Trouble with Jandy 4724 valve and 2" PVC

popechild

Nov 23, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Re-plumbing my pad and bought a bunch of Jandy 4724 valves to try for the first time. I'd been under the impression that 1-1/2" would go on the inside and 2" on the outside, but while the 1-1/2" fits snugly inside, the 2" looks like maybe you have to use a coupler for it since it's a very similar outer diameter to 2" PVC? I say "similar" because when I put a coupler on there it slides very loosely. Do I just glob a ton of cement on there and trust it to fill in all the gaps?

I also bought the 7235 1-1/2" or 2" check valve and a 2" coupler seems to fit snugly on that one, so I'm a little confused at why it's so loose on all the 4724 valves. Is there a different way these attach to 2" PVC rather than standard couplers?

You are correct that the connection sizes are 1 1/2'' pipe for the inside or you can use a 2'' pipe coupler over the connection. 1.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9inches and 2" PVC has an OD of 2.4 inches. You can use a caliber to measure that.
It should NOT be a loose fit as it should be snug with a dry fit.
Are you wanting to connect only the 2" pipe to it?

Last edited:
You are correct that the connection sizes are 1 1/2'' pipe for the inside or you can use a 2'' pipe over the connection. 1.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9inches and 2" PVC has an OD of 2.4 inches. You can use a caliber to measure that.
It should NOT be a loose fit as it should be snug with a dry fit.
Are you wanting to connect only the 2" pipe to it?
Yes, I'm trying to connect the 2" pipe. The pipe itself doesn't come anywhere close to fitting *over* the Jandy though, which is why I figured it might require a coupler. Is that not the way it's supposed to work?

Re-plumbing my pad and bought a bunch of Jandy 4724 valves to try for the first time. I'd been under the impression that 1-1/2" would go on the inside and 2" on the outside, but while the 1-1/2" fits snugly inside, the 2" looks like maybe you have to use a coupler for it since it's a very similar outer diameter to 2" PVC? I say "similar" because when I put a coupler on there it slides very loosely. Do I just glob a ton of cement on there and trust it to fill in all the gaps?

I also bought the 7235 1-1/2" or 2" check valve and a 2" coupler seems to fit snugly on that one, so I'm a little confused at why it's so loose on all the 4724 valves. Is there a different way these attach to 2" PVC rather than standard couplers?
Those valves are designed to have a 2" coupler over the outside of the port. You would be happier if you could exchange them for 2"-2.5" valves. Pipe would go into the socket. One less glue joint per port to worry about leaking.

Those valves are designed to have a 2" coupler over the outside of the port. You would be happier if you could exchange them for 2"-2.5" valves. Pipe would go into the socket. One less glue joint per port to worry about leaking.
Problem is I have to go 1-1/2" on the other side. Would it be better if I just use a reducer to go to 1.5" prior to the valve instead of using the valve as the transition? Doesn't create less joints, but prevents what feels like a loose coupler connection.

Problem is I have to go 1-1/2" on the other side. Would it be better if I just use a reducer to go to 1.5" prior to the valve instead of using the valve as the transition? Doesn't create less joints, but prevents what feels like a loose coupler connection.
A lot of joints, but that will work, I've done it in a pinch. Be sure to get a good "blue" glue and don't skimp on using it. Buy at least a pint can as it will go faster than you think if done right. Buy two and take the un-opened one back if not used, makes life easier and less stressful. You can never have too much glue available when doing this type of work. Never skimp on the glue to try to save, you will get leaks.

A 2" coupler should fit the same over a 2" PVC pipe as well as the 2" Jandy valve. Either should be snug fit.
You may want to switch to a 2" x 2.5" Jandy valve to avoid the coupler.

A 2" coupler should fit the same over a 2" PVC pipe as well as the 2" Jandy valve. Either should be snug fit.
You may want to switch to a 2" x 2.5" Jandy valve to avoid the coupler.
Definitely doesn't fit the same. The same couplers that are snug on the 2" PVC pipe have a lot more give on the 2" Jandy valve. As mentioned above, I can't go to 2" x 2.5" without then having to drop down after the valve to 1.5" since the return lines are 1.5". So seems at this point like I might as well reduce to 1.5" prior to the Jandy so I can use the inside on both ends.

Definitely doesn't fit the same. The same couplers that are snug on the 2" PVC pipe have a lot more give on the 2" Jandy valve. As mentioned above, I can't go to 2" x 2.5" without then having to drop down after the valve to 1.5" since the return lines are 1.5". So seems at this point like I might as well reduce to 1.5" prior to the Jandy so I can use the inside on both ends.
That is a good plan since you have the Jandy valves already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try a different brand of couplings.

If you push the coupling on the valve and you point the coupling down, does the coupling stay on or fall off?
If you push it all the way on, it has just enough tension to stay on. Give it a nudge and it slips and falls off. I was planning on coming out of 3-way T's just prior to hitting the valves anyway, so I'm just going to do 2" to 1-1/2" 3-ways and use 1-1/2" at the Jandy. Definitely a better fit on the inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.