swg

Also confirmed 30v on solar valve which switches pins when solar is disengaged

Somehow the system programming changed after pool opening and solar actuator died, and the back up I purchased was a dud!

So I'm trying to go through manual and reassign circuits functions and schedules

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe a pic helps
0a02933d1fdacb4dafa70d0de6bf1a7e.jpg

Arm,

If at all possible see if you can get your ScreenLogic to fire up. It is dirt simple to use it to program the ET... I'd say it is 10 x easier to program with vs. the little LCD...

Use your PC to program and not your phone or tablet.

Thanks for the pic.. looks like your pump and SWCG Transformer are wired correctly to me...

Here is a pic of the main programming page..

dbtgallery.php

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok... So I won't back out, and RE-swapped the new motherboard in after shutting all the breakers and waiting 2 min.

I undid all the comport wires and moved the screen logic com port wires over to the swg motherboard. Buttoned everything up and turned it on.

The swg is now reporting in the diagnositic menu! Reading 3750ppm salt. Unfortunately no joy with the pump. The on board pump screen is lit up showing 0 rpm, so I hit speed one to turn it on.

I tried screen logic. It didn't initially start up, so I released the brick which went as expected and reported v7. 33. I entered the program this time used the right click and run as administrator. May not have done that last time. It's currently stuck on connecting to pool controller please wait. It's been like this for over 10min. So not looking good. The screen did flash to synchronize when I opened the android app, so I believe the program brick are working. I have 4 wire run to the panel... So perhaps the wire is damaged? Seeing the chlorination status does give me hope it's not the panel.

36679c3c3ad6b6501cee18c8de1f89ab.jpg
7eac8354b1b85ef82d65e8dab36349db.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.